• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How do you rank the Olds cornets?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mouse

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ambassador apparently is highly regarded. How about the others? Do the Studio and Special models, for example, play as well as the Ambassador? Is the tone quality and/or intonation significantly different among the models? Any experience to share here?

YTR8335RGS
YTR6345
1956 Olds Super Trumpet
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently bought an Ambassador cornet for $27.50 on ebay for my 4 year old son. It plays great! I used to own a Special trumpet and sold it. Go to the olds central website for specs on these different horns. I believe the leadpipe is a different taper and bore on the Ambassador as compared to the Special. I like the blow of the Ambassador better. I think the Ambassadors play great and for the money, you can't beat them. I own several professional horns, but have always like the Ambassadors. They are fun to play.

[ This Message was edited by: Jon Arnold on 2004-04-21 10:57 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Jon Arnold on 2004-04-21 10:58 ]
rebelatheart
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own an Ambassador cornet and a Studio cornet. The Ambassador has a darker tone, and plays more open. The studio seems to have better workmanship and attention to detail. The Studio also has better intonation, a bit more resistance, and a sharper attack. The Ambassador seems a bit more flexible, as far as bending notes goes. Even though the Ambassador is the student horn, my daughter says that the Studio is easier to play for a beginner.
Tootsall
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"How do you rank the Olds cornets?"

1, 2, 3, 4, and another one and another one and..................
buzzer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently acquired a 1951 Ambassador cornet in excellent playing condition. Great valves, slides, etc. Going to have it re-laquered as it was when new. Not necessary to playing of course, but will look great. Very impressed with the tone - I agree with the post that said it has a dark tone - some of that is due to the MP which is the Olds #3. Going to get a GR cornet piece shortly and will be interested to see what that does to the tone, as I know it will have an effect. Nice horn for less than a hundred bucks.
RoyalAirsBlue

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a '66 Olds Super Cornet.....I is kinda beat up, but it plays like a dream.....absolute wonderful tone.....valves are very fast....looks bad.....thinking about getting it refinished, just afraid it may compromise the tone...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: