• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bach Omega

View previous topic :: View next topic  
neevakee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this trumpet issue has been addressed before, but here is my situtaion. I'm going off to college next year and that will be a lot of money, since im looking at privat schools. My trumpet teacher who is a very well respected teacher and condutor feels that I should give the omega a seriou look at, becaus it is $800 lees then a new strad. I would like to buy new, becasue with a used trumpet, unless you play it you don't get a feel for it. I have the money both wasy it is just that Im not going in to music and it would be seconadry in College. due you guys think i would be crazy for buying th omega over a strad. Also my school teacher said that ultiamtley I will want a strad so I should go ahead and buy it anyway. All replies are welcome and please post soon as im going to look at the trumpets tomorrow.
mheffernen5
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know...Bach Omega is a nice one but what do you have now?
fuzzyjon79
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can probably get a good used Bach Stradivarius for around $650-$700 on Ebay if you look hard enough. I think it would be a better value than a Bach Omega. Make sure if you purchase on Ebay that you can return the horn if you don't like it.
pitchb

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one that I played through middle school and the first two-and-a-half years of HS. It's an okay horn-- I bought a 1970 strad for $700 a year and-a-half ago (it's a gem, raw brass-- plays like a dream). The omega may limit you a little bit, but it's still got the bach pedigree (if you buy into that sort of thing). If you are interested, I'm willing to part with mine. It's used, but in pretty good condition. e-mail me if you are interested.
neevakee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well all i can say s thanks a lot fo the replies, right now im playing on a blessing xlt. So I can't go down hill from where I am now. As i said with the used strad I know how much they are on ebay, but I would like to have this horn from its infancy. Also the money isn't a problem, it just is the fact that im paying twice as musch. My trumpet teacher put it this way with the omega you are buying the cadillac, but with the strad you are buying the mercedes.
Tl2uMp3t_Er
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is better to try the trumpets out, and if you go to WWBW, you can buy strad cheap.
Some strads sounds amazing but most of them don't. Those strads which sound great are worth twice the price of Omega. Omega isn 't really easy to find these days, since more strads are produced.

I think it is better to get strads that sound better than Omegas. If you can't find any strads that sound so good, then you should stick with Omegas. But with paying a bit of money, and strads are worth it.

Horns:
V. Bach Stradivarious 180s-37
Mouthpieces:
Bach 3C
Bach 7C
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It shouldn't be that hard to find a used Strad. Lots of high school players have them and they'll never be played again after they graduate. I'm sure one would be willing to part with it.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
SHS_Trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played an Omega for about three years on and off, including marching band. YOU DON"T WANT AN OMEGA! They try to say it's VERY CLOSE to a strad, but it's not. I've played at least a hundred strads and never found one that was half as bad as an omega. A new omega runs for how much now, about a grand? Even if it's a tad bit less, if you are somewhat serious as a musician, and have any thriftyness in you, buy a good pro horn. If you just want a shiny one buy a used one and have it relacquered or Silverplated. One of the best Bach's I've ever played was a horrible looking 1968-1969 Elkhart Strad. I eventually took the 5-10% of remaining lacquer off, polished the raw brass, and had a beautiful trumpet. I've owned Ambassadors that outplay most Omega's, do yourself a favor and spend the extra money now to get the better horn for the time being and the future.
Ohanapecosh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Omega has the Bach name, a fair sound but is still an intermediate horn. For the price, there definately are some better options including a used Bach Strad.

They may of been a student horn in its day but still plays as good as some of the best, you might consider an Olds Ambassador (made in Los Angeles or early Fullerton Model). I bought a 53' Olds Ambassador on Ebay, sent it to Leigh McKinney in the UK, had an Eclipse conversion done and this is now an amazing horn.

Try Pick Music for the Kanstul line of horns. TH has a good market place with some used Bad Strad 37 that might be worth considering.
neevakee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all right well i went to the showroom and played on about ten diffrent trumpets, 3 omeags and seven strads. And the strads may have been slightly better, but not $700 diffrence, and my trumpet teacher felt the same way (he plays on a strad 43 with RL). I took it to school and played it next to a 43g and the omega was better and the owner of the 43g agreed and was kind of pissed too. My regular teacher who plays the french horn thought it was a great horn. Now i did play three other omegas untill i found the one that I liked the most and the other two were nowhere near as good as this one. now this isnt to say that that the other trumpets were the best, but as i said I could not see a diffrenece. As a side note my trumpet teacher is a professor for a very respectable university and is the conductor of a community band with professional players. As it has been said on this site before every horn has its own personality and this may just be a very well made horn. Also on the manufacture slip it say bach stradavarius, not bach omeag or bach. The place I went to give you an idea of my selection is called band insturment services at http://www.bandinstrumentservice.com. So im happy and have a little bit more money in my pocket and a new trumpet.
Ohanapecosh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes it's all about what you like and what fits you, not what others think you should play. Congrats on your new horn.
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did West Side Story on an Amati trumpet years ago.
Well, it worked, so why not?
Its what suits the way you play and the music you are playing at the time.

I play with a guy who has the oldest, most beat up East german horn you have ever seen.
He carries it in a rucksak, not a case.
The mouthpice is jammed in and has been for years.
He has the sweetest sound imagineable.
Great intonation too.
Sometimes we put oo much trust in the gear.
if we got one instrument and stuck to it we might all be better players.

Unfortunately there are too may horns and too little time to own them all.
Cornet - Geneva Heritage, Conn 28A
Mouthpieces - Monette 1-5 rims and similar.

Licensed Radio Amateur - GM4SVM
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on your new trumpet, and the smart way you went about finding it. Now you can go forth secure in the knowledge that this was the best deal all the way around. Now you have a little more cash to put toward all the other little things that come along.
KanstulBrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-08-09 22:56, neevakee wrote:
Also my school teacher said that ultiamtley I will want a strad so I should go ahead and buy it anyway.

Your teacher seems quite confident that you will ultimately want that Strad! =)
You would do best to play as many different brands as you can before you finally settle on anything. Best of Luck!

(Kanstul, Shires, BAC, Benge)
neevakee

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to thank everyone. I am very pleased with my horn. You guys are very right, it is the horn with the player, not the model or make of a horn. My little sis who has been playing trumpet for 3 months wouldn't make a decent sound on it. I wanted to get a protech case, but I love the case its in (leather). Once again thank you for all of your comments I really do appreciate it.

http://www.spreadthesite.com

[ This Message was edited by: neevakee on 2004-08-13 00:18 ]
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-08-10 00:33, pitchb wrote:
I have one that I played through middle school and the first two-and-a-half years of HS. It's an okay horn-- I bought a 1970 strad for $700 a year and-a-half ago (it's a gem, raw brass-- plays like a dream). The omega may limit you a little bit, but it's still got the bach pedigree (if you buy into that sort of thing). If you are interested, I'm willing to part with mine. It's used, but in pretty good condition. e-mail me if you are interested.

Question...where did you get your Bach Strad? Just out of curiosity.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: