• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Boston/Cambridge?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
big al

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey everyone
I'm moving to Boston from the UK in 2 weeks, can anyone fill me in on the hip and happening clubs/jam sessions? I've heard talk of Ryles, Wallys and the Regatta bar but thats about it. I know no-one (0) in Boston! All responses much appreciated.
pfrank
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WELCOME AL! Hope you find the NEW England climate to your liking. (It's hotter AND colder than anything in temperate, Gulf Streem warmed GB) Fall is the best. There's a huge variety of people here, and too many cars. But you can reach the boonies (wilderness) or the beach in minutes. Osman Music is here. It's a nice place to live.

What kind of music are you into?

For improvisational music (some call jazz) the best resource lately has been the Zeitgeist Gallery in Inman Squ., Cambridge. Allot of the NE Conservatory project groups perform there. It's a great sounding room too. I believe there is an after hours jam there...wednesday night/thursday early morning...which I can't do, but I do attend them when weekend acts cancel... The building is co-owned by a jazz piano player, and they actually have a Hammond w/ Leslie!
The other places you mention, with the exception of Wallies, are Very expensive upscale venues. Order the shateau brion with a fine vintage shampanya...budget around 100 bucks...kidding...not...

There are a few trumpetplayers doing their thing in semi-mersh eclectic groups... the Either Orchestra and Fully Celebrated Orchestra (this is Boston, so bands are orchestras, apparently) are a couple of local high points in jazz. The Avant guarde has it's efforts too. Mass College of Art and some churches in Cambridge hold regular out-there performences.
Gimme your e-mail and I'll send you a line!

[ This Message was edited by: pfrank on 2004-07-30 11:25 ]
nowave
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the Willow still around? I used to get blown away on a regular basis by the Fringe there...

The lowest of the low-budget rooms, with a loud jukebox next door that would intrude on soft passages -- but some of the best music I've ever heard, and for $3!
pfrank
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drove someone home last week and passed through Somervilles' Mulligan squ. ...I looked...no Willow anymore. I used to walk there from my apt. in Teal Squ., the good-ole days... Dead Cat Bounce is playing Ryles this weekend, and Arturo and Maynard played there this year, but mostly it's an upscale barbecue eatery now.

BTW, Boston has the Best jazz radio in the universe (except New York city).
SPITTY
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Big Al,

Don't miss Los Hombres Calientes at Scullers on August 18 & 19 - their trumpet player and co-leader Irvin Mayfield is killin.

Cheers,
Spitty
dales
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a local player, Taylor Ho Bynum, who I haven't heard much of -- but from what I have heard, he's awesome.
Jason Palmer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Al,

I play at Wally's cafe on Fridays, Saturdays, and I host a jam session there on Sunday afternoons. Feel free to come down a play if you'd like. I have a link to some of the stuff that we play there. Feel free to take a listen at http://www.soundclick.com/bands/5/jasonpalmergroupmusic.htm

Good luck,
J.P.
big al

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your responses people.
Looking forward to checking things out! Went to Wally's when I was over for my job interview, nice. Either I'm going to have to get used to smoking outside or give it up though.
Jason Palmer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All workplaces in Mass are now smoke-free. New law. Thank God.
big al

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I smoke, but no-smoking legislation in the US, Ireland (and maybe the UK shortly) is certainly a good thing.

You may or may not be aware of the UK jazz trumpeter/TV presenter Roy Castle, who despite being a non-smoker died of throat cancer, which may have been the result of passive smoking over his career. Scary stuff.
Al
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: