• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Beginner's trumpet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nextbrassguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My niece will be starting trumpet in school next Fall. Her parents know little about trumpets and have asked me for advice. I have never bought a student level horn (my parents bought the old Conn Director on which I learned), and haven't played one in twenty-five years or so.
So what to I tell my brother and sister-in-law about a good first trumpet? I know about Olds Ambassadors if they want something both inexpensive and reliable, and I would probably recommend the Yamaha 2335 series if they prefer a new instrument.
But:
1. What if a used horn is OK, but they don't want an Ambassador? How about a step up Olds? Or an old Yamaha 7xx or 6xx series horn? Anything else?
2. Are there any other new models I should mention?
3. Aside from the East European, Chinese, and Indian horns, is there anything I should urge them to avoid? For example large bores???
Any other thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!
Tom LeCompte
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think those are reasonable recommendations.

To answer your sepcific questions, "what if they don't want an Ambassador?" It seems to me they either will follow your advice or they won't. If they won't follow your advice, it seems kind of pointless to keep amending your advice until you find something they will follow.

The key at this stage is not to make a mistake. A high quality student horn like either one you mentioned would not be a mistake. While there are other horns that would also be adequate, I don't see any reason not to go with the horns you mentioned, particularly since you are comfortable with the horns. Suppose I recommended the "Brassomatic 3000" as the horn for your niece. You don't know me from Adam, so you don't know if my advice is any good. So even if I was right and the Brassomatic were the better horn, I don't think it's worth the risk, particularly since it will be some years before she is limited by either the Ambassador or the Yamaha. There's no significant upside to another horn, particularly since you've covered the price range on the bottom with an Ambassador.

Cheers,

Tom
mark125
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it would depend on how much money they want to spend. If they are set on a new horn and you like the yamaha then all you can do is tell them that you recommend the yamaha. I would tell them to check the prices at wwbw.com or giardinelli.com before going to the local music stores to price the horns.
I know that renting is not the most economical way to go in the long run, but if they buy a new horn and your niece decides to not play a trumpet or she wants to change instruments after a few months they will be out quite a bit of money with the new horn. I like your idea of the used olds trumpet. They can promise to buy a new horn if she decides to play in high school.
I bought my daughter a good used silver blessing artist for 150.00 that plays good and has lasted through 8th grade so far. She marched with the high school band in 8th grade and will be marching again this fall. I promised her a new horn if she keeps on playing and gets her letter jacket after her sophomore year. She may be ready to take care of a new horn by then.

Mark

[ This Message was edited by: mark125 on 2004-04-18 12:29 ]
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many options open to you - but I would venture to suggest that may of these options are not worth looking into.
I am very pleased to see that you have already discounted the cheap Indian/Chinese things that pretend to be trumpets on Ebay. I have had a few students turn up with these things - makes the first few lessons very difficult, even more so when you have to tell their parents that they have already out grown their instrument, after only a few weeks!
When I am recommending a starter trumpet I tend to use the philosophy that if you are buying new, you can't go far wrong with Yamaha - get the best one you can afford (usually either a 2335 or a 4335, depending where you go for prices and how much your budget is).
The Jupiter student trumpets are very popular over here, but I am not as impressed with these as with the Yamaha, they are fine for starting out, but I have found that the Yamaha instruments will last further into your playing life.
mheffernen5
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say a King trumpet 600 because those are great for beginners. E-Bay has great used ones too.
nextbrassguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any thoughts on the old pro-level Yamahas you often find relatively cheap on eBay? I haven't played any of these, so I don't know much about their quality, but in many cases, the final price looks like a real bargain.
fuzzyjon79
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe you are referring to the 6000 series Yamahas (6335, 6345). They are incredible horns and you can usually find them for around 500-600 on Ebay. If you have the money, you probably can't beat that deal as far as a professional horn goes.
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play professionally, I use a Yamaha 6335HS - it works for me!

If you can find one of these for a decent price - go for it!

Yamaha Bb 6335HS (Najoom leadpipe)
Yamaha Rotary Bb
F Besson C (Najoom leadpipe)
Yamaha Eb 6610S
Scherzer G
F Besson Piccolo
Yamaha Maestro Bb Cornet
Eclipse Copper Flugel
Getzen 4-Valve Flugel
nashbop63

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been surprised at the playability of the 2 or 3 Conn "Severinsen 1000B" horns I've played. I guess they're thought of as intermediate level, but the ones I've played have been easy to play, with decent slotting and pitch for an inexpensive horn. They seem to be available on ebay anywhere from $90.00 to $175.00, including case. Not sure of the bore size, but they do play easy, and I think there were two bell sizes : a 5" one and a 4 3/4/" or so. Good luck with you search.
george tidwell
camel lips
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

George is that you?

Wow ,first I find Dave here and now George.

George,you might remember me.I was a snot nose little kid at the time and you arranged a version of "feels so good" for me for the Hillwood high school band.You even gave me some private lessons and you refused to accept money for them.I still have that Getzen Flugal horn you helped me locate at Millers instrument.Your the greatest.

I have always been thankful for your help back in those days.You always went out of your way to help me .I still see Dennis Solee from time to time and still have a record album you and he did together back about 1980 but alas I have no record player to play them on.

Dave tells me that members of the old Nashville Jazz machine are still around town playing at BB kings on Monday nights.Are you still doing live gigs or just studio work?

Great to see you on this board.How is Shawn doing?Sorry I haven't kept up .Email me some time and maybe we can do dinner and drinks.Its my treat.I would love to catch up with whats going on here locally.

Ed Mason

edwardamason@comcast.net
nashbop63

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed - hello, great to hear from you. I will email you rather than get off the topic here, but, yes, the big band led by Jim Williamson ( Nashville Jazz Orch.) plays every other Monday night at B.B. Kings club on 2nd ave. Starts at 7 pm. The trumpets are some 5 person combination of Jim, me, Steve Patrick, Vinnie Ciecelski, Mike Casteel and Steve Herman.
Trombones include Barry Green, Roy Agee, Chris Mc Donald and Chris Dunn, among others, with Denis, Doug Moffet, Don Aliquo, Cole Burgess, Jim Hoke, Matt Davich among the saxes. A variety of rhythm players, depending on who has a session or not, include Chester Thompson and Bob Mater on drums and Derek Jones and Jim Ferguson on Bass. When she's in town from her New York life, Annie Sellick sings.
Come on down- in fact anyone who's around Nashville, drop by.
I'll move to email for other catch-up stuff- good to know you're doing well.
george t.
camel lips
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the thread hijack guys.

Continue on.

I have played a bunch of horns recently.

Two intermediate trumpets that I have tried that I would recommend would be the Getzen 700 or the Kanstul 610.The King 601 is a small distant 3rd.

Good luck.

[ This Message was edited by: camel lips on 2004-04-20 19:19 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: