• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

AR resonance mouthpiece

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MusickMartin

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 5:15 am    Post subject: AR resonance mouthpiece Reply with quote

Hi! I already have a allround and a lead mouthpiece, and i'm looking for a mouthpiece to use for more intimate jazz. I've been listening to some of the videos on AR's youtube-channel, and i really love the sound of some of the trumpet players. I've been thinking about trying out som AR mouthpieces and i might travel to try some out.
My question is, does anyone have experience with the AR mouthpieces and do you think one with a 10/L backbore and a 4.2mm throat could help me get a more airy/jazzy sound like in the links below? I already have a bit of a airy sound when i want to, but i wonder if the design of these mouthpieces (wider throats, shorter shank etc.) could still make a quite noticeable difference. I have tried other trumpet-flugel mouthpieces but they sounded more dull, probably because they had a cup that was too big. These guys doesn't use a big cup, mustly big throat and backbore it seems like. I'm aware that you really have to have a good technique to not burn yourself on playing bigger gear, but i think my technique has improved and it big mouthpieces doesn't really feel hard to play anymore (might get tired faster ofc).
(I know these are some of the finest players in the world btw.. but gear can make a difference.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNQHriNLvcQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ECOueiFoMI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FM08UeiJm4I
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you read all my posts you know I am huge AR fan There is just something about them that makes them the easiest pieces to play (for me).

The one caveat is that if you are used to (yes, I’ll use that term for once ) „American sounding“ pieces like GR, Warburton, or Lotus, your first experience with AR will be different. The sound is not as „dense“ and „focused“, less „brilliant“ if you like, and even my rather shallow ME top with an S backbore works on my rotary - though, of course, there are smarter choices for rotaries.

What I mean to say is: you probably don’t need to go extreme with AR. A 40 throat with a medium deep top like an MC and a fitting backbore will probably be plenty sufficient for achieving your goal.

Alternatively you could get a Curry TC piece, which often is my piece of choice for soft playing.

I know soon someone is bringing out the flamethrower, but those are my results with playing AR vs. other pieces for about 5 years now.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
MusickMartin

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for your insight Brassnose!! Yes, my main pieces for trumpet are GR and i'm very(!) happy with them for section playing (big band, horn section, concert band etc.). But your description of the AR mouthpieces being not as "dense" and "focused", and less "brilliant" is exactly what i'm looking for and what i love about those clips i listed, and I hoped AR mouthpieces actually would feel a bit different as you described (I get what you mean by less american sounding xD)!

Also thanks a lot for not just telling me to work on my sound or whatever (even though thats important ofc), cause i know from experience that mouthpieces can make a really big difference.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don’t get me wrong, I like GR and Warburton, too. Just found AR an even better fit for me. The sound „image“ I have of many American bands and orchestras is that their brass tends to be more brilliant or brighter sounding than a lot of the European counterparts.

I work on my sound too, but it does make a difference what you plug into the front end … my Curry TC is mucho different when compared to the AR or a GR SZ that I played for awhile.
1977 Conn 6B
MusickMartin

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see! I'm actually a really big fan of that brilliant and bright sound in a lot of music, but i also very much LOVE the more diffuse sound in a lot of other music, so if an AR piece potentially could shape my sound a bit in that direction it would be really cool!
I heard someone playing on a AR lead mouthpiece and even that one sounded more like you described the AR-"sound".
MusickMartin

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have any experience with bronze vs brass material?
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like a brilliant sound for quite some things, too. But not for everything, so I switch between the Bach for more powerful and the rotary for more gentle trumpet sounds. Truth to be told, I do not currently have a really brilliant sounding horn (but would be open to adding one to the stable have been looking but can’t really justify the expense right now).

In terms of material I have played or play brass, bronze, nickel silver, and buffalo.

The brass works for everything, nice and quite normal playability. In contrast to what many other players report I found bronze pieces (top and backbore) quite „stiff“ and slower to respond. My favorite is nickel silver: very quick attacks, enormous dynamic range, can be pushed really hard in fff but also responds very quickly at soft volumes. More brilliant (there we go again ) than brass.

Buffalo is very nice, similar to nickel silver, but much lighter. Throws off the balance of the horn a little - I’m currently experimenting with a sleeve to balance this out.
1977 Conn 6B
MusickMartin

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! Might try out a brass mouthpiece atleast then!
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Added bonus — I forgot: AR and Warburton threads are the same. So just in case you need more options, this opens up the playground even more. My experience is that AR tops and Warburton backbores work better than the other way around (dunno why, YMMV, …). My AR ME tops and a Warburton 6 backbore work together nicely; the slots are a little tighter than on the AR S backbore with the same top.

Also (important advice coming up! ): definitely talk to Tony at AR, the man is a genius when it comes to mouthpiece design. Quick and very useful responses, too.
1977 Conn 6B
MusickMartin

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, i see! Thanks a lot, its been really helpful!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: