• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Writing down practice

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jkramb19
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I write down everything i practice including the metronome speed. Does anyone else do this? I do it so i can see progress and know how fast to take things like clark studies so i dont do them at a fast tempo one day and slow the next.

"The harder you work, the harder it is to surrender." Vince Lombardi
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do this also but mainly just to make sure I do everything I need to since I break my practice times up over two sessions during the day.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
sean007r
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to do it, but...

when I reviewed it and did not see the progress I wanted it made me depressed!

However, now that I have no record I'm depressed because I'm not sure I'm making any progress in my practice sessions!

So which is worse?
(_uIII_o__) |
trjeam
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2002 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use to do that too but just so that I could look back and see what I needed more work on or less work on.

But then I got lazy and stopped.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
nc~trumpet

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do it as well(when i don't forget). I find it very helpful to write down everything about how you played, why you think you did so well or not, and any other relevent information. This is so you if you get into a funk and arent playing as well maybe you can look back and see that you have changed something you should't have.
mcstock
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Haynie suggested keeping a practice plan/log when I studied with him about 10 years ago. Currently, I probably do that about half the time. The advantages are: 1. You know what you'll be working on each day, no time wasted deciding what to work on or how to work on it. I'm in the habit of leaving myself post-it notes on the music I'm working on to make sure I get right to the passages that need to be practiced. 2. Keeping a record of you're practice allows you to recognize slow, steady progress made over a period of time. Big breakthroughs are great when they happen, but the bottom line is that it's that 1% or 2% improvement day, after day, after day that gets the job done.

Byron Stripling talks about using a practice journal in a couple of essays on his website: http://www.byronstripling.com/byronstips.html

Best wishes,
Matt Stock
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2002 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-09-24 13:57 ]
William F. Dishman

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2002 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I write down in on a chart the exercises, range, tempo markings etc. for exercises in my daily routine. In addition to keeping a record and a "hard copy" that indicates technical progress, it also makes me rest for a few seconds just during the time it takes to grab a pencil and jot down the info. It also keeps me aware of weak areas and strong areas for further improvement.

Keeping it in writing also keeps me honest as to what areas I may be neglecting.

Bill Dishman
Gainesville, Florida
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: