• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Getzen Genesis

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpetertom
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone had any experience with these? I have auditioned one and was quite impressed.
camel lips
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent about a hour with one.

I was most impressed with the fit and the finish of the horn.

Other than that nothing really noteworthy to say.I am looking at trying another specimen.
BruceB

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one last summer and love it. I've never played a horn that's as versitle as this one is. Almost immediately I swapped out the leadpipes though. The "O" one plays much better I thought. Having played on Monette's before down in Portland I can honestly say these are every bit as nice to play but with the added benefit of those valves which are incredible.
Monette BL3 anf MF2 mouthpieces
trumpetertom
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bruce,

I'm glad you responded. I tried to email you the other day, but I don't think it went through. I had seen on another post that you had both the 3001 & 3003 and wanted your opinion as to the differences. Have you played the Conn V1? If so, how did it compare to the Getzens.
musicalmason
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm confused, I thought monettes had getzen valves. am I wrong?
Martin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you´re right.
But for some reason unknown to me, Monette wants Getzen to make monel valves for him instead of their trademark nickelplated pistons...

Martin
BruceB

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpetertom
Yes i do have both and love them. Although I seem to find myself using the 3001 more than the Genesis. This is the first horn I've ever had that I truly love playing. The sound and response is incredible not to mention it's one beautiful horn. I did play the Conn V1 and found it to have a darker sound. More of a jazz type sound. I tried to get it to sound bright and for me it just wouldn't do it. I wanted at least that versitility and since it didn't have it I looked elsewhere.
Monette's do use Getzen valves, and I've played on them, but they just aren't the same. Monel discolors for one thing and I don't care for the look of that. They also don't seem as fast. Might be all mental but that's my observation. The 3001 also for a gold plated horn is very bright sounding. Gotta like that.
trumpetertom
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce,

How do the 3003 & 3001 differ? I did notice the added weight of the 3003, but it didn't bother me too much. I was hoping to do some A/B comparisons between several different makes of trumpets, including the Getzens, but no one seems to stock any Getzen customs in the Chicagoland market.

Tom
BruceB

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,
The 3001 has a brighter sound than the 3003. The 3003 sound actually seems to start out away from the bell. I know that's hard to explain but it seems to be further away from the horn. Makes it a little harder to adjust and hear what's happening. On the flip side it's also a very large sound that can fill a room quite easily. The 3001 has real crisp bright sound that for me is perfect for lead work. I find the upper register opens up very nice also. The 3003 has a good upper register too but isn't as bright sounding. I don't use it for lead work because of that. Well and I didn't buy it for that use anyway. At the time I had a Wild Thing that I used for lead. I wanted the 3003 for solo and character work. Once I played the 3001 side by side with the WT it was a no brainer. The 3001 blew it away soundwise and playing. The softs were sweet and full and didn't diffuse like the WT tended to. I like having the pair because the valves are identical and playability is the same. I don't have to adjust from horn to horn like I was having to between the WT and the 3003.
FWIW I tried a lot of horns over the years before I came upon these two and for the first time since I started playing in 1966 I'm truly content with just these two horns. I feel that they accomplish every niche that I needed filled. (well other than flugel which is another story).
I did try a Getzen custom series and while they are nice horns for me they just weren't the same as the 3001 and 3003. The tone and sound just wasn't as presice. Could be just me though. I have always liked an open sounding horn that responds instantly. For me these two fit the bill.
trumpetertom
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce,
Thanks for all of the details, I greatly appreciate it.
Capt. Z
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you say, that the 3003 is better for classical orchestral work?
BruceB

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No not really. It would work okay for that but it doesn't blend the best with the classic Bach sound. it's a bigger fuller sound. It's ideal for soloing I think and it has worked okay on some section work as well. I had the chance to play on a Monette ANJA and this horn plays and sounds a lot like that except the tone is much crisper. There's more of an edge to the sound than the Monette had. If you had a whole section of these it would be an awesome big full sound though.
Capt. Z
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a Getzen that can produce that Bach sound?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: