• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

ENDURANCE!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pristineb

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have great range and tone but I seem to die not long after playing for an hour (less if I'm really going at it) ... this is during my practice though, when I have no playing breaks. When playing whith a group it is better.

Questions...
How long should I be able to play? (in the professional world context)
What can I do to build my endurance?
Anyway, I feel like I should have more endurance than I have... what can I do

Thanks!

Keith
fuzzyjon79
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the Caruso forum. That should help you out.
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you're practicing, rest as long as you play. This doesn't mean play for an hour and rest for an hour. It means play for a couple of minutes and rest for a couple. Give your chops frequent opportunities to recharge.

You won't be able to do it quite that systematically in playing situations, of course, so you'll have to take advantage of rests, quiet passages, and set breaks to accomplish the same thing.

Also, if you warm up slow and easy, stay as relaxed as you can, flow plenty of air through the horn, keep your chest high, err on the side of playing softly, and push your chops toward the horn to keep meat between your teeth and your mouthpiece you'll last a lot longer.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
pushyred
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long Tones/flexibilties for 10 minutes. rest 2.
Then: pratice for 20-25 minutes and then resting for 5-10. Repeat. repeat. repeat.....

I've found that it takes more disipline to stop than it does to keep pounding away. Get a kitchen timer and make yourself take the break. The results will amaze you.
bugleboi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx pushy red, I think I will try that. In the beginning I soo worried about range. But in actuality, Im in the music buisness, not the trumpet buisness, I will try out your method, and give you my reaction.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
pedaltonekid
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely agree with the practice as much as you rest theory. Also I like to break up my practice sessions into 20 minute groups, and if I have a grueling schedule coming up I will spend one of the 20 minute sessions working specifically on endurance. Dave Hickman has a great endurance routine. Also playing hymns with many verses is a good endurance exercise.

You may find it helpful to change the dynamic level. some contend, and it works for me, that you will use different muscles for playing softly vs. playing loudly and thus you can "rest while you are playing" by going back and forth. This won't give you unlimited endurance, but will help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: