• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Monette

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hilander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2001 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would a monette b2 mouthpiece work well with a bach?
TheMan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2001 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, generally speaking, a B2 will work with a Bach. Like ANY mouthpiece, there will be an acclimation period. Monettes do play differently than any other mouthpiece I have ever played. If you are used to a Bach 1 1/4 C mouthpiece, a Monette B2 would probably be the easiest to switch to.

My trumpet playing is a lot like my golf game...WAY too much chipping...
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2001 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-10-17 18:07 ]
SHS_Trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2001 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have played a Monette B4S, C4, B4L, and B4LVS on my Bachs and I loved them. From lead to the ballads I switched cup depths but the sound is always great. Depending on what kind of playing you do you should decide on different weights. For me both the STC-1 and LT's were great the STC weight gives somewhat a darker tone and the LT series was intended with more lead than ballad in mind. Don't get me wrong I played a LT B4LVS (extremely shallow piece) at a recent orchestra concert and I was commented on several times for my dark tone. A lot depends on the player. I think they have a core to the notes that makes everybody sound good. I haven't seen many disadvantages to the Monette's besides the fact they cost $200 and they are made of very soft metal. If you haven't ever owned a Monette be careful, they use very soft brass because it makes a better sound. We as the customers lose in the equation. I once laid my trumpet on the pavement in marching band and the tiny amount of weight from an old Bach Strad on the MP dented it. I've never seen anything like it. These things must be watched. I highly recommend a MP pouch. If you have ever had the pleasure of talking with the people at the Monette shop or Dave himself they all are quite friendly and can help you with your questions. Good Luck with the Monette?s.
Composing Trumpet

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2001 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur with TheMan. You should retain the same rim if you are considering a monette mouthpiece. I played on a 1 1/4 C and I now play on a B2D for classical and small group jazz and a B2L for lead. One thing to consider. Once acclimating to a monette (I do not claim to understand the phenomenon fully) the upper register seems to come much easier. If you are comfortable with your current range, I suggest a deeper cup. C-B or E-D and so forth. This will allow for a richer sound. This has been my experience. Anyone else experience the same?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dales
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2002 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would be the first Monette mouthpiece to try for someone playing a Bach 2C (on a Xeno)? There's no match for the 2C on the comparison chart. Maybe B4 is the closest?
loudog
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2002 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go with the B3 if I were you. Monette says that it's best to go slightly bigger from your regular mouthpiece to theirs, as it is more efficient. I found this to be true, as I went from a Bach 1 1/2 to a Monette B2, and it worked really well.
SHS_Trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2002 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the B4s it has a great rim the B4 has a sharp bite on the rim and it really cut up my lips. I think the B3 has the same thing also. The B4S has a more efficient cup shape making high notes easier but the cup is relatively deep and makes a very beautiful sound.
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2002 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-10-17 18:07 ]
dales
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2002 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all.
improver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i played a 16.5 (2c) and the Monnette B4s is awesome mpc
BigBadWolf
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was an undergrad I had the whole set of Monette 1-1s (C1-1, B1-1, P1-1 [before AP and BP] and E1-1). I was able to play them as with bachs fine. However, when I left Boston I was in for a rude awakening realising that I could not play on those mouthpieces with anyone else. I ended up having to scrap the lot and move on to, now what I feel are, much better mouthpieces. So, it was a blessing in disguise. Every now and again I will pull out one of those monstrosities and play around, but not very often. People generally will not hire you much if you are playing on them.

Kevin
nextbrassguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Monette B2 with my Strad 72/25LR, and am very pleased with the combination.
trumpetchops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went from a Bach 1-B to a Monette B15M
daDavemeister
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

When I was an undergrad I had the whole set of Monette 1-1s (C1-1, B1-1, P1-1 [before AP and BP] and E1-1). I was able to play them as with bachs fine. However, when I left Boston I was in for a rude awakening realising that I could not play on those mouthpieces with anyone else. I ended up having to scrap the lot and move on to, now what I feel are, much better mouthpieces. So, it was a blessing in disguise. Every now and again I will pull out one of those monstrosities and play around, but not very often. People generally will not hire you much if you are playing on them.

Kevin

Why couldn't you play with anyone else using those mouthpieces? Did you find that your sound wasn't blending or something?
BigBadWolf
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it was not a matter of me not blending. For the most part, I felt as if I was. People would just see the mouthpiece and automatically pass certain judgements. Once someone saw the mouthpiece they would just act different. So, I switched back and I am much happier now. I personally feel that I sound and play a lot better now on my Bach mouthpieces. Maybe, partly it was because the C1-1 was just so big; after that I tried going to a Bach 1 and it was also a hassle. Once I moved to the 1C rim things really opened up a lot more. But, if you can get away with playing on your monettes, more power to you. Whatever works...

kevin
daDavemeister
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad there aren't any judgemental doo-doo heads like that around here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: