• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

A perfect day

View previous topic :: View next topic  
radiobob
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it was a perfect trumpet players day today. It started out with buying a circa 1941 Reynolds - for $30. don't have it yet but looks to be in good shape. Then took the wife to see the Indiana Wind Symphony perform. My instructor/repair guy is in it and he invited us. John Rommel, Professor of trumpet at I.U. was the featured soloist and performed "Concerto for Trumpet and Winds" by Alfred Reed. It was beautiful. During intermission, my instructor, Bob Frost, pointed to a white haired elderly gentleman in the audience. "That's Bill Adam, my former teacher" he explained. Well, even though I'm only a few months into my comeback, I know who Bill Adam is. Seems Mr. Adam was there to recieve an achievment award from the symphony and to hear his former pupil Mr. Rommel and visit with others. I was bold enough to go up and introduce myself to Mr. Adam and shake his hand and chat for a moment. He seemed to be a very kind gentleman as well as his wife. I also found that the principal trumpet was a fellow I went to high school with and haven't seen in 28 years! He was also a former Adam pupil and presented the award. All in all a pretty good day for a trumpet player. I only regret I didn't ask Mr. Adam for some advice for an aging comeback player, probably won't get another chance.

Bob
hose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a fun concert to play, too. And Rommel is magnificent. Glad you liked it. I thought it was a classy gesture when Rommel took the flowers he was presented with, walked back and handed them to Mrs. Adam.

Picketts
Yamaha 6335RC
Yamaha 8335RS
Lawler Flugel
Kanstul cornet
radiobob
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I forgot to mention that, it was a nice gesture. I saw you lost a third trumpet, gonna need a replacement? I'll be coming to see you guys on a regular basis. All of you performed very well and sounded great. A nice venue too.

Bob

[ This Message was edited by: radiobob on 2004-05-24 01:03 ]
2ndchair
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

radiobob's right, it was a great night for trumpet players! Rommel was in fine form and the band was, as usual a lot of fun to play with. For what it's worth the quote is "That's Bill Adam, my trumpet teacher" 'cause we all know once Mr. Adam gets you going you're always a student of his.

John Rommel did what we'd all love to do with the flowers for Mrs. Adam. We all know she has spent many years listening to us play routine and still welcomes us in her home. She does get to hear musicians like John Rommel play the trumpet though, and that's worth quite a bit.............................
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: