• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Next trumpet?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rhondo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
If you're hell-bent on getting a new horn - and before this thread closes you're likely to get as many recommendations as there are people - I would get a Bach 190-37. That Beast does it all. IMO a true "Goldilocks" horn.

Is there really that much difference between a 190 and a good 180 for a non-professional player? A 180 is closer to the price range the OP stated.

At my level I’m wondering if I can even justify needing a Bach, but having gotten an unusually good deal on an open box 18037 from brassandwinds (Mighty Quinn), it’s probably best I keep it and play it. It’s a nice horn.

Note to the OP: brassandwinds also has a great sale on Jupiters, which have had good reviews here on TH. Basically new horns that would fit right into your budget. 30 day return.
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Orion is not a better trumpet than your Getzen. Consider a couple of options before you spend $$$$ on a new trumpet.

1. Mouthpiece change. I believe you mentioned a few weeks ago that you used a Bach 5c? Try a Curry 5TC (cornet cup on a trumpet shank) or the Curry 5BC - a Bachish 5C rim with a "B" style cup and larger backbore and throat for a more orchestral sound. (The bach 5B is a wonderful sounding mouthpiece but the rim is completely different from the 5C.)

2. Custom made tuning slide in a different shape, bracing, and material/
https://www.mkdrawing.com/bach/

Best to tell them that you are trying to make a Getzen Eterna a little darker.

If that's not enough, then a used Bach or Xeno is probably your course of action.

Last edited by Andy Cooper on Tue May 21, 2024 10:58 am; edited 1 time in total
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhondo wrote:
Is there really that much difference between a 190 and a good 180 for a non-professional player? A 180 is closer to the price range the OP stated.

To qualify my statement and answer your question, I've never been (over half a century) a Bach person, not in their horns nor their mouthpieces. But the 190-37 blew mw away. So, yes MY 190-37 was better that the 180-37s I played in the past but my Bach "playing field" is hardly empirical data.

Adams A-9 Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Getzen Capri Cornet (for sale).
Rhondo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Rhondo wrote:

To qualify my statement and answer your question, I've never been (over half a century) a Bach person, not in their horns nor their mouthpieces. But the 190-37 blew mw away. So, yes MY 190-37 was better that the 180-37s I played in the past but my Bach "playing field" is hardly empirical data.

But you are or have been a professional player. I don’t know for sure but possibly a higher level player with more discernment than the OP.
Manuel de los Campos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

huntman10 wrote:
. The the Selmer K Mods in all bore sizes, including standard and light weight.

I consider the K Mods not suitalble for use in a symphonic orchestra. Olds Super and Studio are tricky as well
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ldwoods wrote:
You may also like a Flip Oakes Wild Thing, which is my other current horn.

@ the OP:

Oddly enough, I'm going to caution you about getting into the Wild Thing. It's very easy to play, don't get me wrong, IF you have decent chops and a good sound concept. It has a great sound that responds to a wide variety of mouthpiece choices and player approaches.

On the other hand, it produces a tremendously full (loud) sound when played in an ensemble, because it was designed to be sufficiently loud in outdoor, unmic'ed classical jazz venues and it does that very well, thank you!

This means that in an amateur-level concert band, I have had to learn to back WAY off in order to fit the balance of the trumpet section in a quite large community concert band. It can be done, but it's constant hard work. If the group you play in isn't afraid to let go and play, then a WT is a great and fulfilling choice. If the group is timid, there are choices that are more fitting.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
nick8801
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely agree with the mouthpiece/sound concept change idea. Your horn is already a great horn. I don't think it would be too far off from something like a Bach 37. I sat in with a concert band last weekend. Not something I do much anymore. I played my lightweight reverse slide Carol. It just wasn't happening in that situation. Borrowed a Bach 37 from a friend and it was exactly "that" sound. Anyway, good luck with your search.
rhatheway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Cooper wrote:
The Orion is not a better trumpet than your Getzen. Consider a couple of options before you spend $$$$ on a new trumpet.

1. Mouthpiece change. I believe you mentioned a few weeks ago that you used a Bach 5c? Try a Curry 5TC (cornet cup on a trumpet shank) or the Curry 5BC - a Bachish 5C rim with a "B" style cup and larger backbore and throat for a more orchestral sound. (The bach 5B is a wonderful sounding mouthpiece but the rim is completely different from the 5C.)

2. Custom made tuning slide in a different shape, bracing, and material/
https://www.mkdrawing.com/bach/

Best to tell them that you are trying to make a Getzen Eterna a little darker.

If that's not enough, then a used Bach or Xeno is probably your course of action.

I didn't know you could get a cornet cup on a trumpet shank, so thanks for that advice. I actually play a 5C on my cornet and really like that mp, so I may try that. And yes, agreed that the 5B and 5C are very different from each other. I also didn't know that you can get custom tuning slides made, so may check that out as well. Thank you.

That's why I really appreciate this forum, I'm learning so much!
rhatheway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shofarguy wrote:
ldwoods wrote:
You may also like a Flip Oakes Wild Thing, which is my other current horn.

@ the OP:

Oddly enough, I'm going to caution you about getting into the Wild Thing. It's very easy to play, don't get me wrong, IF you have decent chops and a good sound concept. It has a great sound that responds to a wide variety of mouthpiece choices and player approaches.

On the other hand, it produces a tremendously full (loud) sound when played in an ensemble, because it was designed to be sufficiently loud in outdoor, unmic'ed classical jazz venues and it does that very well, thank you!

This means that in an amateur-level concert band, I have had to learn to back WAY off in order to fit the balance of the trumpet section in a quite large community concert band. It can be done, but it's constant hard work. If the group you play in isn't afraid to let go and play, then a WT is a great and fulfilling choice. If the group is timid, there are choices that are more fitting.

Good advice, thank you.

Fortunately, our director seems to like all the brass sections a lot, because he's constantly selecting music that highlights brass. This means he is constantly telling us to play louder!
rhatheway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Unless you're playing in a very good semi-professional, or better, orchestra, you don't need another horn. I played a Severinson, professionally, not only in big band and commercial settings, but in wind ensembles and varied classical ensembles. Mental imagery and the right mouthpiece make a big difference.

FWIW, I used a Purviance 4*D4 for big band and commercial playing and a Schilke Model 11 for classical. YMMV.

If you're hell-bent on getting a new horn - and before this thread closes you're likely to get as many recommendations as there are people - I would get a Bach 190-37. That Beast does it all. IMO a true "Goldilocks" horn.

While I wish I could say that our community band was even close to the semi-professional level, I can't. But that doesn't mean we aren't good. We're not bad, and our director constantly challenges us by choosing music that is difficult to push us to grow and become better musicians (which I appreciate).

Re: mps - I have a Schilke 11, but it doesn't do it for me. My main mp is an original Purviance 4*K4, which I really like. I looked up the specs for the 4*D4, but the specs say it's actually smaller than the one I play now, so don't see an advantage to trying it. Maybe a 5*3 might be worth checking out, do you have any experience with that one?
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2024 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Maybe a 5*3 might be worth checking out, do you have any experience with that one?"

I just saw this, sorry. I have no experience with that mouthpiece.

Adams A-9 Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Getzen Capri Cornet (for sale).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: