• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

smoking

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It takes years off your life. It is expensive. It is highly addictive. It stinks. Don't do it. Peace.
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to repost a reply that I gave in a thread in the Fundamentals forum about smoking. Yes, it's your right to smoke, but I would ask you to consider what I have to say. Stop before it's too late. Looking down at my grandfather, lying in a hospital bed gasping for air, is an image that will be burned into my mind until my dying day. For once, consider those who love you before you consider yourself.
--------------

My grandfather passed away on the Friday before Easter of this year from breathing complications brought on by years of smoking. He had asthma all of his life. He quit smoking in the late 1970's, but the damage was already done. When he died at the age of 74, only 1/2-1/3 of ONE lung was functioning. This, combined with the asthma and emphysema that had developed made it impossible for him to do anything. I saw a man that had taught me everything - from how to do a find a word puzzle, to how to cut grass, to how to use a skil saw - a man that was strong and outgoing, whither away into a person that couldn't walk from one room to another without losing his breath. His oxygen machine became a form of bondage. He couldn't even go out to his garage to keep himself busy. Both of his parents lived into their mid-90's before being taken by Alzheimer's. At 74, my grandfather was taken far too soon.

If you smoke, I would encourage you to get rid of your present bondage before you become bound to something much, much worse - you can't go far when the oxygen hose is holding you back.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People who smoke are more than 25 times more likely to get lung cancer.

90% of people who get lung cancer die from it.

They die a horrible excruciating death.

People who have died a horrible excruciating death generally do not play trumpet very well.

I hope I've made my point.

Sincerely,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think everyone has made valid points. I'm glad I don't smoke. Peace.
Forte
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I like smokers; they help pay my taxes .

Thanks,
Robert
MisterE
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there. Smoking and trumpet playing. Good question. I have smoked on and off for virtually my entire professional career. I stopped for a period of 2 years at one point and have to admit I felt quite good, although I went up quite a few pounds. I would say that playing-wise I didn't notice a great difference. My motivation for quitting was to play better and I found the diference to be nominal. The accrued tension from the stress of not smoking actually was quite detrimental to my playing for a bit, and as we all know, this can be as destructive as poor breathing habits! So take your pick!! I still smoke, I still play professionally, and it's always in the front of my mind: "Gee, I gotta cut this s--t out soon!" There are so many prominent players and teachers who smoked during their playing careers: Herseth, Adelstein, Vacchiano, Schlueter, Cichowicz, to name a few, that I don't believe it in itself is an impediment to a great career. One has to make their own decisions regarding smoking. If you haven't started, don't: You'll just smell bad. If you do, try to quit, but not with the expectation you'll become a monster trumpeter. You'll be dissapointed. Do it for health reasons. Cheers!!
hazmat
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, in Massachusetts it is now illegal to smoke in the workplace (unless it is an over 18 restaurant/bar or completely outdoor environment). Being a non-smoker, I am happy about this. I work in a paper mill where almost everyone smokes and I can say that yes I am used to it, but do I like it any more because of that, no. So I get to save my lungs some more.

I play better when people around me aren't smoking or haven't been smoking recently.

BAC Trumpet 2002
Hartt School of Music

Bb Bach Stradivarius 180 S 37
C Bach Stradivarius 229 S 25R Sterling Bell

[ This Message was edited by: hazmat on 2004-07-03 16:54 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: