• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Burbank Restoration!!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TimBrown
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FINALLY! I have the money to get my horn restored! Following is a link to how I'm thinking of having them finish it...something different than all silver.

http://home.earthlink.net/~tjbrown527/restoredburbank2.jpg

What about the lacquer braces? Overkill?

(edit) They have the horn and they should be looking at it soon.

Thanks!

TIm

...and a little Quaker State 10w30.

[ This Message was edited by: TimBrown on 2004-04-11 20:01 ]
Tom LeCompte
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! The Z braces look a little over the top to me. But it's your call.
TimBrown
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. That's why I'm asking (of course). It's a fence, and I'm not sure which way to go. Too bad you can't have swappable braces!
Tom LeCompte
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe we should look at it this way - Benges and Benge-derivatives are not all that common horns, and maybe the thing to do is to emphasize the differences between what else is out there. The three big differneces are the high valve stems, the forward second valve slide, and the rubber/plastic thingies on the water key and slide stop.

Nothing can be done with the second valve slide, because nobody is going to see it.

I'm not sure you want to do anything with the water key and slide stop. IF you use a valve guard, making them match in color may be an option to consider. Wouldn't cost a lot of money.

You're already gold plated the valve stems. So maybe the thing to do is leave the Z-braces as they are, and let the viewers attention be drawn to the valves.

Cheers,

Tom
TimBrown
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, actually, that's not gold plate but lacquer (Cut and pasted from another Kanstul trumpet image) But your point remains very valid.

Having thought it over, I think it's better to leave the braces in silver. My idea is that I want something that has better appeal should I decide to resell. Obviously, valve caps and buttons are swappable so that's a non issue, except for simply purchasing the parts.

I can't put my finger on why, but I don't really care for lacquering the first valve slide....maybe because of the 'J' shape of that slide??? Plus once I see a ton of jobs like that, how is it any different???

I was considering a brushed finish but there are two thin spots on the bell taper (where your left hand makes contact). I don't want the brass made even thinner.

Might be better just to get a gold plated CG3 to finish it off.

Thanks for your input. I really appreciate it. Again, I wanted to be careful not to spend money on something that would make it worth less should I want to sell it.

Tim
1912 Holton New Proportion cornet
Kanstul CCF 925 flugel
King 1122 MFH

10 out of 10 people die. Do you consider yourself to be a good person?
djm6701
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, you could not get a brushed finish without stripping the silver off in the first place. The raw brass is what is brushed, then the silver plate is applied on top of it. The silver is so thin that the brushed texture shows through.

(Oops - I see I misread this - you said brass would be thinner, not silver would be thinner)

I would agree with not plating the Z braces - too much gold is not that great looking unless the whole horn is done in it.

GR 65.6 Mouthpiece

[ This Message was edited by: djm6701 on 2004-04-12 14:43 ]
bgwbold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are ever thinking of selling, chances are less customizing is going to make it easier to sell.

Mike
_gmdean
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought but email lee at first class brass here in England and ask what he could do.
http://www.firstclassbrassltd.co.uk/

He's behind eclipse and has done some nice restore work for TH members, a hunt round the forum will dig out some happy US based customers as well, so I think he is competative dispite the bad exchange rate.

Mark
TimBrown
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey!

Thanks for all the feedback, but it turns out the restoration is off. Zig called me and said his view is that the horn should be left as is; in other words, it's far enough gone. Pitting on the first valve casing, thin spots on the bell at contact points, etc. He estimated $500 to do the work. He said "You've got a good player; the pistons are great, compression is great, the joints are all solid and it plays great but it's just not worth putting alot of money in...play it and enjoy it". Their rates are $50/hr.

Now, if only I could do my own repair work!

So, the horn is on its way back. I"m going to leave it as-is, play it and save up for it's successor....maybe another Burbank, an old Besson Meha or a Kanstul CHI1001.

Thanks again for all the input.

Tim

...and a little Quaker State 10w30.

[ This Message was edited by: TimBrown on 2004-04-14 20:50 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: