• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Teaching Basic Theory to Kids in an Hour

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ska lax god

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please please please please please help me out here. For a grange camp I have to teach basic theory to young kids (9 to 12) who have little to no musical experience. The sticky wicket is that the people running the camp will only give me an hour to teach theory and a song to perform on the last day. The song will be percussive, but the kids still need to know how to read music, time, etc. How can I explain this in a way that won't get over-complicated? Today is the 8th, and I have to do this on the 12th. Can I get some assistence?
Bozzaman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start with DO RE MI FA SOL LA TI DO and put it on a staff. No more than a one-octave scale idea. Then discuss time, measures, notes, and their values (no more involved than eighth-notes). You'll have plenty of time to teach the raw fundamentals of music reading and song production.

However, good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: