• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

A Non-American CSO Principal

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Chicago School
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In reference to foreigners working in European Countries, it is absolutely possible to. When I came here, it was the musical "Cats" in Hamburg that secured a working permit for me (an American). It's way easier for a person to move to a European country and work than for a non-US citisen to move to the United States and do the same.

In reference to getting invited to Audition over here: In Germany "people over 35 need not apply." Age descrimination is not only practiced here, it's part of the program. With few exceptions, anyone over 35 years old cannot get invited to a German Orchestral Audition. I was able to get invited to the Radio Symphony Berlin audition several years ago, but no one was ultimately hired to fill the position of Solo (Principal) Trumpet as they already had one (the orchestras here often have two players for each brass position) and budget cutbacks are happening here so they're "getting by" with just one Principal Trumpet (a very good player I might add). Most audition notices in Germany even state that you must be 35 or younger.

And that's why I'm moving back to the States (among other reasons).

Sincerely,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
john32

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John

florian dorpholz was hired 2 years ago. there is also a new position in that orchestra for wechsel trumpet. so rsb is expanding!
Trptbenge
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CSO is looking for the best player to be principal trumpet. I don't think that it matters if he is born in the USA or from a foreign country. I don't think it makes a difference where he is from as long as he can do the job. It will be a tough job to handle - especially with Bud still hanging around. May the best person get the job -period!

Mike

It's the sound that makes the difference!

[ This Message was edited by: Trptbenge on 2004-07-07 06:21 ]
john32

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

surely marco or balazs are good enough for the job. maybe its a question that both of them dont really want to leave their respective orchestras.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Chicago School All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: