• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Olds Recording vs Yamaha 8335RGS

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bebop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have any of you played both of these horns? How do they compare? Which one would work better in a big band solo chair?

Are there other horns that might be better in this type of music?
Jim
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man, the Selmer Paris Concept TT blows away the Yamaha for a jazz chair horn. I don't know the olds but I've played several 8335RGs. No offense meant but all the Yamaha seem dead and undynamic compared to the TT. The TT has an advantage in resonance, dynamics and varied tone color. Use the search function and look at the extended discussion about the TT and it's cousin the 80J.

That said, Chase Sanborn plays a 8335RGSM and sounds fantastic.

Dave
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-05-05 15:42, bebop wrote:
Have any of you played both of these horns? How do they compare? Which one would work better in a big band solo chair?

Are there other horns that might be better in this type of music?
Jim

I know nothing about the Yamaha, but I do know that it's hard to beat an Olds Recording for any kind of playing. I've been "breaking in" a 1937 Olds Super Recording, and while it took a little getting used to at first, I'm finding that the sound I get on this sucker is simply amazing.

Now, bear in mind that I'm a confirmed Olds junkie . . . but that doesn't mean that you can't be one too!

Rich
Trptbenge
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both are fine horns. I have not been a fan of the 8335RGS but I know players who are. I have always loved Recordings. They may be the best horn Olds ever made. One thing you might think about when you get a horn for Big Band solos is to try and find a horn you can really get some burn or sizzle on if need to. Obviously, there are some songs that you want a beautiful, mellow sound but other tunes need that sizzle on.

If you are in a place where you can play different horns then test play several horns and see which one you like. Now, the Selmer TT that Dave plays is a pretty large bore and not everyone can handle that but the resonance of the horn and sound is unbelievable.

Mike
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played them both and prefer the Recording -- it has such a fat sound in the lower reg but really sizzles up top, too.

As always, however, different people get different results and reactions from the same horn, so don't go strictly by my opinion. Best approach is to try to find someone in your area that has the horn(s) your interested in and arrange a play/test.

You might do what others have done around the country and hold a Trumpet Fest, where people bring horns and you spend a couple of hours trying 'em all.

We had one a while back in Chicago at which we had more than 50 different kinds of vintage and contemporary horns. Everybody got a much better sense of what horns they've been curious about can do.

Good luck!

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, FYI, I shooting for a November DFW TrumpetFest. It's not too early for dealers and builders to contact me about displaying your horns. We had about 60 trumpeters show up last year and had about as many horns. Obviously, my Selmer will be there again this year, along with an 80J and a great selection of new and used Bachs, Schilkes, Callets, Callichios, Kanstuls, Conns, Stomvis, Jupiters, etc., etc., etc.

(It never too early to start promotion). Please excuse the shameless plug.

Dave
djm6701
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Recording is more versatile. You can get that smokey sound out of it in the lower register if you want or you can play it bright. The Recording has a smaller bell (4 3/4") than the Yamaha and the heavyweight rose brass projects better than anything else. I'm not a fan of Yamaha valve action but that's personal preference by a long shot. I still think the Yamahas are very fine horns with superb quality control but I prefer my Recording.

GR 65.6 Mouthpieces
a jazz.fm member
improver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres no way that Selmer TT plays better than the xeno rgs model not even close
brad333
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had to play a Recording for the rest of my days I'd probably survive but I prefer the Xeno. Mind you, I've only played one Recording and almost a half dozen RGS's.

I played one last week and heard something new in it's tone that I hadn't picked up on before. Perhaps it was because I was able to try is side by side with my horn. I think that's the first time I've had my trumpet with me while trying an RGS. Anyway, I heard that the sound was brighter but actually richer. I'm guessing the silver plate on the gold brass bell(I know Dave said rose brass but I'm pretty sure it says gold on the Yamaha site) created a different and more interesting set of overtones than my lacquer yellow brass.

Gold brass is warmer/richer sounding that yellow brass and silver brightens while lacquer deadens high overtones. I suppose the lacquer yellow imitates a warm sound by killing high overtones but the gold brass is the real thing and the silver just brightens it up.

Enough rambling, I prefer the Xeno. Rich, bright, vibrant sound. Yamaha blow(if you like it and many do). Good crafstmanship. If you've tried one you like you can be pretty sure you can buy any horn and it'll play the same.
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-05-06 20:33, improver wrote:
Theres no way that Selmer TT plays better than the xeno rgs model not even close

This could be true for some people. Why don't you mention a couple of points which would make the RGS superior to the TT as a jazz-chair horn?

Dave

[ This Message was edited by: dcstep on 2004-05-07 07:21 ]
MarkHeuer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've owned both horns. Both are exceptional. If I ONLY played legit stuff I'd go with the RGS. If I ONLY played jazz stuff I'd go with the Recording. For all around applications, it's a toss up, but probably leaning the direction of the Recording.

[ This Message was edited by: MarkHeuer on 2004-05-21 11:19 ]
bebop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Yamaha Shew model that was adjusted by Bobby (plays open) for big band work. I was looking at the Yamaha 8335RGS or Olds Recording for legit. Unless someone has some other options that might work better.
Jim
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have played a LOT of horns in my time, but not much experience with Yamaha. I had the opportunity to try a Xeno at the local store alongside Schilke B1, Conn V1 (yellow & rose) and Bach 37. The Xeno was very well put together and had an easy blow, but not much body or breadth to the sound. Overall, I was impressed with the craftsmanship, but it just didn't have the sound. I guess if I was looking for transparent studio sound it might be ok. Anyway, I know what a Recording can do and that would be my preference.

Nate

p.s. I played a Schilke for 20 yrs - outstanding horn. Very impressed with the V1 although suprisingly preferred the silver yellow bell to the lacquer rose. The Bach was a tank - too much work and too little resonance. Of course the Jazz tops them all: projection with a sound a mile deep!
- TH member and advertiser (name withheld)
Rich_Nichols

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play an Olds Recording, quite happily, and everyone who tries my horn is knocked out by it. I got it four or five years ago for 600 on ebay, and put another 150 for some repairs before I started using it fulltime. It does everything well. My only gripe is the lack of a first slide saddle, but you can get those installed.
You can't just go out and buy a Recording though, like you can a Yamaha. You can even order a Yamaha sight unseen and be pretty well assured that it will be great- possibly need some minor tweaking, but will be a great new horn.
As I see it, that's an undeniable advantage. You can get a new horn without waiting weeks or months, scouring ebay, doing a bunch of trial and error, etc. Finding and keeping a vintage horn like an Olds or a Mt Vernon, etc, is like having an old Porsche. There's an undeniable character to the feel and sound and everything, but forget about easily finding parts and whatnot. Getting a new Yamaha is like getting a new car. You don't have to worry about something being weird about it, it's going to be great.

Anyway, I take the side of those who say that trumpets are inexpensive, as instruments go. Get the best you can afford. If you like Yamahas and Olds, get both. Collect them if you want to. Buy a 3 or 5 or 10 thousand dollar horn if you like them, even- or maybe especially- if you aren't a full time professional. Anyone who's judging you on your decision to do so can take a hike, unless you are married to them. Someone (chase sanborn, maybe?) once pointed out that most trumpet players will spend less purchasing horns than most saxophonists spend maintaining horns. So if your other bills are paid, go nuts.
Tim80
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I consider myself more of a trumpet owner than a player. I'm just a comeback guy. So please take what I say with a grain of salt. I play tested a Xeno 8335 at a local music store. It wasn't the RGS. It had the standard leadpipe. I compared it against a standard Bch 37 they also had in stock. I liked the Bach 37 better. I had a better tone with the Bach. I bought an Olds Recording off of ebay. I had the best sound on it of any trumpet I've fooled with. I think an Olds Recording if it was in minty condition would be great trumpet. Now since your talking about a big band horn just go ahead and get a Burbank or LA Benge 3X mlp. You could probably get both the Benge and the Recording for the price of a new Xeno though.

Tim

[ This Message was edited by: Tim80 on 2004-05-24 09:29 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: