• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Cases for Tpt + Flg or Tpt + Tpt, WITH mutes AND music?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
boxheadboy50

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 10:09 am    Post subject: Cases for Tpt + Flg or Tpt + Tpt, WITH mutes AND music? Reply with quote

Hi all - I'm in the market for a new trumpet case. I'm looking for something that would fit the below requirements.
    Holds one of the following combinations, plus mutes AND a standard orchestral folder
    - Bb + flugel
    - Bb + C
    - Bb/C + picc
I'd like it to be a little sturdier/tougher than a shoulder strap gig bag - if I drop it from, say, knee height, I'd like to not panic about it.

I thought maybe the Gard Compact Triple was the answer, but I found that it's too small to carry a folder. I was looking at their trumpet + flugel case, but I would have to get inserts of some kind to carry a Bb and a C (maybe that's not so bad?).

I also saw a couple neat ones from Raw Brass Trumpets, but I'm not sure they're the answer, either.

Anyone have any other recommendations?
Lotus TurboWood 2L
rhatheway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Protec C248 bag. It has three compartments, 2 large zippered pockets (one on each end), one very large zippered pocket on the side (holds my music folder, mps, and other misc. stuff), plus has an attachable mute bag (or you can put them inside the bag). I typically carry my trumpet, my cornet, my mutes, mps, music, clip-on stand mute holder, clip on stand LED light, and still have some room if needed.

It's a soft side case, so not sure if it would meet your drop requirement though. Other than that, it has plenty of room for everything I carry.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/protec-c248-deluxe-triple-trumpet-bag
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only case/bag I know of that would have room for a trumpet, flugelhorn, a folder AND mutes is one of the Super Triple gig bags (Gard or Cronkhite).

Sounds like you are looking for something potentially more protective than that. I can't think of a single bag solution. If you are willing to consider a separate bag for accessories (mutes, folder), then the Gard Elite flugelhorn-trumpet bag is very well-made and reasonably protective. Paired with a My Mute Bag (trombone model or trumpet black model will hold a large folder), you'd be all set.

Looking at the other combos you are interested in, the Gard Elite Compact Triple would potentially work fine. It can hold two B-flats or a B-flat and a C, along with 5 mutes (straight, cup, solotone, Harmon and plunger). A folder will just barely fit in the large pocket, but will be too tall for you to close the zipper. As long as you keep the bag upright that's not a big deal.

If the other configuration you are talking about is a B-flat, C, AND a picc then you won't be able to put the mutes in the Gard Elite Compact Triple and would need some extra pads to keep the picc in place (or you could rig up something with towels or soft foam).

If it is a B-flat and a picc OR a C and a picc then the Gard Elite Compact Triple would be fine.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Messina Covers - Triple. They can customize to your liking as well.
I prefer my 2.5 - I use this case far more than any other

The Protec Triple bag has all the pockets, just a little on the less protection for the horns side. - But I've worn a couple of these out too.. just knowing it's really a bag, don't throw it around like a hard shell case.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe too soft for the OP's requirements, but the Gard 9-MSK holds a flugel and two trumpets, or a flugel, one trumpet, and mutes, or flugel, trumpet, and short model piccolo with room for a quad mouthpiece pouch. I usually use the third option and have a Protec mute bag that clips onto my Gard bag. It also has a zippered pocket on one side for accessories or a tablet, and an open pocket on the other side that will hold a large folder.

I've never dropped my Gard bag so I don't know what would happen, but the suspension system keeps the horns from touching the sides and bottom of the bag and may be more protective than a bog-standard triple gig bag.

The 9-MSK or 9-MLK (leather) is reasonably priced compared to some of Gard's other offerings.

If you're looking for something sturdier, there's the Stomvi Quad, but it retails for $475. It can be configured for flugel, trumpet and pic, or flugel, trumpet and mutes, or 3-4 trumpets, etc. It's compact enough to meet airline carry-on requirements.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1977 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
1995 UMI Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
TJTS

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaferis wrote:
Messina Covers - Triple. They can customize to your liking as well.
I prefer my 2.5 - I use this case far more than any other

The Protec Triple bag has all the pockets, just a little on the less protection for the horns side. - But I've worn a couple of these out too.. just knowing it's really a bag, don't throw it around like a hard shell case.

This. I use a Messina Triple daily.
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Protec 301T triple trumpet case (not the bag) might meet your criteria. The side pocket is surprisingly large and can easily fit an A4 sized binder, and a (small) music stand. Also, just to try, I went to see how many mutes I could fit in there (along with a binder); while snug it did fit a straight, cup, harmon, plunger and bucket mute, and the zipper still closed. It would require you to be careful with the side of the case though, as the pocket itself doesn’t add a lot of protection for the mutes.

Alternatively, you could attach a Protec mute bag to a case of your liking.
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mpc
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fusion triple. Been using mine for over a decade now and had zero issues. Fits a Bb, a flugel, mutes, music folders, music stand, all the small parts. Heavy if fully loaded (surprise ) but still very comfortable to carry.

While I like the Protec hardshell construction I think their click-on backpack straps must have been designed by someone who never even tried them out. Very uncomfortable.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: