• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

shopping for horns in atlanta

View previous topic :: View next topic  
junkyt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey all,

i'm going to be playing a gig in atlanta next week, and was wondering if there are any good brass stores i should visit.

also, if you have any recommendations on where to catch some good music (jazz, particularly), that'd be great too. i arrive monday afternoon and leave thursday morning.

thanks!
jason

http://www.JasonParkerMusic.com

[ This Message was edited by: junkyt on 2004-04-20 11:41 ]
mark125
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to swing by Ken Stanton Music. Their large store is located in Marietta on Cobb Parkway (Highway 41) within a few hundred feet north of "The Big Chicken". I don't know how many horns they may have in stock, but their prices are in line with wwbw.com and giardinelli.com. You have to pay 5 percent sales tax, but you can try out the horns. They have some pro tec, gator, and bach cases in stock. They have the bach strad 180-37S for 1500. That is about like everyone else.
Marietta is just a few miles north of Atlanta. Most anyone you ask can tell you where the big chicken is located.
Ken Stanton Music is located in a shopping center across the street and just north of the big chicken.
In case you have never seen the big chicken, it is an old kentucky fried chicken sign that is very tall with a moving beak on it. You can't miss it.

Mark
histrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to try out some horns you will not find at the music store get hold of lee Adams and let him show you the Callet line of horns as well as some custom mouthpieces he has developed. He is also a Schilke dealer. Find out more at his web site.. http://www.trumpetchops.com
improver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just bought a new yamaha from carere music in atlanta and had it a week and they wouldnt take it back
WxJeff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With appropriate apologies to Forte Ken Stanton's new store is kind of... commercial (I know, what do you expect?) For a more eclectic collection and a cool place to just hang out, try Mr. Baran's DeKalb Musician's Supply. Take the MARTA east line to the Decatur station, then one block north of Ponce de Leon on Clairemont.

So where are you playing and when, and it is a public event?

[ This Message was edited by: WxJeff on 2004-04-20 20:09 ]
junkyt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm playing a corporate event with a soul band i play in, called Soul Provider. we are playing for about 6000 people at turner field, opening for the little river band! our first big out of town gig. needless to say, we're all very excited.

thanks for all the suggestions. any good trumpet players playing gigs while i'm there?

http://www.JasonParkerMusic.com

[ This Message was edited by: junkyt on 2004-04-20 20:36 ]
Trptbenge
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken Stanton is going to be Bach and Yamaha. Ditto with Carere but nice people. Carere never carries used horns and Ken Stanton does occasionally. Lee Adams is a good choice though, I know he runs a couple different businesses and he has been swamped but email him. I saw him yesterday. Call Rich Ita's Brass Instrument repair shop he has some used horns for sale right now (770) 420-8700. Mr. Baran at Dekalb Musicians supply has some new and used horns around.

Unfortunately, Atlanta does not have a great selection of horns. I wish we had a super store like Dillons or WWBW. But then I would never go home. Enjoy!

Mike
drdoct
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always check out Rich Ita's workshop, he sure had a lot of horns at the ATF, it's somewhere in Marietta which is a couple hours away in normal Atlanta traffic(about 10 miles or so). I second the Lee Adams visit too, not only does he sell the horns, but he's an excellent player that probably could take one of those Chinese horns up to a triple C. Other than that, this town sucks music store wise.
oldblow
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might pay you indeed to check on WxJeff's mention of Dekalb Musicians Supply. While I haven't been there in decades, Emile Baron could blow the lacquer off a trumpet back in his day. If he is still alive and there, ask if he has anything interestin stuck back.
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

As you probably know, I now represent Flip Oakes and I live in Georgia! I'll be briefly in the Atlanta area during your visit next week, passing through.

If you are considering a horn the caliber of the Flip Oakes "Wild Thing" line I'll try to set up my schedule so I could meet you. I've got a killer week but would be glad to try to fit it in for you.

I could bring any of the following you are interested in trying:

Bb, C, Fluglehorn, Short Model Cornet.

If interested, let me know via private e-mail or PM!

Actually, Atlanta may be quite the place for both friendly trumpeters AND "cutting edge" horns!

1. My friend Lee Adams, owner of Callet Trumpets, resides in the Atlanta suburb of Lawrenceville . . .

2. Nationally-known vintage instrument restorer/technician/trumpeter Rich Ita . . . owner/maker of the famous Pilczuk leadpipes has his business in the suburb of Marietta and sells restored top-quality vintage cornets and trumpets.

3. I represent the Wild Thing trumpets and I live in central Georgia.

4. Georgia has hosted quite a few Northern Brass trumpet fests (more than all other states combined) where folks travel for great distances to see the superhorns of Lawler, Callet, Eclipse and Flip Oakes all in the same room . . . along with getting to meet and talk with Bruce Lee (of Northern Brass--rep. for Lawler, Callet and Eclipse plus the GR and NB mouthpieces), plus "Mr. Triple C" Lee Adams and myself.

I think you'll love the Southern hospitality!

Like most cities, the bread and butter lines are bravely supported by several music stores in Atlanta although, like most places, their numbers are thinning due to mail order competition. Many years ago I was in that business . . . and it's a very tough one. Local music stores are forced to make their living on giving lessons, plus the selling and renting student horns . . . and their inventories reflect this . . . for this is the only part that generates profits to pay the bills and keep the doors open.

Still, you should be able to find a smattering of the different name brands in the stores . . . although it is always good to call first before renting a cab and encountering some of that frustrating Atlanta traffic!

Good luck on your gig and good luck also on your horn quest!

If you do nothing else, call Rich Ita (he has an 800 number on his BrassInstrumentWorkshop website) and get directions to his place in Marietta. It's a really cool blast from the past . . . all the great instruments of old in different stages of restoration! Lots of the vintage instruments are for sale, as well as some new horns and newer trade in premium horns.

Rich's place is also a hangout for the trumpeters in Atlanta as well as others who've come to Atlanta to go to Rich's place. No telling who you might meet when you go in there and all love to talk to the Yankee transplant Rich . . . he's a very nice and knowledgeable trumpeter . . . plus so expert in horn work that Roy Lawler trusted him to finish some Lawler Herald Trumpets for the Ft. McPherson Army Band when Roy was swamped one time! Needless to say, Rich is so swamped in premium work (restoration and pro horn work and modifications) that he's not even taking in any new work right now!

When members of the "Cornet Conspiracy" group (from all over) had their annual get together in '92, Atlanta was the site that year and Rich was the great host! What a week . . . watching Rich explain and restore horns, hearing southerner Cliff Blackburn (TN) put on an incredible clinic on trumpet design, another session with the curator of a museum of vintage horns (plus a tour late that week of the museum in the Carolinas), jam sessions at the union hall AND again at a restaurant with a hot jazz trio to back us all up . . . and attending a rehearsal of the Georgia Brass Band. Members of the "Conspiracy" in attendance also included Roy Hempley, noted NY Bach researcher/scholar: Dr. Rick Swartz, author of "The Cornet Conspiracy;" Atlantan Alan Rouse (of the "Olds Central" website), Nick DeCarlis (of the Vintagecornets" website) and several others.

Atlanta . . . it seems to be a magnet for those who truly love to play, collect, research and restore brass instruments on a serious level!

Atlanta . . . a trumpeter's paradise for shew-ah, y'all!

Sincerely,

Tom Turner

PS: Rich Ita is CLOSED on Mondays.

[ This Message was edited by: tom turner on 2004-04-21 21:57 ]
Trptbenge
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldblow, Emile Baran is still alive and is doing well. He is definitely been around for a long time. I have been in there and he has pulled out old horns to show me. He always has an old Benge sitting around.

Rich, has some interesting old horns. He has a couple of old Conns, two LA Benges, Old Selmer Paris and a surprisingly wonderful horn called a Holton Stratodyne from the 50's that most people have never heard about. It has a rose brass finish with art deco designs on the bell and valves that are smooth as glass. It has a wonderful sound. He has some other horns as well. He did have a Calicchio 1S2 but I don't know if he still has it.

Enjoy your time and the Southern Hospitality!

Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: