• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

EK Blessing Trumpets

View previous topic :: View next topic  
germerv

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody know about E.K. Blessing, Artist Model Trumpets. Are they any good?
Thanks, germerv
supportlivejazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own three of them and I think they are excellent players with great range. They are very well made and just feel good to me in how they play and how they feel in my hands. They are all large bore horns. The ones I have are a 1939, 1946 and a late 50's version. What vintage is yours?
Trptbenge
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

supportlivejazz, I played a 50's EK Blessing Super Artist about two weeks ago from the 50's and it was about as good as any horn I have played. I understand why Clifford liked the horn. I always wondered what happened to Blessing. I guess they were sold along Martin in 1961 and the rest is, I guess, history. Very unfortunate! I don't know a lot about the models but I understand there was the Artist, The Super Artist and one other professional level model but I don't know what it was. Does anyone know?

Thanks!

Mike
supportlivejazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As near as I can find out, the only difference between the Artist and Super Artist was the engraving, the shape of the valve caps (Super were angled, Artist round) and the Super had a third valve slide threaded stop mechanism. The bores and design should be the same. Correct me if I am wrong, please. My 1939 has a slightly smaller bore than my later models, but they are all well over .460... actually around .468 I think. If I am right about the design being the same on both models, then the Artist becames a real bargain as they can usually be had for $200-300 where as the Supers bring $1000 and more. I do like them and the size of the bore does not seem too much on these horns.

As for an additional pro model, I have not seen one. The Standard is a very solid lower level horn and the ones I have had rival the Olds Ambassador, although the valves may not be as good.

[ This Message was edited by: supportlivejazz on 2004-03-15 22:44 ]
radiobob
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, you guys are going to make the prices go up. I haven't had the pleasure of trying the Artist or Super Artist horns yet, but I stumbled across an E.K. Blessing stencil, circa 1914, that is the highest quality horn I have ever seen. The workmanship is just incredible. It needs a valve job, and the bell has been crunched, but I plan to restore this one. It's a very heavy horn too. It is sad that the quality went to hell later, now most people think of Blessing as an inferior horn I've noticed.

Bob
supportlivejazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got the micrometer out and measured the bore on my 1939 Artist and it is .466. Both the late 40's and late 50's horns are at the shop, but I believe they are .468. The 39 and the 40's horns have the ring for the third valve slide mounted permanantly under the slide ala Besson. The late 50's has an adjustable finger ring. FYI, one of them is going up for sale in time. Having three seems a bit... compulsive, but that is what I am and it is fun.
bulos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a couple of eary 50's Super Artist models come through my hands and while I thought it was a very well made and pretty decent horn, I didn't think it played as well as some Olds and Conn trumpets from the same general period. They seemed a bit heavy and somewhat unresponsive for my tastes at least.
germerv

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supportlivejazz: Sorry it took me so long to answer you, but the serial number on my Blessing Artist model indicates it was made in 1959 or '60.

germerv
tbone_1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a silver Blessing B-135 intermediate, serial number 534XXX... I have no idea when it was made (if anybody knows, I'd really appreciate it if you could tell me), but it seems like a pretty decent trumpet. I certainly wouldn't compare it to a Strad, Xeno, or any other pro-line horn, but it works great for me.

Aaron
mark125
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-03-21 15:51, tbone_1 wrote:
I have a silver Blessing B-135 intermediate, serial number 534XXX... I have no idea when it was made (if anybody knows, I'd really appreciate it if you could tell me), but it seems like a pretty decent trumpet. I certainly wouldn't compare it to a Strad, Xeno, or any other pro-line horn, but it works great for me.

Aaron

Probably around 1987.
I have a blessing artist made around that same time and it plays very well for me.
Mark

[ This Message was edited by: mark125 on 2004-03-21 17:21 ]
Trptbenge
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got a Blessing Artist and I love it. It has a great sound and lets me color and bend the notes easily.
The valve action is shorter and quick. The sound is not quite as good as my Kanstul 1500 but it is still quite good.

Mike
heavyharmonies
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of Blessing Artists, what bore would a ca. 1980 Blessing Artist cornet be?

Thanks,

-Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: