• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Loyola University New Orleans - Artist in residence

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Derek

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this next year is my senior year and I'm starting to become more serious about which college I want to attend. Recently I was told by a bass player to look at schools where your favorite artists teach at, and that many jazz musicians out there performing do teach part time at universities. I hadn't previously thought about looking at schools based on that idea, but I figured i'd give it a shot. I ended up finding my way to Loyola university of New Orleans where Nicholas Payton is currently teaching as an artist-in-residence. Since I have planned on keeping jazz as my primary focus (however continuing classical trumpet studies) I have developed a strong passion for the music and all the jazz greats in the past, as well as young lions such as Nick. Studying underneath one of my favorite artists seems like a great opportunity, however I'm not too sure how the whole concept of artist-in-residence works, and how much individual study time i would get with Nick. So any information in regard to this form of teaching, or about the music program at Loyola University of New Orleans in general would help me greatly in narrowing down my choices for schools. Thanks for taking the time to read/respond.
cjdjazztpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me tell you.... I too admire Nicholas Payton's playing and since he is from here in New Orleans I have heard him live dozens of times....When I attended the University Of New Orleans, I actually got a chance or two to blow with him.
Artist-In-Residence means when he is not touring he spends some time at Loyola. He tours constantly so I doubt that you'd get much time with him.
Terence Blanchard was the Jazz Chair at the University Of New Orleans when I was there and he was there for maybe 4 weeks out of the semester. From what I hear, most of his Advanced Improv class got incompletes for their grade because he was never there. Ultimately the University pushed him out and he left. So I would call the Jazz Studies office at Loyola to see how much time he actually spends there. Loyola is a very expensive school and I'd hate to see you come here to New Orleans and not get what you are paying for.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: