• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Wynton or Branford Marsalis?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stukvalve
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2002 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey guys ...
why dont you tell me whose jazz you like better ...
wynton or branford? and then say why ... name a few records if you want!

i love wynton .. the guy swings. but i like branford better because in my opinion he plays with better groups ... ones that include (or used to) kenny kirkland. my favorite branford cd is random abstract ... because kenny kirkland is killin'. i think wynton played better with his older groups like in the black codes day ..

[ This Message was edited by: stukvalve on 2002-12-25 22:44 ]
boofredlay
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I actually like the sound of a great saxaphone player, and I do mean great, better than trumpet. In that regard, I like Branford better. However the fact that Wynton has an incredible classical sound and technique as well as great jazz chops, I am leaning toward Wynton as far as the Marsalis brothers go.
I would love to see them get in the ring and duke it out. Of course they would have to wear lip and finger protection, so it would be a weird sort of event.

I cought Wynton recently in the Huntsville, Alabama area. He was supposed to play at the Botanical Gardens but there was a massive storm that day so they moved it to the VBC. His band did a great show, and he was sick to boot. At the show, during on of his New Orleans style songs (forgive me for not knowing the title), the audience got out of their seats and started dancing. It all started with one guy with an umbrella just cutting a rug like there was no tomorrow.
After the song was over, Wynton commented that in all his years of performing, that was the first time that has happened. (I would imagine he meant in doors)

Eric

[ This Message was edited by: boofredlay on 2003-01-03 08:36 ]
mustbflat
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2002 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm (obviously) partial to trumpet players but I like the sound of a good sax. John Coltrane's my favorite.

I had an opportunity to see Branford live back in 2001 (just before Sept. 11 actually). One of the bands that performed earlier was the Yellowjackets with Bob Mintzer. As good as Branford is, I think Bob Mintzer is better. He just doesn't come from a musical family like the Marsalis family.

I like Wynton too, but he's not my favorite jazz player. I would (personally) put Faddis, Arturo, Miles, Dizzy way ahead of him, despite his accomplishments and his large discography.

Just my opinion though! No need to flame!
ZeroMan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2002 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both. Both are fabulous musicians. However, I take serious issue with Wynton's conservative and reactionary approach to jazz. Branford has a more open mind when it comes to jazz; he toured and recorded with Diz, Miles, and Sting, jammed with Sonny Rollins both in concert and on a recording, and has even done some instrumental R&B under a pseudonym (Buckshot LeFonque). Wynton is literally stodgy in comparison.

But I owe a lot to my knowlege of jazz to the trumpet player of the two. Wynton's tone still brings tears to my eyes... his playing can be so perfect at times. Occasionally that is a problem, but he is a great trumpeter and musician no matter how one slices it. I just enjoy Branford's approach to the art of jazz a bit more than I enjoy Wynton's.

[ This Message was edited by: ZeroMan on 2002-12-29 01:36 ]

[ This Message was edited by: ZeroMan on 2002-12-29 01:37 ]
MT VERNON BACH

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who knew a sax player would be so popular on a brass forum?

As far as jazz goes, I like Branford better. I love Wynton's playing (and tone!) but he's too "in the box." Wynton generally stays closer to the past, embracing the classics, while Branford expands to give a future to jazz...something we haven't heard before.

That being said, I'm still a trumpet player, and listen to far more Wynton (classical and jazz) than Branford. If I had a choice between free tickets to either a Wynton or Branford show...I'd still have to pick Wynton.
Boy meets Horn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just looking through some old posts and i thought i just might make a reply on this one.

I really like Branford Marsalis, and i rreeeaaaallly like Wynton's playing. But thats just about it, i think it is almost like comparing apples and oranges. They have 2 completely different voices.

As far as Wynton's conservative approach on jazz, i feel as if it is misunderstood. I dont really think he has any problem with taking jazz forward and being innovative. I think he has a strong belief that in order to take jazz forward, you need to have your feet firmly planted in the roots of jazz, while having your arms reach for the stars, if that makes sense.

-Wynton Marsalis
BrassGringo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree wynton's earliest albums were my favorite of his. Black Codes, Standard time 1, His first ablum, Live at Blues alley. But it seems to me that Branford has kept the innovating going. Not to say that Wynton is not doing important work. I'd just like to see jazz as more of a popular music than a museum piece like it is starting to become.
ZionTrumpeter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Wynton for the most part because he is a Traditional Horn player.....

Branford is an excellent musician more probably because he was born to be.....Wynton because he had such strong work ethic.....

Brandford plays soft stuff and he also played with Miles Davis in his wacked out years that kind of discouraged me from listening to him, I'm not a fan of Miles of the 70's or 80's....
Riggs

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Branford's 'Requiem' is one of my favorite albums of all time. It's not the sax, it's how he uses it. I have transcribed many of his solos for the trumpet. I've learned some great licks from him.
wiseone2
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy and Micheal Brecker?
Cannonball and Nat Adderley?
Illinois and Russell Jacquet?
Wayne and Alan Shorter?

Wilmer
cookiemonster
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Branford
He is straight up honest about everything, and does not pretend to like stuff he doesn't . He even busted on Jay Leno, not in the Kevin Eubanks way, but for real when he thought his jokes were simply not funny. Oh yeah, and he is a true improviser who can play Crazy out, then play Clarinet on a Sting Record, then Play a ballad like Coleman Hawkins. A true bad ass.
cookiemonster
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and he's also rich yet didn't get fat like Wynton.
elbobogrande
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wynton is by far a better trumpet player than Branford.
John
improver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

both great musicians unfortunately elitest attiudes there both the king of there own prom
Ryan184
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the Marsalis Family cd that they both play on. My favorite cut would have to be Struttin' with some bbq. I think they both sound really good on this album, but as far as straight ahead jazz goes, Brandofrd takes it.
Jason Palmer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Takes what?
ZionTrumpeter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't like branford marsalis
roynj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find Wynton's approach to jazz improvization to be terribly calculated and uninteresting. His tone and technique on the horn are great, first rate, but his style on jazz solos is boring. Branford, on the other hand, is a bit more musically interesting in his jazz improv. That being said, I don't particularly like his playing. To my ears Dexter Gordon or Stan Getz are much more sympatico jazz sax players.
Horatio Hornblower
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard that scientists in Germany have sucessfully cloned the genes of two jazz musicians, and the result is Brynton Marsalis.....A multi instrumentalist with strong opinions about Jazz music, but who will tour with Sting once inbetween running a large non profit art's institution.He also manages to play trumpet with a saxophone mouthpiece.(As did Rashaan Roland Kirk!).. His new quartet is called Buckshot La'JMood.
cookiemonster
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Horatio,
I heard they were doing the same this as "Brynton" with Mike Tyson and Michael Jackson. No word as of yet how it worked out, but I have been coming home before the street lights come on ever since I heard about that one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: