• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What is standard instrumentation for brass ensemble?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adamcz
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a standard instrumentation for brass ensembles? I can any instrumentation performed while I'm in school, but I might as well write stuff that could be performed elsewhere as well. I assume it's something like 3 trumpets, 3 trombones, tuba, 4 horns, 2-3 percussion? Thanks for any insight, -Adam
adamcz
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, what are some great recordings of Brass Ensemble music I could check out? I have that one of Gabrieli which I love, but I want to hear some newer stuff.
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple answer - probably yes
Complex answer - No!

The Brass Quintet is fairly set in stone - 2 trumpets, horn, trombone and tuba.
There is a standard 10-piece line-up (as popularised by the Philip Jones Brass Ensemble) of 4 trumpets, horn, 3 trombones, bass trombone and tuba.
Larger than that is where problems tend to arise.
The larger ensembles can be like the 10-piece line-up but with 4 horns, not just the one.
You can also get arrangements which use 6 trumpets and 2 (sometimes even 3) tubas, maybe with one doubling on euphonium.
The way I arrange is to find out what the ensemble has and then write for that. Luckily at Surrey Brass ( http://www.surreybrass.co.uk ), we have quite an extensive range of players and instruments available - 6 trumpets, 4 horns, 3 trombones (including one who doubles on euphonium), bass trombone and two tubas. If I know that we have all of us available for a gig, I will utilise everybody, if it is appropriate.

As for percussion - no rules apply!
It all depends how many players you have got, what instruments they play, what instruments you have available.

Wish it was simpler than that!
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for recordings;
Philip Jones Brass Ensemble (the classic large brass ensemble)
Summit Brass
London Brass
Locke Brass Ensemble
German Brass
WashingtonSymphonic Brass

oh, and (of course )
Surrey Brass (blatant plug, sorry!!)
StewMuse
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I was playing with and then conducting the Chicago Brass Choir (1996-2002), we were primarily a 4 per part, plus euph and tuba. The literature we performed, however, varied greatly, anywhere from 7 - 15 players. There is no real "standard" size. From an arranging standpoint, I usually focus on a slightly smaller (maybe 4,2,3,1,1), since horns tend be more scarce (and finicky!). You can also write for the full ensemble, but make the 4th parts always covered elsewhere in the ensemble.

http://www.chicagobrasschoir.com

for recordings (Pictures at an Exhibition, A Mighty Fortress, others)

My iBooks currently available: Military Bugle Calls, Courting the Upper Register, Building Trumpet Technique, Tuff Keys, CUR II: JAZZ, Trumpet Rounds, Beginning Jazz for Young Trumpeters, Cigars @ Home
riffdawg2000
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ensemble I play in is a Community/University group and our standard instrumentation is usually like this:

8-trumpets (sometimes mixed keyed-trumpet parts and piccolos)
8-horns
3-trombones
2-euphoniums
3-tubas

Large group, yes. But we do seem to be able to play a lot of Gabrieli's Antiphonal brass type music. (with full choirs)

Some have said that the ensemble is too large. Uh…yes and no. We have a lot of strong players, but a few community players that are on the weaker side or have a skewed concept of tone. All in all, that is okay…it’s a community group! Overall, we end up sounding pretty good considering none of us are symphony professionals.
riffdawg2000
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ensemble I play in is a Community/University group and our standard instrumentation is usually like this:

8-trumpets (sometimes mixed keyed-trumpet parts and piccolos)
8-horns
3-trombones
2-euphoniums
3-tubas

Large group, yes. But we do seem to be able to play a lot of Gabrieli's Antiphonal brass type music. (with full choirs)

Some have said that the ensemble is too large. Uh…yes and no. We have a lot of strong players, but a few community players that are on the weaker side or have a skewed concept of tone. All in all, that is okay…it’s a community group! Overall, we end up sounding pretty good considering none of us are symphony professionals.
StewMuse
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel/RiffDawg -

Is that the number of players or actual independent parts???
KevinInGeorgia
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In referance to Emory Brass Ensemble
It's the number of Players..
Some of the pieces have 6 or 8 trumpet parts..( Janiek)
A lot of the the Gabrieli it done with One of the trumpets & one of the Horns helping on the 1st or 2nd part of each Choir.
Some of the Sutff we do is insane.. ( V. Williams Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis)

It is a fun ensemble to play in I played in it 2 semesters ago but was unable to do it this past semester.

“Heroes turn into martyrs on this instrument.” ~ William Vacchiano
adamcz
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the useful replies guys. I picked up a bunch of recordings from the library, and was able to find the scores to Schuller's brass symphony, and Carter's quintet (not the instrumentation I want, but still very helpful to me). I wish I could find more scores... I guess I should check out the public library at Lincoln Center.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: