• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

New York Philharmonic at Ravinia.........

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
romey1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last night The New York Philharmonic played at Ravinia.

Program:

Mendelssohn: The Hebrides ("Fingal's Cave"), Op. 26
Debussy: "Nuages" and "Fetes" from Nocturnes
Mendelssohn: Violin Concerto in E Minor, Op. 64
Strauss: Also sprach Zarathustra, Op. 30

What a cohesive brass section!!!!!!!

Great concert - Phil Smith brought his "A-Game" as usual!

romey
Lawler Bb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it was a great concert. Phil Smith was excellent (how about those octave Cs!!), as was Alan Baer, the new prinicpal tuba. I am glad that I had the opportunity to see the orchestra. I am also glad it didn't rain any more than it did!
Tal Katz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did he do all the Cs octaves ? (Wish I could hear and see that )
josephus07
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you notice that their string section plays like 1/2 or 2/3 as loud as the CSO strings? Helps the brass stick out a lot more...
BDH77

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, other than a strong brass section, the NY Phil is inferior to the CSO and numerous other world-class orchestras. The winds and strings just don't play very expressively or with enough tonal depth.
_Clarino
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-07-22 17:59, josephus07 wrote:
Did you notice that their string section plays like 1/2 or 2/3 as loud as the CSO strings? Helps the brass stick out a lot more...

So that's what? 1/4 the power of the LSO?
Lawler Bb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, to answer some questions, I found that the NY Phil strings yes, did play somewhat softer than the strings of the CSO. The brass, however, did not stick out because of this. The brass sounded wonderful but never really raised the roof or anything. The blend of the trumpets and low brass was great, but I didn't find anyone in the brass playing in the "red zone", i.e. playing with some "burn" on the sound. Maybe it was my seat (center, back), but I doubt it. It did not sound like the guest principal trumpet (WOW!) I heard play Mahler No. 9 and Sibelius No. 2 this summer with Jay Friedman and Charles Vernon. These men were frightening in some sections to say the least. I could feel a direct sound connection at all times from the principal trumpet to me standing in the back at the CSO concerts.

Now, I am not saying I expected the NY Phil to sound like Chicago. I didn't at all. This was my first live experience with the NY Phil and I really enjoyed the performance. It was excellent. My hat is off to Philip Smith, Joe Alessi, Alan Baer, and the whole brass section for that matter. They make a wonderful sound.

Last, who am I to make comments about either of these two great orchestras? I have the upmost respect for both groups, and it was a priveledge attending the performances. I look forward to more.

Just my very humble two cents.
josephus07
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have to respectfully disagree. I was sitting in the back left, and Phil Smith definately had some major resonance and sizzle going in his sound on Zarathustra. Not as much on the high C at the end of the opening, but the rest of the piece sounded fantastic. From where I was sitting, the horns DEFINATELY stuck out, though my comment about the brass wasn't meant to be negative, I was just commenting that they had more presence because the strings were quieter. Of course, people can definately hear things differently, so I'm just glad we both got to experience it, eh? Take care.
Lawler Bb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, no sweat. I am glad to hear that I didn't have ideal seats. Phil did sound fantastic where I was, but I wasn't in the direct line of fire either. I love his sound, the soft playing was equally impressive to the loud and high stuff. Yeah, I did forget to mention that I noticed the horns were rather loud at times where I was located. Again, I am very glad I attended the concert.
josephus07
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They really do sound different than the CSO, eh? Not necessarily better or worse, just...different!
PC
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Personally, I am very happy to learn that 2 world class orchestras such as NY and CSO still can sound definitely distinct. One might like better one or the other or both, to that matter, but it would have been a pitty to have everyone sound machine-like similar.

If not, what would be the point og going to hear orchestras on tour??

Sincerely,
Pierre.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: