• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Guilty Pleasures

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Uberopa
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

Have you priced an Olds Ambassador or Recording model on Ebay lately? This forum contributors frequently extol the virtues of these instruments so much so that the prices have now risen by 15 - 25%. Having priced the Olds models up beyond reason are there any new qualifiers as interesting, quality built but underrated instruments? How does the Getzen Super Deluxe stand up as a reasonable cost Olds Recording comparison?
Are older Conn 22B's the new "sleepers"?
What say the tall foreheads?
rebelatheart
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Reynolds horns are essentially identical to the Olds and command less of a price. Olds Ambassadors aren't the bargain they once were, but the Reynolds Medalist can be had much cheaper, dirt cheap in many cases.
heavyharmonies
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's kinda funny: ambassadors have gone up, but specials and studios seem to have stayed flat, so you can pick up a special or super at approximately the same price, or just a little bit higher.

-Dan
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does a receding hairline qualify as a tall forehead??

As far as vintage 22B's, don't know. I have avoided anything in the trumpet or cornet world with the word 'Director' attached to it, with the exception of a cornet I bought for a friend. And that is probably not fair to the older trumpets, as it had to be pretty good for there to be so many of them left.

As far as sleepers, I like the Holtons. The newer 602 can be had pretty cheap on ebay, and is a good, durable beginner trumpet. The older 47's and 48's are pro quality, and almost never go over 150.00. The ST series tend to go higher, but I think that is because everyone has to own one at some point just to convince themselves it ain't the equipment....but you can still pick one up in the 400.00 range. I paid 300.00 for my ST 550, and it is my main player.

I am also beginning to pay more attention to the B and H horns. The 4 I've bought were all under 100.00, and are all solid players, with a large bore Emperor being the best of the bunch, although it whips my butt to play it for an entire day of practice. If I am interpreting everything I read correctly, these have more of a direct link to the original French Besson than the Bessons presently manufactured. The Emperor is presently on loan to a far, far better player than I and he says he has no problem blending with the Strads in the group, a major prerequisite to anything being considered for orchestral work.
mheffernen5
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever I walk into (oh let's say Wal-Mart) I notice everything is going on the up right now like milk, butter, eggs and many other things like gas.

Olds Ambassadors would be a better trumpet to start someone on than a modern day E-Bay Japanese Trumpet for example. I think personally that it is worth the extra money to have a better starting trumpet than a crappy Japanese trumpet from E-Bay.
camel lips
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

darn,I was hoping this was going to be the first TH sex thread
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: