• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

New guy...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kenwatters
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey folks (especially Washington, DC area folks)!

Y'all know that I don't post very often, unless I REALLY feel strongly about a subject, a player, whatever...

Well, while playing at the W.C. Handy Jazz Festival in Muscle Shoals / Florence, Alabama this past week, I heard a guy who absolutely BLEW THE ROOF OFF. He was there for a few gigs with a GREAT band called the Afrobop Alliance.
His name is TIM STANLEY -- DC-based folks (in particular) need to check this guy out.
He sounds like he's been studying Clifford all of his life, but also has a VERY modern & most importantly, UNIQUE harmonic approach to "standard" standards (show tunes & such...). Flawlessly executes absolutely everything that he goes for, and he's going for some HIP ****...

He could be the next envelope-pusher, folks -- a'la Hagans, Douglas, Stafford etc...
Check him out -- this guy's a bad-ass.
Plus, he knows tunes!

-K
boofredlay
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Ken, good to hear from you.

Man I wish I could have been at the Handy festival but I was playing in a show the past two weeks at Bob Jones. We ended this past weekend.
Mike Gimenez wrote a show called The Chorus Linebackers. Billy Bargetzi was musical director and another TH'er was involved with us as well.

Anyway, I hope you are doing well.
https://www.coroflot.com/boofredlay
kenwatters
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric!

GREAT to hear from you & sorry I missed you, man! Tell Billy I said hi (TH folks need to know about THIS dude as well, even if he's a trombone player) -- and let me know when you'll be in the NYC area -- we'll hang.
Seriously -- you should've heard this guy... It's like he was actually PLAYING what the rest of us THINK we can play when the horn isn't around & we're just running our fingers to ourselves... (not sure that came out quite right...) Y'all know damn well what I mean, though...
Talk with ya!
-Ken
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: