• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Does TH affect eBay prices?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
conn53victor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much does this forum affect eBay prices? Mostly horns of one type (high end, vintage) or brand/model (Strads)? Any examples?
bgwbold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anything, it might help keep someone from shooting the moon on some pretty average model. Likewise, I have learned a lot about the lower priced horns. I would have to say that the best playing Olds horn I have for the money is a $150 Olds Ambassador I've had for a few years. I would not have touched it years ago, and now I would not be afraid to take it anywhere.

The main thing is, don't be afraid to ask a question. It might keep you from making a big mistake. And if you have already overpaid for something bad, it will help you not to feel so bad about unloading it and getting something better.

Most people can hopefully tell the difference between hype and genuine comments. "The XYZ is the greatest horn ever. Oh, by the way, I have one for sale over in the Marketplace." =]

Mike
radiobob
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think TH affects Ebay prices quite a bit. I know I've made most of my buying decisions at least in part from info gleaned here, and I'm sure others do the same. There just isn't much info out there, and so people will utilize whatever they can find.

Bob
pfrank
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich Wiley on TH is responsible for the rise in Olds prices. He did it all by himself by praising them to high heaven. Course, on this he is %100 correct and if I ever sell my 1960 Studio Cornet, I'll get more, so by then I'll be glad.
JGulyas
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-06-02 12:11, pfrank wrote:
Rich Wiley on TH is responsible for the rise in Olds prices. He did it all by himself by praising them to high heaven. Course, on this he is %100 correct and if I ever sell my 1960 Studio Cornet, I'll get more, so by then I'll be glad.

Posh.

Rich Willey isn't the brightest bulb in the bunch, folks. Matter of fact, I think the cheese fell off his cracker long ago! I mean come on, he's got about 40 old dusty horns in his basement, that when you get close to just one of them, the smell of age will knock you on your butt. Plus, he's got bass trumpets! What the heck are those things?? And his books, my gosh, have you seen those things? Puhleeze!

He's got two good things going for him though. One is his wife, she's very pleasing to the eye and super, super sweet. She's got more sweetness in her pinky toe than a 20 pound bag of sugar. She's almost *too* sweet! Two is her daughter; I don't think I've ever met such a polite teenager ever. I couldn't believe it when I met her, she actually sat in the parlor with me, Rich and his wife and had a conversation. It was amazing.

On the topic at hand, however, I really don't think this place has too much bearing on the eBay prices, unless someone on this board actually puts something up there. Other than that, I don't believe all that many people know about the TH. They just want to sell their horn(s) to some poor sap who doesn't know any better.

John

PS

Rich, love ya man. Drop me an email and tell me about your new pad!

John

US Navy Bandsman 1996-2010 (Trumpet; Audio Engineer)
Mpc - Kanstul/Monette B6, Hammond Design custom "JG"
Bb - Yamaha 6335HGSII
C - Eastman ETR530
Picc - NoName Chinese
djm6701
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think posting here does effect prices, especially when someone posts asking something like:

'What do you think of this horn?'

or

'Hey, I found this great Martin-Olds-Schilke-Bach-name-your-horn at a really low price on ebay'

which then sends the rest of us into a bidding frenzy, thus cancelling out any advantage the original poster had.

GR 65.6 Mouthpieces
a jazz.fm member
Ebayscrounger
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless, of course, the original poster was the SELLER!!!

Still looking for my horn...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: