• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Review - Getzen Custom 3051

View previous topic :: View next topic  
donovan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just received a Getzen Custom 3051 for a customer, and figured I would give it a quick work out. The 3051 is Getzen's version of the Bach Stradivarius 180-72.

The fit and finish of the horn is excellent. All valves and slides operated very smoothly (of course the valves were excellent, what else would you expect from Getzen). Lacquer job was perfectly done, no over spray or bleeding.

The most important part is how it plays. I was _very_ pleased with the tone of this instrument. This instrument has a rose brass bell in a lacquer finish, and the sound was very warm and deep. It was a sound that made me want to keep playing it. Intonation was very good as well. Upper register was in-tune with the middle register, and no unusually sharp or flat notes.

I would highly recommend this horn. From what I've seen, the 3051 is going to become one of my new favorites.
Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just one minor correction. The 3051 has a gold brass bell not rose brass. Granted, it is only a small difference in the metal, but I just wanted to put it out there.

Glad you liked it. How many more can I put you down for?

Brett
Tootsall
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brett, a quick question for you... what IS the metallurgical difference between "rose brass" and "gold brass"? I'm interested since there have been discussions ad nauseum over the last few years about the makeup of the various brasses: I know that there is NO listing for "gold brass" in my Mechanical Engineering handbooks so I'm curious as to whether it's a higher or lower percentage of copper (vs. Zinc)?
gruvertpt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the best of my knowledge, trumpet bells that are made from brass usually are in three different catagories:
1. Yellow Brass--some copper
2. Gold Brass--higher ratio of copper in brass alloy
3. Rose Brass--highest ratio of copper in brass alloy

Hope this helps you out!
Bach 181s37--Cornet
Bach C180S239R--C
Yamaha 9610--D/Eb
Yamaha 9830 Custom--Piccolo
Blackburn leadpipes
Conn Wonder Cornet (c. 1902)
Conn 22B Trumpet "Symphonic" (c. 1927)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
gustav
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donovan I am looking foward to playing it myself. I am glad it came up to expectations. Knowing in the back of my mind that it would be a player. Thanks a lot.
Lawler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yellow brass 60% copper/40%Zinc
Gold brass 75%copper/25%Zinc
Red(rose)brass 90%copper/10%Zinc

This may vary from maker to maker.
R.Lawler

[ This Message was edited by: Lawler on 2004-04-24 06:51 ]
Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lawler has that right. There are minor differences from each mill to another, but the standard is as he said.

Brett
gustav
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received the Getzen 3051 today. Donovan you were right in ever respect. After owning Bach's for years I really think this is one great trumpet for me. I played Schilke B1,B5,B6 and S32 and this horn is easier to work with than any. I've gone through some 60 horns since November 2001 and this is the best of the bunch. Great intonation,dark with a smokey sound similar to a 1949 Martin committe i played.
Thank you Getzen and of course Donovan Bankhead.
Tootsall
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for that info, gentlemen. I reckon it's possible to "slice and dice" about as fine as you want to "guarantee" the percentage of the various elements, isn't it? Some days I wish they'd adopt a simple "formula" such as is used for fertilizer.... 60/40 or 75/25 or whatever.
Trptbenge
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gustav & Donovan thank you for your review of the 3051. I would like to have the opportunity to try some of the new Getzens. I think they have gotten their act together. Their horns have always had great valves. Their quality was pretty good during the first Severinsen Models time period. Then, it seems that they went through a period where their quality (especially the details) really suffered. In the past few years I have only heard positive things about their quality.

Gustav, you are in the honeymoon period right now. Give us another review after you have played that horn for a month or so.

Cheers!

Mike

[ This Message was edited by: Trptbenge on 2004-05-01 21:57 ]
supportlivejazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess I want to know how much I can expect to pay for a 3051?
Seinman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$1295 from Washington Music.
Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for all the positive comments about the 3051. In my opinion it is one of the best trumpet available. Of course, you would expect me to say that wouldn't you?

The comments about our quality over the ages is exactly right. As many of you know, the company had a batch of dark years when things looked pretty bleak. That's why the family was able to buy it back and we haven't looked back since. We have worked very hard to overcome that negative image and we are still battling it today. As far as the family is concerned, we will not rest until our trumpets (and everything else we make for that matter) is viewed by all as the top instrument to buy. Are we there yet? Maybe not, but believe me we are trying.

To all of you that are wondering all I can say is try one for yourself. If it works for you and you like it, please tell every other trumpeter you know. Word of mouth is the most valuable tool we have. Hey, it's the least I can ask right?

Thanks again. You have no idea how much threads like this mean to all of us here.

Brett
BruceB

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well there are two other horns that are a tad bit better. The 3001 and the 3003 Genesis1. Actually I played the 3051 side by side with a 3001 and thought the tone and response on the 3001 was better. It has a crispness that one has to experience to appreciate. It's gold plated too which I thought would darken the sound but it doesn't seem to at all. It's not heavy like most gold plated horns either.
Monette BL3 anf MF2 mouthpieces
donovan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't say the 3001 is better than the 3051, they are two totally different instruments designed to two different players. I'm very impressed with t he 3051 I've played. I just received a 3850 custom cornet that I'm going to workout tonight. I'll let everyone know my thoughts on this little gem as well. My first impressions are very favorable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: