• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

The camel is happy (conn vintage 1 happy)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
camel lips
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Folks I am in love with my new Vintage one.It is a 1 sp 46.

I got it on EBay and got one of those sleeper deals on it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=64373&item=3720021741&ssPageName=STRK:MEBWA:IT

The story is that this horn plays extreamly centered largely in part to Conn making such a wonderful trumpet and Reeves doing the valve alignment.

Only flaw and mystery about it is the 2nd valve slide.It came in with the little knob missing( not that way in the photos) and there was no damage to the case or the box.I guess it was just one of those things.

The seller did a great job listing this horn and marketing it on EBAy.He was very truthful in his listing.A wonderful break since thesoundbox777 fiasco.Actually the horn looked better than it did in the photos.

Cambrass fixed the 2nd slide so I suspect that the reason the button fell of was because of something they did.It is still a little hard to pull out but manageable.

The previous owner of this horn said in his ad that the 3rd valve slide was not fast but after cleaning it real good and putting some tw 25b on it,it is slick as glass.

The valves on this trumpet are shorter than anything else on the market.It takes just a few minutes behind it to get the hang of it but once you do you will not want to play on anything else.

Folks,if you haven't tried a Conn Vintage one out you are missing out on one of the best horns on the market under $1500 bucks.Its a extremely good horn that I stack up right next the Flip oaks wild thing.Many of the studio and recording guys play one.George Tidwell,Brian Scriver and Carl Ficher from Maynard's band all play on one.Those are guys that make their living and reputation's on the way a horn sounds.

I still plan to get a large bore horn and I already know which one that one is going to be.Its going to be a gold Flip Oaks wild thing.The wild thing is worth the extra bucks they ask for it because they pay extream attention to detail.When you buy one of those horns you don't have to worry about slides not lining up or sending it out for a valve alignment.

Only complaint I have about any of the Conn Vintage one trumpets I have played was that the round tuning slide does not fit perfectly like the squared one does. No worries though,I plan to send mine back to Conn with a Nasty gram and tell them to fit it properly.

Try one,You wont be sorry.

[ This Message was edited by: camel lips on 2004-05-10 21:14 ]
Tootsall
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet deal, Ed. Any chance that whoever did the alignment got the 2nd slide mixed up with someone else's? That would explain both the missing knob and the tightness.

I agree... great Ebay ad. Surprised the seller didn't get more for it.
camel lips
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was VERY surprised that he did not get more.

I put in a last second bid with a maximum of $1500 and got it for the low price.
Good things do come to those that wait.

As for the second valve slide I think the answer is no to Reeves messing up the slide.Not sure what the real story was but the owner said that it was tight when he got it and he sent it to Cam brass to have them get it Strait.

Cam brass did a excellent job when they re soldered the sections back together but still did not get the slide smooth like it should be.No worries though,I rarely pull the second valve slide.Generally only for cleaning and it is certainly smooth enough for that.I will just take it to a local shop and let him put a small drop of solder on the ball and call it quits.

One other little flaw that I found just a few seconds ago is that it appears one of the weighted valve caps has some bugged up threads and it will not go on properly.I will probably just send that back to Conn for a replacement.

Not really sure how that happened either.Perhaps it was like that when it left the factory or the guy dropped it and forgot about it.This guy has been very honest and disclosed everything about the horn so I have no reason to suspect that he knew about it.

I am very pleased with this horn.I still want a large bore Wild thing in gold but this one is going to serve me well over the next few years.

I plan on going to several trumpet fests over the next few months and trying several different Getzens.Getzens have one of the best looking horns on the market and the fit and the finish is superb.My hope is to find a Getzen in a medium large bore that plays as centered as this horn does.When I do I will be picking up one of those also.

Other than a nice Kanstul mariachi (sp) horn and a flugal horn there are not too many more b flat horns that I am considering at the moment.With my Bach 43 Elkhart strad,This Conn Vintage one a Kanstul mariachi and a Conn Vintage one flugel my b flat armament should be about full.
vlbcw1

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed writes:

I still plan to get a large bore horn and I already know which one that one is going to be.Its going to be a gold Flip Oaks wild thing.The wild thing is worth the extra bucks they ask for it because they pay extream attention to detail.When you buy one of those horns you don't have to worry about slides not lining up or sending it out for a valve alignment.

A man after my own heart! I have Flip's Bb in lacquer and absolutely love it. Have you spoken with Flip yet? If not, be prepared for someone who knows how to make his customers happy.

Regards,

Lori

[ This Message was edited by: vlbcw1 on 2004-05-11 07:45 ]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Trptbenge
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a chance to play a Vintage 1 this past saturday and loved it. The valve action - though shorter was very nice and fast. I play a Kanstul 1500 that I love. However, the valves on the Kanstul are very average when compared to the V1, Selmer or a Getzen. The sound was was nice and centered. It seemed to play very well in tune.

You got a great buy on a fine horn! I am going to try and probably buy a Conn V1 flugelhorn in the next two or three weeks. I have ordered GR's new FD 65 flugelhorn mouthpiece - which was designed for flugels that have a tighter bore. Speaking of Carl Fischer I heard him about a month ago and he sounded unbelievable on both his trumpet and the flugelhorn. He uses a tighter leadpipe on his horn but his mouthpiece has a more open backbore.

Mike
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great deal.

The Ebay market for V1s has been surprisingly soft to me. Two or three mint versions have sold recently around $1000. Oh well, that's the way of the world.

Dave
camel lips
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lori,

Yes I have spoken with Flip.He is a very knowledgeable horn maker.

As luck would have it I was able to try out one of his horns for several weeks and fell in love with that horn.Its a big bore for sure.I found myself getting winded on it faster than I do with the Medium large bore horns.I wasn't too worried about that.I am really working hard at building my air support so In time this would not be a factor.I plan on getting a wild thing in the gold with the number 3 jazz and the standard slide.The Number 3 jazz was my second favorite slide and really made the horn resonate.The standard d ring slide really made the horn a deep dark sounding instrument.

This V1 just came around at the right time and at the right price.Had it been more money I would still be playing on my Bach Strad.I plan on giving the Bach strad a nice rest for a change.

Until then just put me in the dedicated fan column for the Wild thing.
WFUnix
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

How was did the resistance on the V1 you played compare to your Kanstul 1500? And which version of the V1 did you play? I'm hoping to compare a V1 1BR-46 to the 1500 in a couple of months. I love the 1500's sound, but found it to not have enough resistance for me above the staff. I found the V1 1B-46 to have excellent slotting and a good tone, and I just love the short-stroke valves. I would like it to be a darker however. I'm hoping the 1BR-46 would combine the strengths on the 1B and 1500 for me.

Thanks,

Joe
camel lips
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trptbenge,

I wil have to agree with you that the valves on a Kanstul are just kind of there.They work,they are nice but nothing special about them.I don't know what Flip does to his valves but he makes Kanstul valves a lot more responsive.

From what I hear from professional studio guys,the v-1 flugel is the working mans horn.It seems like every time I turn around and see what the pro's are using they are using the V1.

Its strange that you mention that you bought the GR mouthpiece before buying the flugel.I thought about doing the exact same thing.(Can I get some Rod Sterling music in the background please).

DC

As for the Conn v1 market being soft,I haven't seen any go this low.I suspect that several people got scared off by his description of the second valve slide and the discoloration.It is not bad at all.You have to look to see it.I suspect that a guy standing in the same horn line as me will not ever notice it unless he starts fondling my horn)which is a no no in my book)

As a matter of fact,most of the Vintage one horns are selling well over $1100.Considering that you Can buy a new one as low as $1250 bucks,I don't really see that as being a soft market.Most Bach's are selling in the $600-$900 dollar range and they cost $1400 new.All things considered the Conn's seem to be holding their value better than the Bach's.

I do see the occasional sale of a v1 without the dble case and the accessories go a little lower but that is to be expected.
mheffernen5
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations
B. Scriver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great deal on a really nice looking horn. Definately check out the V1 flugel and the GR FD series mouthpiece with it. I know that you will be thrilled! Enjoy the horn! I just can't put mine down. Bri

Brian Scriver
http://www.brianscriver.com
camel lips
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian,

Its great having you here.I am constantly amazed at the professional talent that shows up on this board.

Thanks for putting your time in here.I will be getting one of those mouthpeices for the Conn Flugel per your reccomendation.

BTW what are some of the options on the V-1 flugel other than finish?I am looking real hard at gettting the rose brass.

Take care

Camel lips

[ This Message was edited by: camel lips on 2004-05-11 18:05 ]
V1-man

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the V1 flugel only comes with the rosebrass.
bgwbold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you wrote:
As a matter of fact,most of the Vintage one horns are selling well over $1100.Considering that you Can buy a new one as low as $1250 bucks,I don't really see that as being a soft market.Most Bach's are selling in the $600-$900 dollar range and they cost $1400 new.All things considered the Conn's seem to be holding their value better than the Bach's.
======================

I think it the good resale is due to the fact that the model is still relatively new. Not that the Vintage Ones are not good horns, but there is still a little more demand than there is supply, which helps the price hold up. I am glad to see the good old name of Conn associated with a winner after several years of models that were not all that well received.

Mike
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People are buying V1s new for $1300 to $1500 new and having trouble getting $1000 on Ebay with no wear. That's not all that great. I'd think that they'd command $1100 in mint condition.

BTW, mint Bach 37s usually command $1000 or more, but they cost a little more new than a V1, in general.

Dave
camel lips
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dc,

most of them are bringing $1100 and up.

It takes a really strong Bach to bring that kind of money.

I got a email a few months ago where they were selling a over run of 37 lw for $1250 nib.
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only see these completed auctions:

http://search-completed.ebay.com/search/search.dll?GetResult&sacategory=41395&so=Show+Items&sapricehi=&soitemstatus=2&sofocus=so&sapricelo=&sosortproperty=2&from=R10&satitle=%22conn+vintage+one%22&catref=C6&sbrftog=1&sosortorder=2

You may have to be registered there to see, but both were mint horns for under $1000. I have a personal friend that took three auctions to eek out $1000, before auction costs, selling a like-new V1.

Dave

[ This Message was edited by: dcstep on 2004-05-12 14:26 ]
B. Scriver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Camel Lips,
Thank you for your kind words. I think that we are all in this together, this lifelong battle with the trumpet. As long as it remains fun, go for it!
The V1 Flugel is standard with the Rose Bell. There are no other options available with the exception of finish, as far as I am aware of. Frankly, there is really nothing I can see that needs to be improved upon. Remember that if your horn and mouthpiece match and they match you, that is half the battle. The other half is proper practice! Enjoy. Bri

Brian Scriver
http://www.brianscriver.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: