• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Goldplated Eclipse Trumpet on eBay

View previous topic :: View next topic  
deedee

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm in the market for a new horn to replace my old Benge and I've been looking at this horn on ebay and it looks very enticing. I know the seller, as he used to live and play in my area, and he's a great player. Just wondering what you people think. I assume that it's a good price? Any of you own or play this brand/model. I've heard alot of good things about the Eclipse trumpets but I've never played one. So, any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated as the auction ends tonight!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3724975301&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

Thanks,
deedee

[ This Message was edited by: deedee on 2004-05-20 16:50 ]
maynard-46
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi deedee!,
Been a while. How are you? You're correct...it's mine! Great horn...great price...was I any help!!! Talked with Pratt last week. It was only the first time since I moved. He told me that you're sounding great! BTW...thanks for the nice compliment! If I ever get back there I'll make sure to stop bye and say hello. Good luck!
TRUMPE: YAMAHA Lacq. "Shew Gen II" / Legends .585 "CatMaster" Top / KT "RT#1" BB / Reeves #4.75 Sleeve.
FLUGELHORN: ADAMS Custom "F1" / Legends .585 "CatMaster" FL.
TrentAustin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That horn on ebay is an absolute STEAL for that price...

I'll sell you my Goldplated Eclipse for about 10K. It's that good.

Feel free to PM with any particular questions you have about the LR.

Best,

Trent
http://www.trentaustin.com
This acct will be deactivated as of March 2021. email info@austincustombass.com
Levermann
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pretty sure the market will evaluate the true price of a horn.
What I do not understand is this :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3722832270&category=16214&sspagename=STRK%3AMESSE%3AIT&rd=1

[ This Message was edited by: Levermann on 2004-05-21 00:05 ]

I will sell you a very nice Besson for 9 K.

[ This Message was edited by: Levermann on 2004-05-21 00:07 ]
Tootsall
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's not to understand? He had it listed, the reserve was not met, it's been relisted. Simple, really.
Levermann
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

High bidder of the first auction ended with 2800 $.
Instead of selling it to the high bidder, he again started an auction with 2800 $ as Buy it now.
This time nobody cared. Not for 2800 $, not for 2750 $.
Now there are several possibilities. SIMPLE ??
Tootsall
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, very simple. First time around he tried to sell it and it wouldn't fly at his reserve price. So he tried to sell privately but it wouldn't move during the intervening week or so. He reduced his BIN price and relisted it. Couldn't get the same price for it; the market "withdrew" from his offering. Should be a lesson to set a "realistic" reserve the first time you list. This happens all the time in Real Estate... the market wonders "what's wrong with it that it didn't sell the first time and he had to drop his price... he must be really desperate or there's something really wrong?" and won't bite a second time.

Still, it's a heck of a great price for a wonderful horn. With exchange rates swinging around the way they are in the last little while I'll bet you'd find that a retail $ on a new one in gold plate is up around $3,800 US AND you'd have to wait three + months for delivery. If I were in the market for a big, open horn with impeccable intonation I'd be jumping at it at that price. But as you can see from the signature line, I'm perfectly happy with the Medium Red in gold plate!
maynard-46
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed,
Since the trumpet we're talking about is my horn let me throw in MY 2 cents worth! IMO my reserve om my first auction was MORE THAN realistic...$1125 off the new price for a 3 week old trumpet!?! You're correct..in didn't fly...the high bidder didn't respond to an after auction offer for his $2800 previous bid...so, yes, I relisted it at a lower price WITHOUT the new Protec case which would probably bring me another $100 at another auction...hence I'm back to with $50 of my first reserve! As you can see I have one shy of 400 positve eBay feedbacks...so I've been there done this a few times. No...I'm not deperate for money but I just can't see a great horn like this one just sitting in a case in my studio. Eventhough it's not suited to me it's probably suited to the majority of players out there. I just require ALOT of resistance in a horn and , as you know, this particular model doesn't fall into that category. Why did I pruchase this model, then? At the time I was looking for a horn with particular "sound" ...and I found it in this horn...I simply don't feel comfortable with the lack of resistance. I think Trent Austin, who plays the same model, can attest to the fact that this horn is on the "open" side. As for the "real estate analogy"...like I said...no, I'm not deperate, as you put it...and...no...there's absolutely NOTHING "wrong" with the horn. I stated that in my ad plus through private emails that I answered. My feedback certainly speaks for itself as far as satisfaction from people that have purchased items from me in the past. In addition to that I'm probably the most honest person you will ever meet. The one thing that I am kind of disappointed in is the apparent lack of resale value that the Eclipse seems to have. I should have thought about that before I purchased it since I do have a tendancy to change horns often. I would imagine that, since Eclipse is rather new to the trumpet industry, not alot of people have heard of it. Was the price too high? Absolutely not. It probably would have sold had I listed it at $4000! Do people not have the money...NOT! A lacquered Equinox just sold for $2800 and a Wild Thing cornet for $2400 and neither of them come close the the new price of my horn. So what's the reason it didn't sell? Who knows. For now it'll remain in a case in my studio. Will I relist it? Probably. Will the price be lower? Absolutely not, probably the opposite. Did I learn anything from these two auctions? Sure...the horn didn't sell...case closed!

Butch
TRUMPE: YAMAHA Lacq. "Shew Gen II" / Legends .585 "CatMaster" Top / KT "RT#1" BB / Reeves #4.75 Sleeve.
camelbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Butch it'll sell. Actually I've had to do some real soul searching over the last 2 days and even sounded the idea out with my wife (what does 'hhmmmppphhh' actually mean?). It would have meant having to sell the beloved Taylor but it is one of the only trumpets out there that would have me even considering it. Quality comes to the surface.

Regards

Trevor
Tootsall
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Butch, I'm sure not taking a shot at you when I described why the relist/no sale was "simple"... just commenting to the effect that there ARE reasons why something sometimes has trouble selling at a lower price "the second time around". I know it's a great price and you know that I know that! I can also read your feedback rating. The point is that, with an auction, it is the MARKET that decides WHEN and FOR HOW MUCH something will sell and that there are oodles of reasons to explain the market behaviour (and sometimes none of the reasons are actually "logical").

I agree with Trevor, the horn WILL sell. For how much is a function of how long you are willing to wait for it to go. If I were you (and obviously I'm not!) I'd wait until after ITG and then advertise it. In fact, I've got an idea that I'll send you privately. I rather suspect that the "buzz" on Eclipse will increase during/after that show and you just might find someone who says "Holy cow... I gotta get me one of those right away".

I sure hope you get a fair price for it. I can only see them increasing in value as folks try to "cut the line" at the sales counter!
maynard-46
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

camellbrass & tootsall,
Thanks alot for your encouraging posts. Like you said I'm sure it will "go" in the future. My Dad use to say "there's a reason for everything...you just have to look alittle deeper to find out what is is somtimes"!!! Bottom line is that it's a great horn and, eventually, someone is going to be ecstatic over how it looks and plays!!

Thanks again,
Butch
P.S. Trevor...contact me off board if you think you might be interested!
jazzsolotrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maynard-46,

I sent you a PM a while ago and haven't recieved a reply. I have some questions about the Eclipse.

Thanks in advance.

-Matt
maynard-46
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Matt,
Sorry...haven't been on the computer due to a recent medical problem. I just sent you an email. Let me know if you're interested or if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Butch
mheffernen5
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks really truly awesome
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: