• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Olds/Reynolds Frankenhorn stencil

View previous topic :: View next topic  
radiobob
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a cheap horn a few weeks ago that I thought was a late '50's York ( or whoever made them for York then, I believe Tom Turner mentioned in another post that Yorks were being made by an Italian company them, I see a lot of them as stencils) I thought it would be a good practice, carry anywhere horn, and I thought the name engraved on it, "Acme Standard", was cool, Wile E. Coyote's favorite horn! When I showed it to my repair guy he said it was an Olds product, and that Olds made stencils like everyone else. I was skeptical, as only the valve casings and the water keys looked like the ones on Ambassadors, until I thought to look at some Reynolds Medalists. This horn is a mix of parts from Ambassadors and Medalists, down to the last detail. So I'm thinking they took a bunch of surplus parts and cobbled them together to make some stencil horns, maybe for a smaller special order. Anyone have any info on these? It plays pretty well, a great tone, though the slotting isn't great, although after its had a tune up I'm sure it'll be better. I have never heard of Olds stencils, whaddya think?

Bob

[ This Message was edited by: radiobob on 2004-05-24 20:24 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: