• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Opinions Wanted before buying a trumpet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AgUy4JC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently posted a topic of "One good student Trumpet wanted. DFW, Texas area" and want to thank everyone for all the help.

Now I have to decide which one to buy. HELP!!!

I have these options:

King 601 great condition, lacquer has some streaking, but no dents - $160-$165

Reynolds Medalist no condition report, but the owner is near by and will let me see the horn before buy - no price offered as of yet. (what would be the price ranges for this brand of horn?)

(2) Conn 22b no condition report, but the owner is near by and will let me see the horn before buy - $130

If anyone has an opinion and is willing to share please do, I need all the help I can get.

I do not set aside the grace of God; for if righteousness comes through the law, then Christ died in vain."

Galatians 2:21

Andrew

[ This Message was edited by: aguy4jc on 2004-04-30 12:44 ]
bgwbold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since they are all about the same price, I would give them all a shot before pulling the trigger. The only one of them I have played is a Conn 22B. I remember that I liked it and understand that the 22B was a real popular model for Conn in its day. I think it is a medium bore horn, so you might find it to be a little tight compared to the others.

Mike
AgUy4JC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am an ex-tuba player, so the guy with the (2) Conn said the bigger bore might be better for me.

Andrew
Scootsky
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 22B is a light weight, bright, fun blowing horn at a good price. You did not mention how old it is. I don’t think you’ll get a 50’s 22B for $130.Later on you could always use it as your beater horn. If you walk into a music store and ask for a used horn you’ll get an education on ‘list’ price used horns. That 22B would be ‘bout $550+. Buy one of the above horns and get your lip to working. In a few months you’ll know where you want to go. A $200 start-up for this new hobby is a drop in the bucket bread wise. I would suggest a 3C mouthpiece to start. If you haven’t already done so I would recommend that you read the whole ‘Comeback Player’ section. Just have fun.

-Gary Scott

[ This Message was edited by: Scootsky on 2004-04-30 12:51 ]
musiclifeline
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) try before you buy
2) old Conns have a really great sound
3) check out an Olds Ambassador -- they tend to be more reliable and will last longer.
_gmdean
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the horns are close I'd suggest you take you MP and try them out, preferably with your teacher or someone who know your sound. Out of politness let the sellers know you want to take a "test drive" if they aren't happy with that they probably aren't someone to do business with anyway. If you hunt through the forum for similar questions you will see that people always advise that you should try the horns first, unless you are an ebay adict and are prepared to take a risk. It doesn't matter what level of horn you are buying or what your level of skill is the importent thing is to find the right horn for you. When you try them out bare in mind the questions:

does this horn help me sound like my sound?
does it feel right in my hands and on my chops?
does it blow right for me?

Having someone with you will help with how it sounds "out front". Play something you are familier with and have under your belt, try out something you have been working on and still stretches you. The first will give you an idea of how good you sound on the horn, the second is likely to bring out all your bad habits so does the horn help of amplify them?

It's more important how the horn sounds than looks, dings can be knocked out etc but ask yourself has it been cared for as well. Check valves, slides and compression.

For info: The Reynolds will be related to the OLDs line I think you ask questions at olds central about these as well.

http://rouses.net/trumpet/olds.htm

I think that model is pretty much the same as an ambassador which as we all know was a great student (and pros still use them) horn.

Search of recent ebay shows two that went for about $75

Hope that helps
Mark
AgUy4JC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your input, it helps a lot.

Since I have never picked up a trumpet (only tuba thus far) I don't know what my sound is. I do trust the two people I am going to poetically buy from, it's just a matter of which I think will be best for a beginner. I don't want a horn that's hard for a pro to play and I want one that has a great rep for being a good student horn, plus I want one that looks well taken care of.

The (2) Conn 22b are close by and I trust the guy selling them. The King is a few states away and the guy will take the horn back if I am not happy with it minus the shipping charges. I also trust this guy.

So its just a matter of which everyone thinks is the best horn. (and I will do what my instructor and gmdean has suggested before making a purchase)

I do not set aside the grace of God; for if righteousness comes through the law, then Christ died in vain."

Andrew

[ This Message was edited by: AgUy4JC on 2004-04-30 13:05 ]
mad-dog
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the 22b - if they have a fixed third slide ring, they're old enough to be good horns. The 22b was made from the 1920's to at least the late 50's - I have owned several of various vintages and (in good condition) are versatile horns, and great players despite their small bore. I've never paid more than $130 for one, but you probably won't find one at retail for that low a price. The modern 22b, with the adjustable third slide ring, is a student horn, and IMHO not a very good one - certainly no comparison with a "real" 22b. You'd do better with an Olds Ambassador.

The Medalist was at one time very similar to the Ambassador - both were designed by the same guy, Foster Reynolds - but they changed a lot over the years, and not for the better. If the one you're looking at is pre- early '60s and in good shape, it's probably a pretty good instrument.

To date instruments by serial number, go to http://www.musictrader.com/serialnos.html

Good luck, and welcome to the trumpet ranks!

Dave (30 year trumpet player - took up euphonium two years ago so I could play Tubachristmas)
AgUy4JC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the guy says the (2) Conn horns were made between the 20's and 50's.

the Medalist is from the same guy and he didn't give the serical numbers yet. (he's kinda hard to get a hold of) Thanks for the link, I'll date the horns when I have that info.

I can't find anyone selling an Olds Ambass. (I am not willing to buy one off e-bay)

Andrew
Tootsall
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he's "hard to get ahold of" now, what will he be like if you decide you want to return the horn 'for cause' or need info on shipping because your money went out but the horn hasn't come back?

Be careful is all I'm saying.
musiclifeline
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two places that I'd recommend trying a horn out (both have return policies) are Dillon Music (www.dillonmusic.com) and Anaheim Band Instruments (www.abimusic.com).

Dillon's gets first choice of course... you can order online, see pictures, ask questions, and you get 7 days to try it out or send it back, no questions asked.
AgUy4JC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the one that's hard to get a hold of is local, the one that's easy to get a hold of it outta state. But you make a good point.

Andrew

[ This Message was edited by: AgUy4JC on 2004-04-30 14:02 ]
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you meet WA, you'll run into him all over DFW. He's bought and sold many horns with many participants on this forum. A class-A trumpet-dweeb. No offense meant. (I'm sure he's out in his car working at his profession and not able to check email during the day).

Dave
AgUy4JC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess if you talk to him before I do, will you get his contact info, so I can call him? Thanks

Andrew
bgwbold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are talking about a low price horn, shipping, if you have to pay it, is a bigger percentage of the price. I was assuming you could drive around FW and try these out.

Mike
AgUy4JC

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the guy a few states away said he would only charge $20 shipping no matter what the actual charge was going to be. And the other guy with the (2) Conn and the Reynolds is hard to get a hold of.

So I'm left with wait however long until Mr. Hard to get a hold of puts his life on hold to check his e-mail, or paying shipping charges for someone I can get a hold of very easly.

Andrew
mheffernen5
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

King 600 lines are nice trumpets but so are Olds Ambassadors. Those are starting trumpets. If cosmetics bothers you go for the King, but if it doesn't go for the Olds.
camel lips
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dillions also has some nice student trumpets for sale.

You might ck here.

http://www.dillonmusic.com/used_instruments/usedinstruments.asp?instrument=Used%20Student%20Horns

The olds ambassador is no ebay bargin at $225 but is still a fair price.

The conn 20b stands out in my mind as a fair price.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

BTW here is the King ad for the 601

http://www.unitedmusical.com/catalog/detail.asp?Item_Number=601

[ This Message was edited by: camel lips on 2004-05-01 11:40 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: