• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Back 7c - is it time to change?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
birdman19

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 9:28 pm    Post subject: Back 7c - is it time to change? Reply with quote

I've been on a Bach 7c mouthpiece since I started playing (about 5 and a half years), and my teacher says it's fine. However, every other trumpet player I've spoken to says that I'm "beyond it" and it's a "beginner mouthpiece". Is this true? Is it worth switching to something like a 3c perhaps, or is the 7c fine? I have tried a 3c before and it did seem to be more comfortable but I'm not sure.
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Back 7c - is it time to change? Reply with quote

birdman19 wrote:
However, every other trumpet player I've spoken to says that I'm "beyond it" and it's a "beginner mouthpiece". Is this true?

No.
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mpc
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
my teacher says it's fine. However, every other trumpet player I've spoken to says that I'm "beyond it" and it's a "beginner mouthpiece".

Do you have reason to doubt the advice of your teacher? Are the other trumpet players you refer to professionals who have heard you play?

As for the Bach 7C being a solely beginner's mouthpiece...it is true that many players start on a 7C. Equally important to note that the 7C continues to work fine for many players -- including professionals -- throughout their career.
david johnson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It isn't a beginner mouthpiece. It's a mouthpiece in most beginner horns. That's because it can work well for most people. I now use the 7c and 5c on most occasions. That's after decades of playing a 1 and, sometimes, a 3c. Play what you like. Those who don't approve can buy you a new one.
Heinz

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using a 11B4 for years and I'm playing for 20+ years (no pro). Yamaha offers this mouthpiece by their student trumpets. If you like you're 7C, then stick with it.

But there is nothing wrong to try a 3C. Maybe you like it more.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 7C was so good and appropriate as a MOR mouthpiece that it was included in many new trumpets. That has nothing to do with its being a beginner-specific mouthpiece. It speaks more to its universality.

If you want to change, the Schilke Model H (now Model 11) was patterned after Adolph Herseth's Bach 7C but is, for some, a little more user-friendly. It doesn't have quite as sharp an inner edge. I played the Schilke in H.S. and part of college. It has a nice, rich and adaptable tone. I used it for all styles of music.

Adams A-9 Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Getzen Capri Cornet (for sale).
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been using my JK 5C for only 44 years now. First piece I ever owned and still use it for rotary and for my C. Switched to AR for piston Bb about 5 or 6 years ago.

Play what you like — my beginner 5C suits me just fine
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 8:04 am    Post subject: Talk to teacher Reply with quote

Duplicate
Jupiter 9e silverplated short shank mouthpiece
Bach Megatone 5B mouthpiece

Last edited by jondrowjf@gmail.com on Fri May 24, 2024 8:28 am; edited 1 time in total
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Talk to teacher Reply with quote

Welcome to trumpetherald.
Before changing you mouthpiece have an in-depth conversation with your teacher. Ask if changing mouthpieces would result in any setbacks if you switched.
Both the 7 C and a 3C mouthpieces are excellent choices for mouthpieces. Mouthpieces are very personal. I like 5 B or 5C on trumpet, 4 , 5 C on cornets.
Jupiter 9e silverplated short shank mouthpiece
Bach Megatone 5B mouthpiece
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Back 7c - is it time to change? Reply with quote

birdman19 wrote:
... says that I'm "beyond it" and it's a "beginner mouthpiece". ...

---------------------------------
The idea of 'being beyond it' ought to mean that it is somehow limiting your playing or sound - unless someone can talk with you about that in 'understandable detail', then I wouldn't be concerned about it.
My situation is that I've been using a Bach 7 (no letter) for more than 60 years, and have no reason to change.

The talk of the 7C being a 'beginner mouthpiece' is primarily due to its size working well for many people (that's why it is often included with new trumpets). It is not like 'training wheels' on a bicycle, it is a legitimate professional quality mouthpiece that happens to fit and work well for many players.

Sure, many people use other mouthpieces, but that is usually because they have happened to find one that WORKS BETTER FOR THEM - not to overcome any sort of beginner-design 'flaw' or 'deficiency' in the 7C.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

p.s. You can change the thread title from "Back" to "Bach" by just hitting the edit button.

Adams A-9 Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Getzen Capri Cornet (for sale).
Rhondo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bach included a 7C mouthpiece with their as recent as last year 180 series Strads- at least with the 37 bell anyway.
For some reason they include a 3C with the new 190 series.
mograph
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Back 7c - is it time to change? Reply with quote

birdman19 wrote:
However, every other trumpet player I've spoken to says that I'm "beyond it" and it's a "beginner mouthpiece". Is this true?

No.

Mouthpieces don't work that way.

IMO, you change pieces when you know what you want to achieve, and when your current mouthpiece won't give you that specific thing you want to achieve.

In other words, you have to be dissatisfied with some specific aspect of your current mouthpiece, not listening to what a bunch of amateur players say. I say that because a pro would ask you more specific questions about what specific needs aren't fulfilled by your current piece, and they'd probably say something like, "if it's working for you, stick with it, until it isn't."

So, until you know what specific aspect of your playing could be helped by a mouthpiece that has a specific component (e.g. flatter rim for comfort, but sacrificing precision)

So get to know your playing, and ask your teacher if they think a mouthpiece would help some specific aspect(s) of your playing. But from what it sounds like, your teacher thinks your playing is fine for now.

But no, a 7C is just a size. It's not a "beginner level."
Playing for fun since 1979.
Fmr member 48th Highlanders of Canada Mil Band
Into that jazz devil music
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Back 7c - is it time to change? Reply with quote

mograph wrote:
In other words, you have to be dissatisfied with some specific aspect of your current mouthpiece, not listening to what a bunch of amateur players say. I say that because a pro would ask you more specific questions about what specific needs aren't fulfilled by your current piece, and they'd probably say something like, "if it's working for you, stick with it, until it isn't."

Agree with everything else you wrote, but unfortunately in my experience not all ‘pro’s’ take that approach when it comes to gear.
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mpc
EdMann
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2024 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was listening to a friend play next to me in a section, he's in his 70s, and I remarked to him how wonderful his sound was and how clear and crisp he was playing. I asked him the usual, "what's that mouthpiece,", and he said, "A stock 7c, same one I've been playing since I was a kid." It sure works for him.

ed
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2024 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Is it worth it to (blank)" is a question that comes up on discussions of any topic all the time.

There is no right answer. Try a different piece or 100 if you want to, don't try them if you don't want to. Your teacher says it's fine, so as long as he's your teacher and he's not telling you to change then you don't have to.
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2024 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing to clarify, it a Bach 7C or simply marked 7C with no brand name?
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2024 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what Vincent Bach said about the trumpet 7-C mouthpiece in his 1956 "Genuine Bach Mouthpieces" catalog that I have in hand:
"This new, improved 7-C mouthpiece is the last word in the art of mouthpiece making. Its sparkling, brilliant tone, free of nasal twang, is ideal for dance music, stage presentations, "firework" performances, and trick work where a player is required to perform the seemingly impossible. Preferred by beginners, advanced school musicians who desire to progress quickly and by many symphony artists who regularly interchange between Bb, C, and D trumpets. It is the mouthpiece you can buy blindfolded if you are not set on any other particular model."

I realize that 1956 was 68 years ago, but Vincent Bach's concept for the 7-C is still the same. Best wishes.
Druyff
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2024 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, if it suits you it suits you. Other mouthpieces are not better or more professional, just a bit different. Some promote a more more sparkly and bright sound, others more velvety or round or allow more air to pass thru which may or may not be helpful. Some might feel more comfortable on your face depending on your teeth. There are just way too many options and it's quite confusing but the main point is that you have one that you can work with, matches how you want to sound and that doesn't hurt or needs a lot of effort to play in tune.

Last edited by Druyff on Sat Jun 01, 2024 3:53 am; edited 2 times in total
Druyff
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2024 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plankowner110 wrote:
I realize that 1956 was 68 years ago, but Vincent Bach's concept for the 7-C is still the same. Best wishes.

I have one from that era and a more modern one and they are wildly different mouthpieces. So different it's not even funny.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: