• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

B&S Challenger 3137/1 or Yamaha 6310Z or Yamaha 6335

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ALETRUMPET

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 1:14 am    Post subject: B&S Challenger 3137/1 or Yamaha 6310Z or Yamaha 6335 Reply with quote

I have the possibility of these three used trumpets. Some advice?
ldwoods
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little context please? What horn do you play now? What type of music will you be performing? Do you plan to make it a forever horn or will it probably be something you resell soon?

Generally speaking, the B&S is a copy of Bach's 180/37. Some people actually like them better than a Bach, other hard core Bachists will frown, turn their nose and proclaim it doesn't "have the sound" of a real Strad. Truth be told, a lot of those types could probably not tell the difference if in a blind test.

The 6335 is a solid horn that can be used for all types of music. I played one a while ago and was pleasantly surprised at how well it played.

The 6310 is a small bore lighter horn. I have had a few of those and really liked them. My personal preference is for a lighter sound that has some brilliance or sparkle to it. Some people will suggest that it may not blend in a section or that the sound lacks "core", but I would not hesitate to play one if it responded and played to my liking.
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I´ve tested the B&S Challenger founding it a ´bit "unyelding", not that resonant, as the Jammies. On the other hand the Yamahas are probably a tad brighter - but also more easy to play. The Challenger is well built but to my ears, for lack of words more of an heavy axe when the Yamahas are lightweight, agile yet with an unmistakable core. More versatile, more easy to play.

May I recommend the Yamaha 6335RC - super horn and that to a modest (in comparison..) price? After 2-3 years I´m even more satisfied.
So easy to play, really helps you, big warm sound, really in tune all over; to be used in every setting with the appropriate mouthpiece.
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has your opinion changed from this post in August 2023?

ALETRUMPET wrote:
Instead, I want to suggest what you should NOT take: B&S Challenger 3137/1. I have one and it took me a while to realize how bad it is. It limits you a lot, especially if you're just starting out. I don't recommend it to anyone. I've read that there are those who appreciate it a lot and consider it a professional trumpet.
Forget it, trust me.

Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
ALETRUMPET

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
Has your opinion changed from this post in August 2023?

ALETRUMPET wrote:
Instead, I want to suggest what you should NOT take: B&S Challenger 3137/1. I have one and it took me a while to realize how bad it is. It limits you a lot, especially if you're just starting out. I don't recommend it to anyone. I've read that there are those who appreciate it a lot and consider it a professional trumpet.
Forget it, trust me.

Evidently! Ever changed your opinion? I currently play a Bach 37 and I'm no longer comfortable...I also switched to a Yamaha BSJazz mouthpiece because it's easier.... I'm getting older.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: