• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

First Big-Time Audition

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ejaime23
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm auditioning for my first big-time group which is the President's Own Marine Band in September. I just wondering if anyone has any advice as to what to expect, how many trumpet players are roughly going to be there? Is it going to be play and get out, or play, they'll talk to me a bit, and then get out. Any suggestions will help. Thanks a lot!!
Athos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never auditioned for a service band before, but I would guess it would be a "play and go" situation. If they're interested, they'll probably call you back again. Any service band guys want to comment?

A bit of advice: I wouldn't sweat over who or how many other trumpeters will be there. Prepare yourself, and play like you're proud to be you. If your stuff is what they want to hear, they'll like it.
No BS
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were over 100 players there last time I believe. The audition is held like any other professional audition-behind a screen no talking. If you advance you have an interview with the Sargent Major (I think that's who he was-he had a big freaking sword on his wall!). The finals are unscreened and include alot of sightreading (playing duets with the principal)..hope this helps...best of luck!

p.s Be prepared to wait around a LONG time with just a "common room" to warm up in..you are given your own room 20 minutes or so before you play. Bring a book and a discman
Musicman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I auditioned for the President's Own in I believe '97 or '98...can't remember exactly the year. There were 60 of us in a general warm up room. Two guys, if I remember correctly, that were in other service bands and looking for a transfer, were brought in to the semi's or directly to the finals. Be ready for the sight reading. Some band arrangements are very challenging technically (sometimes you play string parts that are put in the trumpet parts during the transcription process). Just try to create your own little world in the general warm up room and you will be fine. Don't let anything intimidate you. Most of the guys that play things twice as fast as you do end up losing. It is obvious that music and style is not about how fast you can play things. Also remember that this band his its definite style.
El Fliscornista

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ejaime23---

Good luck with the audition. I've been in the DC Army Band (Pershing's Own) for around 18 years now. It is good to see a Sam Houston guy taking these auditions. I graduated from Sam in '83. A couple of my old college buddies are playing trombone in the President's own. Anyway, if you don't win this one, there'll be other opportunities in these band as we all get old and retire.

James
kzem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I auditioned for the President's Own a while back (10 years ago?)
I think there were about 120 players there. I showed up at 7:30, didn't have to play until about 12:15. After each group of 6, they brought you into a stairwell and told you if anyone was selected for the semis-
There wasn't any sightreading, at least for the prelims and semis

Kurt
ejaime23
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot guys!! I was honestly expecting to be some 3-400 trumpet players there, but I guess I was just a bit off. Thanks for all the tips and what not, and it's good to see some succesful Bearkats on the forum. Thanks again!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: