• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bach 72 MLV (Vindabona) question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jotrpt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I would like to get some opinions/experiences on a Bach Strad with the 72 bell and the MLV (Vindabona) bore, particularly how it compares to a standard Bach ML with the 37 bell, say. I was told already that it tends to have a darker and fatter sound than a 37, but the same characteristics I read also in conjunction with the ML-72* (lightweight). Any comments how
these two compare?

Thanks, Jochen.
davo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jochen,

I have owned each of the models you mentioned (72 ML, 72 MLV and 72*ML). They are each similar but different. My opinions of each of them are (using a Bach 3C mouthpiece in each case for comparison):

72 ML - dark, powerful sound with volume, but a bit "tubby" when played pianissimo
72 MLV - similar sound, but a bit easier to move around the horn. More resistance in the upper register.
72* - is a chameleon and my favorite of the three, especially with the 43 leadipipe which opens up the horn. It has a similar sound in the lower and middle registers due to the bell flare but brightens up as you ascend. It is also more responsive due to the lightweight bell. I thought this was a most versatile horn that could be played for lead, jazz, commercial, orchestral and small ensemble just with a change in mouthpiece (and attitude).

Others opinions may be different. Actually, I'm sure they will be, which is why we have these forums!

Good luck in your quest.

Dave
jotrpt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave (and hopefully also others),

thanks for this valuable info. In the meantime I went through earlier posts related to this
topic, and as far as I understood, the dual bore feature is simply a property of the main
tuning slide having an increasing inner diameter at constant outer diameter of the tubing, while everything behind that (i.e. valve section, valve bows etc.) is the same as for a usual
ML Strad. If this assumption is correct, it would mean that in principle one could transfer a
72 ML into a 72 MLV just be changing the main tuning slide (provided the 72 ML to start
from has already the 43 pipe which I read is the default with the 72 MLV). Would you agree or am I overlooking something, e.g. are there also differences at the beginning of the bell section? Can these MLV tuning slides be ordered separately?

Thanks, Jochen.
gustav
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have owned a Bach 72 VindaBona and it was a nice playing horn. Yes Jochen you are right the only difference is the main tuning slide at the top is a 453 bore size and enlarges to 459 as it goes into the the third valve. I had a bach large bore 37 that i had a third slide made which was 459 on the top and enlarged to 462 as it went into the third valve. So per Ken Pettifor who worked in Bach's custom dept. for over 35 years you can make any horn a VindaBona. Basiclly the same idea of the Mike Vax Yamaha. Hope this helps.
jotrpt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And still another point that someone might have useful information on:
The Strad 72 MLV comes with the #43 leadpipe standard. Would the pipe be explicitly marked, or not since it's just the standard for this model? A friend of mine's 72 MLV with serial-# below 100000 does not have any marking on the pipe. Or has the #43 pipe not been the standard at earlier times? Maybe someone of you owns one of these older MLVs and can provide some info on that...

Thanks, Jochen
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: