• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Jazz Turns and Florida All-State Jazz

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blasticore
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And just to clear up something Trjeam said, FSYOBugle = Blasticore = me. I have too many screen names.
hokeypokey

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I HAVE to play the audition in a specific way. Sure it can have style, but I've seen some of the lamest .....make this band, and it makes me sick.

--------------------
Edit by Moderator: You are free to make your point, but refrain from obscenity or racial slur! You will loose your posting privileges if you won't show some tact.

[ This Message was edited by: Moderators on 2004-07-30 01:11 ]
trumpetherald
System Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-07-29 17:34, blasticore wrote:
And just to clear up something Trjeam said, FSYOBugle = Blasticore = me. I have too many screen names.

Errmm, not a good idea. We'd appreciate it if you stuck to one screen name. See the usage agreement.

TD
blasticore
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-07-29 18:33, trumpetherald wrote:
Quote:

On 2004-07-29 17:34, blasticore wrote:

Errmm, not a good idea. We'd appreciate it if you stuck to one screen name. See the usage agreement.

TD

Um, little misinterpretation actually. I just used the term "screen names" as a generic term for logins I use in various places. "FSYOBugle" is part of my AIM name, as "blasticore" is part of, and...well, all of my TH name. Rather than going too far in depth about it in that post, I was just a little lazy explaining it. I suppose I could've been a bit clearer, huh?
if you check out my user info here on TH, you'll see what I'm talking about. To my knowledge, a TH login resembling my AIM screen name does not exist, and if it does, it's probably not me. Sorry for the small mixup.

I have for sale:
Courtois Prestige 311 Bb trumpet. Search "courtois" in the marketplace and it'll show up, & see http://www.blasticore.i8.com/hornsale.htm MAKE ME AN OFFER!

[ This Message was edited by: blasticore on 2004-07-29 20:20 ]
blasticore
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-07-29 17:54, hokeypokey wrote:
Actually, I HAVE to play the audition in a specific way. Sure it can have style, but I've seen some of the lamest .....make this band, and it makes me sick.

I may just be kicking a sleeping pitbull of a topic, but...
If you're that confident in your abilities as to say that about others', why are you asking for help? If they made it and you're in the position to call them lame, you shouldn't have a problem with the audition.
Jazz seriously isn't about playing something one way though. If we all did that, we'd all sound like a midi files (and even those skip and end up sounding different every time on slower systems, like mine). Even legit players have different sounds and styles. If it so pleases you though, play the turn as something out of baroque literature. That'd be about the only way to ensure it'd sound totally uniform, as it appears you're striving for.
BrassGringo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow.........that's all i got. I haven't checked this thread since yesterday.....looks like i missed quite a bit. Racial slurs huh? It's just an all state audition. I'm almost sure the panel is not looking for people who all play the same. I went to school in Florida for a while and knew alot of people who were in all state. They simply would not play it if they were asked to play it lame like that.

[ This Message was edited by: BrassGringo on 2004-07-29 21:38 ]
baghdadbob

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The all-state bands are nowhere, they are like snake

[ This Message was edited by: baghdadbob on 2004-07-29 22:46 ]
blasticore
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-07-29 22:44, baghdadbob wrote:

The all-state bands are nowhere, they are like snake

<font size=-2>[ This Message was edited by: baghdadbob on 2004-07-29 22:46 ]</font>

...What?
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an interesting paradox in jazz playing.

When you are soloing or leading a band then it is all about your own musical personality, shaped somewhat by your interaction in musical conversation with the other group members.

However, if you are playing in a big band section or in a small group led by another there is a fine and line to tread where you bring your own personality to the band and yet you must sublimate that personality and adapt it to the overall good of the ensemble. Therefore, in a big band I play in a way that matches the lead trumpet player and follows the section and general sound of the band. When I solo it is going wherever I ( and the rhythm section) decide it is going. This can be a tough mental shift and the hardest thing I had to learn about playing in an ensemble. It took me 30 years to learn to make that shift in an acceptable professional manner. Sometimes I still struggle.

Even the lead trumpet must adapt to the musical imperatives of the chart (the arranger's vision) and the playing of the rest of the band (especially the drummer and lead trombone and alto).

In an audition for an ensemble it is important to put life and personality in the pieces without violating the range of acceptable and traditional performance practices. Anything too exptremely "personal" wouldn't work in the context for which you are auditioning.

Nothing sounds worse than an entire section of individualist jazz soloists each going their own way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: