• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

how...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dominicano224
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how do you know when you found the "right" mouthpiece? alot of you wonder aimlessly for the best mouthpiece, and you might have already played it. A lot of people change because something feels new and different rather then better, so i think this is an important question.
blasticore
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally, people will probably stop talking about it holding them back, or want to play more. Playing should probably be easier on the right one for you.
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I swore to myself I would stick with a 7C on trumpet and my trusty 5A on cornet for the first 6 months of my comeback, and read everything I could lay my hands on for mouthpieces, until I understood what I wanted. I bought some on ebay to see how different rims felt, and really liked the Storks. I matched up the backbore for a Giardenelli 7S to the Stork rim, and ordered a Studio Master 10VM. The key was, I constantly went back to the 7C for comparison as a baseline, rather than just playing one of the ebay 'pieces primarily.

Worked for me, anyway.
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My criteria, in order: tone, intonation, range, endurance and feel. (At least those are my priorities, in general, with range and endurance moved forward on a lead piece, but tone always first). You go for the best balance for you and your horn. If you've got more than one horn, then you may need different mpcs for each. I find that I need a lead piece and a "legit" piece for each horn.

Comeback players, IMHO, should start with a midrange piece, like a 3C, 5C, 7C or a GR65M or 66M and stick with it for a good while. Stay away from the larger sizes and work on getting a full, resonant tone with a midrange mpc. After a year or two, you may be ready for mpc optimization, but I think it's a mistake to go on a safari while you're still building you chops up to a base level.

The most common big mistake I see people making is starting with too large a mpc, like a 1X or 1 1/2C. If they're not ready, those mpcs will sound fat and tubby, rather than full and resonant. If you can make the horn resonate in all registers, then you can experiment with those big pieces; however, if you struggle with intonation and occasional dull tone, then you should stay away from those bigger pieces. I think that most adults can really get the best performance out of something in the 3C/5C/7C range. Most of us never need to go any bigger. If your tone is thin with these pieces it's a support or embouchure issue, not the mpc, generally.

Dave
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's excellent advice from Dave.
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26763
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When everything works and your colleagues say you sound great - you know you are onto a good thing.
improver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would generally agree with what has been said. If you feel uncomfortable or you dont have enough room to articulate and play with the same ease and eveness in every register or your tone isnt as clear try a different or bigger mpc. it has taken me years to finally get eqip. right especialy mpc. i have always tryed to mke 3c work because i like the sound but it was to shallow for me. i have finally settled on B4s deeper mpc. also the mpc to trumpet relayionship is paramount. some mpcs dont work well with some horns some work better some work great find the one that works great
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: