• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Best Steal on eBay

View previous topic :: View next topic  
conn53victor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the best steal on eBay? there are enough knowledgeable people looking for the big brand vintage horns (Olds, Conn, Bach, etc) that you just aren't going to get one for a song (snicker) unless it has no picture and is listed simply as "trumpet." Are there any pretty darn good horns out there being overlooked?
Ebayscrounger
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best steal on Ebay is people who sell "Buy-It-Now" horns that don't know what they have. These are rare and a lot of people are looking for them. Last week I got a decent Olds Super Cornet for $129, and the week before a silver 80 year old Conn 22B for $115. A lot of people write poor descriptions and take poorer pictures. I recently bought an old Reynolds ERA (same as the Olds Custom High Range) for $72.00...Poor picture, the captian was "Horn used one year", I saw the short bell flair in the picture and asked what was inscribed on the bell..."Clarin ERA" was the response. I always ask lots of questions.

Still looking for my horn...
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heavyharmonics got a Conn short model Connstellation cornet with copper bell for 199.00, goes down in my book as the best steal to date.

My personal best was a 1942 Conn 12-B coprion for 60.00, although it has appearance issues.
heavyharmonies
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Connie just eats at you, doesn't it?....

Yeah, that one was a real good deal. I'm planning to have it cleaned and relacquered at some point. I'm holding off on sending a bunch of my horns out for restoration until I get a "test horn" back from the place I'm thinking of using. The test horn is a 1946 (I Think) King Master Cornet, also IMHO a steal ($119 BIN). Plays beautifully, but LOTS of dings and dents, as well as a poor previous relacquer job. I should have it back next week. They had to replace the lead pipe (rotted out), and they sent the bell to be re-engraved. The horn was a gold lacquer when I got it; I'm having it done in silver plate, with gold top and bottom valve caps, tuning knob, and inside bell. I'll post before and after pics when i get it back (assuming they did a good job).

I just got the 1959 Olds Studio Cornet that I bought last week for a $149 BIN. Plays quite nice. I'll be restoring this one as well, along with a ~1933 Olds Special trumpet (early S/N 79xx).

Those are the ones that jump out as "great deals". I've some others that were decent, but not Wow-ish...

-Dan

[ This Message was edited by: heavyharmonies on 2004-05-22 19:09 ]
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my covetous nature......;>)

I have a history with that specific model, and can fully appreciate what a huge deal that was, as I have never been able to afford one. Found one in a pawn shop once for 60 bucks, in fair condition. As I was in there to hock a spare tire and jumper cables for gas money, it wasn't an option, nor was it an option after payday.

Haven't found one since within my budget, as they rarely come up for sale and tend to get out of the 500.00 range pretty quick.
_Japle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of years ago on eBay, I got a horn described as "Old Brass Trumpet" for $62.
It was a gold plated, engraved 1930 Martin handcraft with the original case and mouthpiece. There was so much mildew on it that the guy couldn't tell what he had.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: