• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Lead Pipe Pitches?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Halfnote

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it me? - I've recently started the lead pipe buzzing and I'm finding that a more natural fundamental pitch for me to get is a concert D as opposed to the usually prescribed concert Eb. Also, if I push the air to the higher overtones the next pitch up is more comfortable on the octave as opposed to the 9th above. Is there something not right with my embouchure set up? Air Support? Is it my equipment - I play an old Schilke B6 and Bach 3C and 1 1/2C pieces? Same result on both mouthpieces. The pitches I do get are full and centered. I can "Lip-up" to the higher pitches but they become thin and ambiguous. I'm not super familiar with the whole Adam approach - taken a few lessons from a student of a student of a student of Adam, and gathered what a I can from this forum and other internet sights. In general, my playing and sound has increased ten-fold since I was first introduced to his methods - wish I had learned earlier! I was just wondering if the pitches I'm getting on the lead pipe were indicative of other, more fundamental issues. Peace and many thanks, Halfnote.
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The difference in equipment (Schilke) sometimes makes a difference in the pitch of the leadpipe. However, I would like to see how it works if you play the Eb for a few days, even if it sounds slightly less rich or feels less natural.

I would like to see what happens if you try to move the air through the pipe with slightly more energy. Feel like you are blowing right down the middle of the pipe and imagine that the point where the air turns into sound is right in front of your face. You might notice a little more firmness in the facial muscles around the mouthpiece. Observe this change as it occurs. Don't try to make it happen by consciously manipulating the embouchure.

Playing other notes on the lead pipe above the Eb should be reserved for later in your development. Even many of the professionals who are Adam students never play anything on the lead pipe above the Eb.
Halfnote

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Harbison -
Thanks for the tips. I'll give the Eb a go and see what happens. Until then, peace and respect - Halfnote.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Bill Adam All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: