• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Practice Log

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thegambler

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted this in Fundamentals as well, but I wanted to make sure I got input from the players who don't get over to that topic much:

Who out there uses a practice log, or diary?

I'd like to know what kind of things you note in the log, and of which trends you are trying to keep track.

In my own log, I keep track of the start and end times for each playing session, as well as material covered, and the aim for each drill.

Also, I comment on how I feel, which drills seem to help, and any observation from that day's performance or rehearsal.

It has been my experience that everyone claims a diary is a great idea, but most balk when it comes to actually doing it.

What do you think?
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thegambler,

I know that I responded in the folder in the other forum, but I remembered that I had posted on this topic in the Pedagogy folder last year. This is a great snapshot of why I have enjoyed the Practice Log concept [not from notating start and end times, tempos, etc. but from the perspective of identifying fundamental weak areas in my playing (log), and then developing tangible practice techniques to target and improve these deficits (list)].

TH Message

This message is related to Practice Schedules and using a Daily Practice Log. It was in response to a topic on the TPIN list, but it really fits nicely with this Pedagogy topic on the Trumpet Herald.

James, You Wrote:
Whereas you are working on refinements, I OTOH am working on much broader items...Most of my trumpet skills, at this point, would line up on the left side of your Pareto Diagram.

Yep! I was at this point several years ago. Trying to bite off more than I was capable of handling, and then not really making any progress in ANY of the different areas because I was trying to spread myself too thin and cover EVERYTHING every time that I sat down to practice.

My list of areas for improvement included sound, sight-reading, multiple tonguing, scales, literature, range, endurance, etc. Well, it got to the point that I dreaded practicing because there was SO much to cover every time I would practice that I would just become overwhelmed and accomplish very little. That's not a good frame of mind to be in to make any significant progress!

Finally, I decided to approach things with a much different tactic. After reading about Practice Logs on TPIN (from a student that had attended a Byron Stripling Master Class), I jumped in with both feet, and determined that this was what I needed to progress as a player. You can read about my impressions of Practice Logs at:

http://abel.hive.no/oj/musikk/trompet/tpin/Trumpet_Practice.html
AND
http://abel.hive.no/trumpet/practice/Practice_Log.html

Based on my written impressions over a series of weeks and months, I focused in on the areas that came up most often in my practice as "weak" areas requiring solutions to overcome. In effect, I was applying a "filter" to all of those items that were on the left side of my Pareto Diagram, and found that two of them needed the most attention. What was it that was the NUMBER ONE item that I wanted to focus on? Well I ended up choosing Sound (this aligns with the "response" issue that I discussed in the above link from Ole's site).

After reviewing my article, I notice that my growth related to "response" has made great strides since December 2000. While very soft practice and "whisper tones" are certainly helpful, and I have applied them with success over the past 3 years, I have found additional techniques related to response. Breath attacks on the mouthpiece/leadpipe combination followed by breath attacks on the Caruso 6-note exercise to align with the resonant center of the instrument are my personal KEYs to solving this "weak" area in my personal practice. Then focusing quality time each day with the James Thompson Buzzing Basics book (preceded by the leadpipe/6-note drills) allows me to develop the all-important "vibrancy" to provide me with a resonant, ringing sound. This "process" is one that has evolved for me until I found something that really worked and provides a means to get consistent results related to resonant sound.

I have followed the same process for so many areas in my playing (i.e. applying the Practice Log to solve difficult problems). For multiple tonguing I discovered that I needed to isolate my single tonguing and K tonguing to make incremental progress in these two important components of articulation. However, too much time on this one discipline would take away from other areas needing attention. So, I found the "one-minute" articulation drill (Clarke/Gekker) and use it for both T and K articulations (2 minutes a day).

For sight-reading I work on Rhythmic Studies and Solfege during my breaks (5 minutes or so at a time). This focused conscious thought is driving these aspects of playing deep into my subconscious. For some insight on the Ryhthmic Studies look at: http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?topic=14151&forum=2&8

I guess the whole key to improvement is finding a way to incorporate small elements of a specific focus into my practice day (via the Practice Log and the Practice Schedule). By keeping it fairly simple, I don't feel overwhelmed anymore, and the incremental improvements are really remarkable.

Considering that we are all unique as players, my practice schedule uniquely reflects MY current needs on the instrument. It evolves and changes as I make improvements through practice, so what "fits" for me right now will be modified several months from now to better align with my needs at that point. Please use this example as a guide to develop your own schedule to meet your personal needs.

I hope this will give you some ideas on how to "take smaller bites"!

Take care,
softcase
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a bit of a journal. I was driven to do so by reading "The Inner Game of Music", which discusses practice logs at one point, and mine is pretty much exactly what the book suggests. I have my goals, short and long term, at the front so that I can consult them regularly. I use the journal to plan out my practice time, and make comments during and after practicing. I've found that I'm better able to see what I need to work on, and what I don't so much. I've only been using it for a couple of weeks, but I think that it's helping me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: