• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Taps Across America

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rhatheway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2024 4:17 am    Post subject: Taps Across America Reply with quote

On Memorial Day, Americans remember those who have died in military service to the United States. THE NATIONAL MOMENT OF REMEMBRANCE is an annual event that asks all citizens, wherever they are at 3:00 p.m. local time, to pause for a duration of one minute in silent tribute to the men and women who have honorably served in uniform and to those who made the ultimate sacrifice for our nation.

The time 3 p.m. was chosen because it is the time when most Americans are enjoying time off from work for the national holiday. The Moment was first proclaimed in May 2000 for Memorial Day that year, and was put in law by the United States Congress in December 2000.

TAPS ACROSS AMERICA is an all inclusive patriotic event that honors our nation’s veterans each year on Memorial Day.

TAPS ACROSS AMERICA provides an opportunity for all musicians of any age or ability the honor of sounding live Taps in recognition of the sacrifice of those veterans that have passed in service to their country.
Registration for Taps Across America 2024 is OPEN!

TAPS ACROSS AMERICA originally began in 2015 by retired Air Force bugler Jari Villanueva and took off nationally in 2020 during the pandemic when picnics, parades, and other celebrations were cancelled due to the COVID pandemic.

The response was overwhelming: More than 10,000 musicians joined in a nationwide salute to remember fallen service members. TAPS ACROSS AMERICA brings the country together, offering everyone an opportunity to Honor, Reflect and Remember in the true spirit of Memorial Day.

The 5th annual TAPS ACROSS AMERICA event will happen on Memorial Day, Monday, May 27, 2024 once again bringing together thousands of musicians to sound Taps at 3 pm (local time).

For more information on TAPS ACROSS AMERICA or to register to show that you join thousands of others in playing Taps at 3pm, visit: https://www.tapsacrossamerica.org/

---------------------------------------------------------------

I will be playing Taps today at 3pm my time. I ask that you consider joining me wherever you live as well by playing Taps to honor these American hereos.
WxJeff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2024 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will be my third year. The previous two years I played at our local city park with 10-15 attendees (the city posted the event on their FB page.) I enjoyed visiting with my fellow veterans before and after playing.

This year I was contacted by a local wildlife refuge (the manager is a Gulf War Vet) who have also publicized via FB. The response of the public (and perhaps the wild animals) could be interesting
A.N.A.Mendez
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2024 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doing echo taps over the valley today at three with my neighbor ..... Been doing this for 6-8 years 3PM
In Ca.

☛ "No matter how cynical you get, it's never enough to keep up" Lily Tomlin☚
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2024 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just now played Taps from by back patio, out over the neighborhood towards the valley.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
the blowhard

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2024 5:21 pm    Post subject: Taps across America Reply with quote

Played Taps this afternoon. My 2nd year of doing this. I play it out over the lake we live on. I'm up on a hill about 20 feet over the lake. There was no breeze at all and the air was heavy, so I knew the it would carry over the entire lake. Perfect conditions. I cracked the third note!
WxJeff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2024 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WxJeff wrote:

This year I was contacted by a local wildlife refuge (the manager is a Gulf War Vet) who have also publicized via FB. The response of the public (and perhaps the wild animals) could be interesting

The director of the wildlife sanctuary is a Gulf War Vet and we gathered around a flag that his unit had used in Iraq. The founder of the sanctuary is a Korean Veteran who, fearing for his life on the 38th parallel, promised God he would do something for the community and children if he were allowed to get home safely. I watched multiple families with very small children enjoying the animals and the environment while I waited to participate.

Oh, and the peacock decided to add his embellishment at the end of each Taps phrase
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: