• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

King Master Cornet mouthpiece receiver and...thanks

View previous topic :: View next topic  
supportlivejazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I left my Olds Ambassador cornet at a friend's house. It is the horn I carry around when I travel. So, I went to a local music store where I had left a very nice 1951 vintage King Master Cornet to sell and advertise that I sell trumpets and cornets. It has been there for a couple of years. I brought it home and played it...these are very under-rated horns IMHO. Nicely finished, well built, solid and nice fat sound. I do not understand why they don't bring more money and aren't talked about more as a great choice for a messin' around second horn. Here's my question....The King mouthpiece that came with it fits just fine...all the rest of my cornet mp's are too long or do not fit snugly in the receiver....??? Did King have thier own design, anyone have similar experience... any thoughts welcome.

AND HAPPY HOLIDAYS to all obcessed trumpet and cornet geeks and dweebs and general all around nuts world wide (that includes yours truly, by the way). A special holiday greeting and good word to any trumpet player, wannabe or lover of the horn that always can be heard. And absolute extreme holiday cheer to all who frequented small cubs, large auditoriums and sunny outdoor venues so that they could SUPPORT and ENJOY LIVE JAZZ. Thanks Wynton, Roy (Hargrove and Eldridge), Nicholas, Clifford and Fats, Donald (Byrd), young Christian Scott, Tomasz (Stanko), Kermit Ruffins, Lester and Louis, Sweets, Kenny D. and Lee M....what about Miles and Diz and thier protege' ....and on and on and on....so many to enjoy.

Happy holidays and many thanks to the folks that keep this site up and runnin' and somewhat sane. Thanks to everyone who posts on and responds to and enjoys this great site.

Whatever your beliefs are...man, I hope you all believe in Santa. kpb

[ This Message was edited by: supportlivejazz on 2003-12-24 10:55 ]
nacog
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a nice King Master Cornet in a satin silver finish that is just awesome. I don't understand why they aren't appreciated more than they are. The older ones (mine is 1934) have very nice engraving, are built to last and the sound is terrific. IMHO this horn plays every bit as good as my Olds recording and Super Recording cornets and yet they usually go very cheaply on ebay. Go figure.
jhaysom
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 1941 King Silvertone cornet, which is a variation of the Master model. My Schilke and Bach mouthpieces fit just fine.

(Great horn, which I'm learning to like more and more, the more I play it.)

I used to have a King Master model Bb/C trumpet and it had a strange mouthpiece receiver that I had to have replaced. It was from the 30's or earlier. Maybe King changed their receivers in the 40's.

How old is your Master cornet?
Yamaha 8310ZS trumpet
Yamaha 6310ZS trumpet
Courtois flugel
1941 King Silvertone cornet
1941 King 2B valve trombone
Kanstul 920 piccolo
etc.
supportlivejazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a 1951 model... it seems that the King original mp, marked MC, is slightly shorter and seats perfectly. My Bach mps are about a 16th+ longer and therefore bottom out in the receiver before they can seat snugly in the receiver taper. kpb
Tootsall
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any chance the mouthpiece receiver is just a little bit worn and has "opened up" a tad? That would allow the mouthpiece(s) to bottom out.
_PhilPicc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

supportlivejazz,

The King Master is an excellant cornet and in my opinion should not be just considered a "messin around second horn" The King SilverTone which is a King Master with a sterling silver bell is a great cornet and as far as an American long goes does not have to take a back seat to any long cornet.

As far as the mouthpiece question goes. My first King was a 1956, I have owned 6 others and am currently playing on a 1938 SilverTone for my cornet work.I have never had a mouthpiece problem with any of the fine horns.

I can put in Bach pieces or my current piece, a Flip Oaks Classic, and have no problem. To my knowledge if it is the original reciever there should be no problem.

Enjoy your King,
Regards - Phil

We cannot expect you to be with us all the time, but perhaps you could be good enough to keep in touch now and again."
- Sir Thomas Beecham to a musician during a rehearsal
Gilligan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My LA Ambassador Cornet has the same feature. It uses its own size mouthpiece shank. It's a little larger than the standard cornet mouthpiece. A standard cornet mouthpiece sits about a half inch deeper than the Original Olds 3 that came with the horn. What I have found is that my standard shank trumpet mouthpieces will fit this cornet and only add about a half inch to the horn. When my Shilke 9 mouthpiece is in the cornet I can still tune the horn and have just quarter inch left to pull in if needed. This leads me to believe that the larger cornet mouthpiece reciever was designed to accept both trumpet and cornet mouthpieces and allow the horn still be tunable to A-440. .
supportlivejazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gilligan.... go to Alan Rouse's Olds Central site and it will give you the skinny on the Olds Large Shank cornets. He also has a detailed list of options if you don't own a large shank Olds cornet mp.
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Kevin!

My 1932(3?) King Master cornet's receiver barely accommodates my Reeves mpc.

For me it's a safety feature. I can't jam the mpc in there because it seats just short of the bump in there. It doesn't fall out when you turn it bell up, but there's no play there at all.

I agree with some of the others here that this is no 2nd horn. It's as good a player as any of my other cornets. I wish it had a 3rd valve slide mechanism, though. I had John Lynch put an Olds-Super-style 1st valve slide thumb saddle on it, and it's okay for low D . . . that C# is still a problem because if I pull out far enough to get that in tune, it's hard to get it to go right back in for the next note.

Somewhere on TH I posted 3 or 4 pictures of it . . . it was a thread about the comparison between the Silver Tone and Silver Sonic (or Silver Flair?) a month or so ago.

Rich

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: