• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Best and most versatile

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PéturH

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you give me directions about what is the best and !most versatile! trumpet.

I´ve been thinking about Schilke, Kanstul, Conn and maybe Yamaha, (not Bach due to the reason I think it is much too of a fashion instrument and is also somewhat inconsistant).

It would be very good if someone would also tell me the difference between the models in the Kanstul signature series, because Kanstul seem to have many trumpets in the same quality range while the other makes have fewer models to consider (so it's easier to chose which Schilke, Conn or Yamaha to chose if I would chose one of those makes), if you get what I mean. :s

Thanks beforehand.
Pétur
camelbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think choice within any of the brands you listed is easy.

If you look at the Kanstul web site and look at the bell/lead pipe options that the model has then you will notice that all the signature models have well know and understood benchmarks. Some of those benchmarks are Calicchioish some are Bachish some are Bengish..descriptions include 72 bells and 25 lead pipes that sort of thing.

Schilke has a blinding array of models all, in my experience, very different. The only common denominator is that they are mostly shiny and silver with great valves!!

Even the Conn V1 has a staggering number of possible combinations of bell materials/lead pipe combinations..all different.

Don't get me started on Yamaha.

Hope this helps. (Probably not)

Regards,

Trevor
Tootsall
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter, at a certain point in your search for a trumpet you are going to come to one unescapable fact: either you are going to have to buy "without testing" or you are going to have to actually get your hands on some different models and test them out. I was fortunate to be able to test four different models of Schilke on the same day and with the same mouthpieces "side by side" when I picked my B1. I suppose you might be able to get to a shop that actually has some inventory of different models... but remember that "one man's meat is another's poison". In other words, what suits me probably won't suit you.

You sound like you are in a position where you might be able to test "some" trumpets, but perhaps not as many of the ones that you think you'd really like to try. For what it's worth, Kanstul are making great horns. Schilke... well, we've gone over that. The Conn V1 is probably more of a "production line" horn but is getting really good reviews of it's quality and playing characteristics "for the price". There are others. I guess you have to decide what your budget will allow and then either "test, test, and test some more (keeping notes!)" OR just go ahead and "blindly pull the trigger" and place an order. I don't think anybody can tell you what YOU should be buying for yourself.

I'd recommend you take each of the models you think you are interested in and enter that name in the TH search engine and see what others have already said about them. Then it's up to you.

And... good luck! I was in your shoes when I went hunting for a new horn. Lucky I found a place only a 5 hour drive (each way) from me that was getting the Schilkes into stock! Hope you get as lucky.
BrassGringo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though it's been said many times in many ways........which ever horn works best for you.
nextbrassguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Six months ago, I was roughly where you are now, thinking about which brands to try out before I settled on a professional level horn. Like you, I had basically ruled out Bach based on the assumption that "they're inconsistent and everyone else plays them". I tried several Getzens, several V1's, several Stomvis, a King Legend, a Selmer Concept TT, a Holton MF, a ZeuS, perhaps a few other brands, and (reluctantly) several Bachs. I surprised myself and ended up choosing a Bach 72/25LR hands down, even though I had to be talked into even trying one! It was a close call between the Strad and the Concept TT, which is a great horn, but nothing else I tried even came close to what I wanted.
I say this not try to sell you on a Strad, but to urge you to try everything you can and then, after trying everything with an open mind, get what works best for you (even if it's something you think you've ruled out already!)

[ This Message was edited by: nextbrassguy on 2004-08-02 00:46 ]
BrassGringo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear it. I really get tired of people bashing Bachs because everyone plays them. There is probably a reason that everyone plays them. Please don't rule out Bachs. If nothing else it will be easy to get spare parts if (god forbid) it would ever break, seeing as just EVERYONE plays them.
cookiemonster
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just get a Bach 37 and get a Reeves valve alignment. If you can't sound good all around on that horn, then you just need to practice. SO what if everyone else plays on one. That's because they're good horns.
Tom LeCompte
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If someone told you they were going to buy a Bach because everyone else had one, you'd think they were crazy, right? Well, that's not much different than deciding not to buy a Bach because everyone else has one. As far as inconsistencies, all that matters is the horn you buy. Who cares how good or bad the horn you aren't playing is?
DCB1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get a good Bach they are great. Don't buy based on what people say or who made the horn... get what "you" play well on! You should try a *72/25 LR... I here they really sing up high.
Curry
Bach
Selmer Radial
Kanstul
Holton
Amati
Conn
improver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do yourself a favor get a standard Bach #37 and youll automatically sound 100% better.look what it did for Wynton.
_Ford850
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well there must be an echo in here but.............what ever works best for you. I happen to like my CG Benge, Getzen Renaissance and all my Calicchios but no two people approach the trumpet in exactly the same way because of physical characteristics, mental expectations, mouthpiece choice, gap and ??? So what all this means is...what ever works best for you.
Getzen Renaissance
Conn V One C
Getzen 3850S cornet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: