• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Open trumpet method book?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
saltpot
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just like to share an idea that I've had for some time:

Open source software has been out for a long time. So I though why not do it with a trumpet method book!!!

I.e. Players will write articles/exercises etc that they would like to share (for free). Then other players can cast votes, make comments on it, send mp3s, correct grammer etc... until we have a perfected article, with differing opinions so people make there own minds up.

The book will then be freely available to be downloaded with mp3 examples etc, and published by anyone for no profit, or a charitable profit.

I see this projected book as being the LINUX of the trumpet community....

I could write all the software etc... And also get support from my university.

Any thoughts!!!

Cheers

Jody
oj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jody,

In 1998 - 1999, Rune and I (as editors) did part of what you suggest. We made CTG, "The Comeback Trumpeters Guide". If you look at the website, you will see that many people contributed. Pops even wrote a whole chapter.

http://abel.hive.no/ctg/

The hard part for you (as an editor) would be to get a concensus on what is a good working method. Just look at TH, some of the teaching methods that have a forum don't go well together.

I know Linux quite well. Linus Thorvalds wrote the kernel part (in 1991). When it worked he posted it on the net. Then he had already taken the most important decision (making it a monolitic kernel and not a mikrokernel) for the later developments.

Somethink like that must perhaps happen with the OTM, "Open Trumpet Method". Someone must write the "kernel" (or basic philosophy) of the method first.

Ole
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: