• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Verticle or horizontal tubing?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VM Trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been looking at a lot of flugelhorns nowadays (am eventaually going to buy) and see that there are those two distinct differences (among many other small ones). So what difference does it make?

At first I thought that the cheaper student models flugels had the horizontal, but then I went to the Stomvi site and saw that their "Elite" model has the horizontal tubing as well. So now I am confused. Does it effect the sound in any way, or is it just a matter of preference?

Thanks,
VM Trumpet
Kanstul BMV 1 1/2C/10, W3S/RZR, Yamaha 11B4
Tom LeCompte
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything affects the sound to some degree.

The biggest effect on sound is probably the fact that the horn is held differently with vertical tubing. It's held in a way that makes it more difficult to use pressure to play, and that changes the sound more than the extra bend does.

There are quite a few combinations of tubing. The old Benges had a horizontal 1st valve with saddle or trigger and a vertical 3d valve. So instead of pulling your 3rd valve on low D and C#, you'd do it with your first valve. In general, horizontal tubes seem to be more popular on student horns and on horns with trumpet-like bores, but this is more of a trend than a hard and fast rule.

I think the biggest difference is not the physical arrangement of the tubing, but the bore taper throughout the horn. There is a tremendous variation in this one parameter, and it makes a big difference in how the horn sounds and plays.

Cheers,

Tom
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most professional flugels have vertical tubing and the student models have horizontal. The Inderbinen flugel Roy Hargrove plays has horizontal tubing. It sounds great to me.

[ This Message was edited by: Jon Arnold on 2004-05-17 21:39 ]
Martin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hargrove´s Inderbinen actually has horizontal slides.
The reason most student flugels come with horizontal slides is economical - manufacturers simply use their trumpet valve assemblies to keep costs low.

Martin
trumplyr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-05-09 00:44, Martin wrote:
The reason most student flugels come with horizontal slides is economical - manufacturers simply use their trumpet valve assemblies to keep costs low.

Martin,

This is the first time I've heard this, and, it makes the most sense. Thanks for the explanation.

Marty

"Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best."
Frank Zappa
Tom LeCompte
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Martin that there is recycling of valve assemblies on the low-cost flugelhorns (I hesitate to use the word "student" - how many fourth graders start on flugelhorn?). I don't see why that impacts the slide orientation - even vertical slide flugels have horizontal valve ports, no?

Horizontal tubing does let them reuse the slides, of course. I have no idea if they actually do this.

Cheers,

Tom
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upon close examination, you'll see that the design of the valve cluster on a pro flugel with vertical slides is quite different than a student flugel using a trumpet vlave cluster, especially the third valve ports.
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26763
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: