• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Art Deco

View previous topic :: View next topic  
conn53victor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NPR today had a nice story about Art Deco (1910-1939). That matches a period of classic trumpet design. What horns are good examples of Art Deco trumpets? Although engraving is a part of it, I would be even more interested in the design itself.

Look at Paul Ayick's Conn 40 B at:
http://paulayickvintagebrass.com/
Nick DeCarlis calls the Vocabell "the ultimate art deco instrument"
http://www.vintagecornets.com/html/players.htm

and Christine's site with the Conn 40B Connqueror and other Conns at:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~cderksen/ConnLooksTrumpet.html

NPR story:
http://www.npr.org/display_pages/features/feature_1869505.html
mulligan stew
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently obsessed with these deco designs. The Vocabell trumpets are simply beautiful. The 48B is a regular-sized vocabell--also beautiful, but I prefer the "peashooter" design (just for looks' sake).

The 58B (I think it's called the New Era) is also a classic, deco design.

I've seen Bueschers that feature this look as well, and I think King had a deco-ish model in the 30s.

I like them a lot, aesthetically. I recently bought a (Conn) Cavalier to check out the sound on these peashooters. You'd expect a thin, pinched sound. In fact, it's got a pretty big blow, nice low F#s and Gs, and a bright, open upper register.

Now I'm gonna have to look for a decent 40B...
conn53victor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vocabell cornet on eBay at

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=64373&item=3721316753&rd=1

okay pics. I love the finger loop and spit valves on these horns.

How do the Vocabells sound in today's world?
mulligan stew
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, those waterkeys are the baddest ever! and the valve buttons...and the bottom valve caps...

I don't really know how they sound. The Cavalier I mentioned is built on the same body as the other "peashooter" Conns but has a standard bell. (Tho upon inspection the taper of the bell throat is different, I think.)

Pfrank has mentioned he played a Vocabell trumpet recently in Boston and was amazed at how heavy the brass was. Maybe if he sees this he'll elaborate.

Someone (bulos maybe?) mentioned recently that they preferred the sound and blow of the 48B to the 40B. Guess we'll just have to get one of each and see...
connloyalist
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to remember reading somewhere that at one point the entire trumpet section of Duke Ellington's band played the 40B...

Regards, Christine
mulligan stew
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

" I seem to remember reading somewhere that at one point the entire trumpet section of Duke Ellington's band played the 40B... "

but what did they know?

I like the Pan or Satyr-looking figure on some of the 40Bs...

Have any of you seen the King rimless-bell trumpet? I recall a pic somewhere...it's pretty deco as well, with that zig-zag bracing on the tuning slide.
nowave
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, there's a brand new horn that's using a rimless bell -- is it Wayne Tanabe's horn?
pfrank
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, MS, there was a 40B at Rayburns that I tried the last time I was there...'bout two months ago and yes, to make up for the lack of the bead on the rim, the brass is quite thick and the horn heavy. They are asking $700. As I said to you in an e-mail, that bell could be used as a weapon like an ax...

It seems to be in great condition, but even at that, it's a very dull sound which is not easy to produce. The bell is quite small. My 1930 425 bore Pan American and 1941 459 bore York are Much easier to play, and they are both heavier than modern trumpets. They have normal length valves that are top sprung. The valve stroke of the 40B is very short; the valves are stubby and bottom sprung. They probably haden't been oiled in a while, but even at that, I'll take top sprung valves... It's just not enough to be the best looking trumpet, it should be easy to play too! Kinda like some other things I can think of...

I'd love to hear a recording of that Ellington trumpet section, it must have sounded quite different than a modern section; almost woodwind like. Those guys had to be tough to play those things with the old mps...of course one can get used to anything, and maybe for its' time the 40B was a step up.

I bough a Conn 38B New Era a few months back, but it would need a valve rebuild, including the valve guides, but I'm keeping it as an orniment because it looks so bizarre, a little like a gar fish, or the 40B with the tunning ring below the slide. THis weekend I pick up a 1927 Conn 24B 438 bore which has rebuilt valves and is supposedly in playing condition. My expectations are best kept neutral...but I hope it's a nice surprise.

ps. I'm glad to hear that the Cavalier turned out good. I was eyeing that one too, but it closed at an inconvienient time, so I got the 24B.

[ This Message was edited by: pfrank on 2004-05-06 14:34 ]
heavyharmonies
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also, there's a brand new horn that's using a rimless bell -- is it Wayne Tanabe's horn?

Yes, the Chicago Brassworks horns have rimless bells...

-Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: