• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bach 43 leadpipe and rounded tuning slide

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpet112002
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am looking to customizing my old Strad. It has a standard 25 pipe and 43 bell. I am looking for a bit more open feel. What are the characteristics of the rounded tuning slide and 43 leadpipe. I am aware the leadpipe is a bit more open an brighter than the 25. What are your experiences?
Bach Strad 43-43
Olds Ambassador Cornet 1.5 vc curry
Adamson 1 1/2C
Curry 3Z.. 2008
veldkamp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a rounded tuning slide would open it up a bit, you could also think of a reversed leadpipe, that would help also.
nextbrassguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 25 LR (reverse) leadpipe with the rounded tuning slide and a 72 bell. The combination of rounded tuning slide and reverse leadpipe gives the horn a much more open feel. They really work for me.
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently had a Blackburn leadpipe installed on my old Bach 37. It is awesome. I only have a standard slide, but would eventually like to buy a rounded one. It was definitely worth the $$$.
trumpet112002
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will the rounded tuning slide significantly brighten the sound of the trumpet? Does the rounded tuning slide make a noticeable difference in resistance?
Bach Strad 43-43
Adamson 1 1/2C
Curry 3Z.. 2008
JohnL
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the Bach 25-O pipe. It's slightly more open than the 25. It worked for me.
Trptbenge
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think JohnL may have the best idea. Try one change at first. The 25-O leadpipe is definitely more free blowing then the 25. I am not sure how old your horn is but you also may take a look at the valve alignment.
Most people need some resistance to blow against. You probably don't want to go from a little tight to wide open. Try one thing at a time.

Mike
L&D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we spoke with Rich Ita last October or thereabout, he had a couple Malone semi-round tuning slides in inventory. Thought you might like look into this, too.
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-04-14 00:02, trumpet112002 wrote:
Will the rounded tuning slide significantly brighten the sound of the trumpet? Does the rounded tuning slide make a noticeable difference in resistance?

In general, all other things being equal, a rounded slide will reduce "focus" and "broaden" the tone. The resistance will be reduced and the flexibility will be increased. It does NOT brighten the sound.

Of course, these are all generalities. A rounded slide with more taper may reduce resistance AND increase brightness at the same time. Look at Wild Thing. There's a whole box-full of slides available for the same horn. Each slide has it's own character.

If a horn is generally a good match for a player, I really like experimenting with the main slide to zero-in on the personal balance (resistance, focus, etc.) where the player feels most comfortable. Weighted caps are another great fine-tuning mechanism at low cost and no need to mar the finish on a horn.

Dave
RGale
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 43 pipe works very well for me. It is the most open Bach makes and the slots are wider. I have one on my Bach Bb and C; it also plays better in tune IMHO than the standard pipes.
trumpet112002
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the 43 leadpipe drastically brighten the trumpet tone?
Bach Strad 43-43
Adamson 1 1/2C
Curry 3Z.. 2008
OCTA-C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the LTLRS43/43*(with rounded slide) which I feel is the brightest, lightest, broadest playing and feeling horn I have ever used. Some people who are familiar with the traditional model 37 made not like the sound or feel of this 43. To get the brightest sound possible, I feel you need to use the 43* bell. The more open leadpipe will only enhance the resonance and characteristics of the bell. IMO

"May the good sound be yours!"

"Always remember to blow into the proper end of the horn!"-circa. 1900 (Harry Gardoon)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
bophead
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, let me say that I no longer own a Bach. I have been experimenting with a student model instrument though. I have been changing configurations of various braces in consideration of eventually turning it into a tunable bell. I have found that by switching the direction of the forward most brace (closest to the bell), I have opened the horn up some. It is significantly more resonant has a a brighter sound. It is a simple, inexpensive process that is reversable if you do not like the way it turns out.
Pete
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't change both the leadpipe and the tuning slide at the same time. It's also not going to get a brighter sound that is going to be noticeable. I do own a few horns, and one that I've had the longest is a Bach LT180 with the 43* bell, and 43 leadpipe. I tried various tuning slides with it and ended up liking the standard tuning slide.

You could try a standard tuning slide from a large bore Bach (.462). This may help enough without doing much else. The slides are interchangeable within each weight category of Bach Strads. I personally never liked the sound of the round tuning slide on the Bach.

Pete
trumpet112002
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just put on the rounded tuning slide and boy did it make a difference. The horn plays much cleaner and open. Lip slurs are easy. It feels like a totally different horn. I can't wait to install the 43 leadpipe.........
Bach Strad 43-43
Adamson 1 1/2C
Curry 3Z.. 2008
deano

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may want to look at http://www.electrotheremin.com (Daves Trumpet). I play an 180ML Bach and I have just bought a tuning slide which is a copy of one from an old Bach (ca.1959). It is more of an arc than the newer Bach's, but not as extreme as the rounded ones. It has changed the characteristics of my trumpet for the good; the legato playing is significantly improved, and intonation (though good before) has improved. We played through the Meistersingers overture at work today, and I felt that the 'new' slide gave the sound a fantastic bloom, whilst still having the power and control when needed.

I am not a rep. for Dave, but can highly recommend his slide.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: