• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

me or the mouthpiece

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AeroStud1026
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play on a Bach 3C Megatone, and I notice when Im playing constantly such as a song that has no measures rest its just straight through, playing tends to get uncomfortable. I can still play fine it just doesnt feel good at times. Not everytime either, I dont think its the mouthpiece because Ive been playing on it since last January and if it really felt that uncomfortable I probably would have switched, so Im thinking its probably me not the piece. For instance yesterday I played this song and about half to 3/4 way threw it started feeling uncomfortable, but today I played the exact same song and didnt feel much discomfort

I'm thinking it may also have to with the fact that from about June - to towards the end of July I didnt pick up the horn at all and since from mid-July to now Ive been playing everyday, maybe its due to that? Maybe some rust still needs to be worked out?

Matt
Bach Strad 37 ML
Bach 3CW w/24 throat mpc

"Right now I am lost, but I am on a path and will eventually find myself, and once the path ends I will have found myself; the best in the world"
fuzzyjon79
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think dbacon says something like... play on the mouthpiece consistently for at least 3 weeks before switching... and there's a good chance you'll end up NOT switching.....at least I think it was dbacon that said that... if not.. I apologize.
alanbach
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an old saying in UK brass bands: Miss practising for one day and YOU'LL know about it. Miss practising for two days and the BAND knows about it. Miss practising for three days and THE WHOLE WORLD knows about it.
E.D.Lewis
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the guys are trying to be polite but what they really want to say is, it's you not the mouthpiece. Think about it, if a mouthpiece feels good one day and not another, what has changed? Certainly not the mouthpiece (unless you dropped it on the pavement ). I had the same problem with endurance until I started practicing long tones. Everyone has their own workout routine but I like Caruso. Keep your practice sessions consistent and your playing is bound to be more, you guessed it, consistent. Good luck...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: