• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

My date with a Conn Vintage 1

View previous topic :: View next topic  
camel lips
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the opportunity to spend a hour with 3 professional grade horns today.

The Conn Vintage 1 sp with the 46 lead pipe.A Getzen 3050s and a Xeno 8335 (S).

All three of these horns I believe have very similar construction as far as bell size and lead pipe are concerned so I wasn't really expecting one to stand out above the rest.

Boy was I ever wrong.The Conn Vintage one Played extremely sweet.

I tested all 3 of these horns out by the only way I know how and thats to play them.

I sat down with them and gave them sufficient time to warm up before I turned on a tuner.

The Conn Vintage 1 I played centered on just about every note going up and down the scale .I have never seen a horn play so centered.The needle on the Korg tuner stayed rock solid only dipping down into the red on certain notes,generally the ones with the third valve combination.Once I get use to that horn I could easily compensate for that buy pulling the slide out.

I tested both of the slides that came with them and to tell you the truth I liked the squared off one better.That is exactly opposite of what I would have thought going in.I have been wanting a horn that played more open but the squared off tuning slide just seemed to produce a better overall tone.

Ok now for the bad news.I wasn't impressed at all the way the slides fit on this horn.One seemed just a hair bit loose while the other one was a wee bit tight.Also the horn didn't have that Solid look and feel to it like the Getzen did.I suspect that the Conn over time might not hold up as well.The main slide was even starting to peel just a bit from being inserted into the horn as many times as it apparently had been.

The valves were fantastic and almost were as good as the Getzen valves were.You could defiantly tell that the throw was a bit shorter and I suspect that in tight passages were the notes start running together this horn is really going to shine.

This horn is probably by far the most versatile horn of the bunch and best playing.It did seem to wimp out a little bit in the high range but perhaps a 34 lead pipe might compensate for that some.

I plan on giving this horn another shake.There are several pro players here in town that do a lot of recording and they are all choosing the Conn Vintage one.Those guys make their meal ticket with a horn and that says something right there.
oneeyedhobbit
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to team V1. They sound fantastic, don't they:)? I do agree that their fit and finish isn't always up to Yamaha's standards, but I've only seen minor cosmetic details, I wouldn't go so far as to say they aren't built to last.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
EBjazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice review, Camel Lips. Great handle too.
I'm a Conn-Selmer endorsing artist, although I'm not sure that means anything.
I don't think the 34 leadpipe will help you. The 50 leadpipe may not either. The 46 leadpipe that is standard is the best
and works most consistantly with the horn. I've had custom orders with all the configurations except the sterling bells, and I always come back to my basic stock horn with the gold brass bell. I think I have a prototype because there is no number on the leadpipe. It is a 46.
I've been questioning the trumpet for some time now, but have now realized that I am not up to par.
By the way the Conn Vintage 1 Flugel is the greatest instrument I've ever owned. Love this horn!!

Eb
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Trptbenge
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Camel Lips and Eric - thank you for the information.

A couple friends and I heard MF a couple of weeks ago and Carl Fischer (who is an unbelievably good player) plays the Conn Vintage1 trumpet and the flugelhorn. His sound was so good on the flugelhorn we decided to try the flugelhorn. We called around to every Conn dealer in Atlanta and several close cities - including as far away as Montgomery AL, and could not find a store with one in stock. Two of us are in the market for a flugelhorn. My friend Mark is in Houston on business this week and called ahead and found a store with several V1 flugels in stock. So, he will try them there. I have heard so many good things about the flugelhorns and would definitely like to play one.

Mike
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know of a mint satin-silver finish V1 flugel for $1200. I'll put you in contact with the seller if anyone's interested, either send me a PM or email at dctep@swbell.net When I tried this horn, the tuning pipe looked as if it'd never been pulled out. Anyway, it's like new.

As for the trumpet leadpipes, I've found that a lot of people prefer the #34. Bert Truax, a Conn-artist, plays that setup, for one.

Dave
_Daff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey EBjazz,

I would appreciate your opinion as 'artist rep'.

I recently bought the rose brass lacquer #46 config on a whim without ever having touched one. The horn is a delight, but having picked the wrong config for my airstream, I will be selling it and purchasing a different configuration and don't want to screw up this time.

As I mentioned in an earlier thread, I believe the 'D' slide is the correct match for the horn, inherent in it's design and that the rounded slide option, while offering a more open blow, diminishes the handling character of the horn, maybe like putting the wrong size tires on a car. (By the way, refering to camel lips comments, the fit and finish on mine is very nice.)

Before sharing your opinion, let me preface by saying that I prefer a more freeblowing horn. Over the last couple years, I had both the ML .460 and LB .468 Doc Eternas, both freeblowers, and after much ado, opted for the LB.468, a 'keeper'. Having said that, i suspect that a 'tweener' .464 would be ideal. (Too bad that when Getzen later made those, it was coincidental to the decline in the quality of that model in the late seventies.) Regarding airstream, as a comebacker two or three years ago, I compared several Bach ML's along with the vintage Eternas, for blow only, realizing that they are different animals, and the Bachs felt too resistant, like they were pushing back at me. They were tiring me. I prefer to get the air through the horn at a pace roughly equivalent to the time I need air to actually sustain life. With the Bach, and much less prevalent with the V1, I still have air left when it's time to need to refresh.

I recently tested the V1 in yellow brass/gold plate #46 reverse pipe and bingo! It seemed to be way more matched to my airstream. Upon subsequently inquiring about the #50 pipe, Dave Kessler suggested to stay at arm's length, that the #50 was not very popular.

First, given the above, will you share your opinion comparing the blow of the #46 reversed and the standard #50 as it may apply to my airstream preference?

Also, I noticed the presence of more high overtones with the #46 reversed brass/gold config than with the rose brass standard #46 and am not sure if it was the configuration or the metals/finish, or my imagination, since I didn't compare them from other than the player's side of the bell.

Thanks,

Jeff
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-04-15 08:46, Daff wrote:
Also, I noticed the presence of more high overtones with the #46 reversed brass/gold config than with the rose brass standard #46 and am not sure if it was the configuration or the metals/finish, or my imagination, since I didn't compare them from other than the player's side of the bell.

Jeff, when you find yourself with no assistant to compare the sound from "out front" try blowing into a room corner from only 3 or 4-feet away, or into a glass window, or, lacking anything else, a metal music stand with nothing on it. You can really hear the difference in overtones. Realize that the high overtones will mitigate somewhat over distance, so if they sound a little edgy, that may night be so bad.

Dave
camel lips
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-04-15 01:45, oneeyedhobbit wrote:
Welcome to team V1. They sound fantastic, don't they:)? I do agree that their fit and finish isn't always up to Yamaha's standards, but I've only seen minor cosmetic details, I wouldn't go so far as to say they aren't built to last.

Perhaps that was an exaggeration but when you compare the Conn to the Getzen or the Yamaha the plating seems to be a bit thinner and the bracings don't look to be as supportive.

Still a great looking horn.All in all the Getzen looked and felt like a real solid built horn.If I can find one that plays good Gtzen is going to sell a horn.
musiclifeline
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Camel Lips,
You may want to try a lacquer V1... I found the silver model to be a bit stuffier in the upper register, but the lacquer (and the rose brass) one opened up reasonably well...
Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Camel Lips:

Have you considered trying a 3051 or a 3052? Perhaps the setup of the 3050 just didn't "work" for you. That is the reason we have three different Custom Series Models with so many options. Some combinations just don't play for some people. By no means am I making an excuse for your disappointment in the 3050, I'm just suggesting an alternative.

Brett Getzen
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Camel, also keep in mind that heavy bracing is not the measure of a great horn. (It might be and it might not be, depending on the objectives of the designer). Bach and Yamaha actually use braces with a very broad, wide, thick flange at the bell and the leadpipe (front and back). OTOH, Selmer Paris uses a much lighter brace with a much smaller, thinner flange. IMHO, the Selmer Paris resonates much better than either a Xeno or Bach 37, but by your measure it might be deemed inferior. It's all about tone and resonance. Each brace has a very significant impact on the playability and tone of a trumpet.

So, if the V1 resonates and connects better with you, it might just be because of those lighter braces (among other things). For me the things to worry about in fit and finish include, valve action, intonation, excess solder, finishing flaws. If a trumpet has no problems in these areas and plays well for you, then it's probably a keeper, or at least a finalist on a possible purchase short-list.

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: