• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Valves on the Callet Jazz

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hilgenboogie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:15 pm    Post subject: Valves on the Callet Jazz Reply with quote

Anyone have any experience with Callet (or for that matter, Kanstul) valves being a little stubborn?

I'm buying a used, great condition Jazz model from a friend, and I'm having trouble keeping the valves the way I like them. I know there's a break in period since my fingers push the valves down differently than my friend's did, and blah blah blah, but I'd like to try some alternatives.

I've changed the heavy springs to stock Bach springs and I'm using Zaja Blue oil, and I bathed the horn the day after I got it. I'd love to get the valves to move more like my Bach (oh, so smooth).

Any suggestions?

Matt
gustav
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would check with Lee Adams. ie Trumpetchops.com. Lee makes the Callet Jazz and knows every thing about them. One topflite guy.
SHS_Trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small correction, Lee doesn't actually "make" the trumpet. He owns Callet Trumpets, they are actaully made by kanstul. He does however do a great job of representing them, and is very Knowledgeable.
jgadvert
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry recommends using natural oils for the valves. I am sure that he would not recomend you use Zaja. I have been using Fat Cat(all natural)
and it has worked best so far. The valves on the Callet must be kept meticulously spotless or they will likely stick. Somtimes more trouble then it is worth. I find Getzen valves are not nearly as much a probelm.

Perhaps Lee has his own preference....other than having a special valve procedure done
jblo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently picked up a used Kanstul F. Besson piccolo and had the same problem with the third valve. I also figured that it was b/c I pushed the valve i little differently, especially since there is no pinky hook. FWIW, my friend raves about his Getzen valves but I had problems with the third valve on that horn to when I used it. I must just have a goofy finger!

After about 2-3 months, the third valve on the picc is sticking less and less. During that time, I've cleaned the valve and casing frequently as well as reapplied oil frequently. FWIW I'm using Zaja Blue, though I did try Al Cass with unfavorable results.

Bb - CarolBrass CTR-5205L-YLT-P
Cornet - CarolBrass CCR-6880-YLS-P
C - CarolBrass CTR-6262H-YSS-P-C
Flug - CarolBrass CFL-6200-RSS-L
Picc - CarolBrass CPC-7735F-YLS-P
hilgenboogie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jblo wrote:
I recently picked up a used Kanstul F. Besson piccolo and had the same problem with the third valve. ... FWIW I'm using Zaja Blue, though I did try Al Cass with unfavorable results.

Yeah, I have the same picc and I've never had any problems, although the springs just seem kind of heavy. I've only found Al Cass to be really good on valves that are already excellent. It's just never helped me with "problem" valves.

Anybody try BiNak Pro on a Callet? I tried it on my Yamaha Z horn, Yamaha flugel, and Bach Bb and it totally made all my valves slow. I might try it on this horn, though, and see what happens.

jgadvert wrote:
Jerry recommends using natural oils for the valves. I am sure that he would not recomend you use Zaja.

It's funny, every time I go over there he has a big bottle of Zaja sitting there for anyone to use. And he's listed as a "Zaja Artist" (http://zajamusic.com/artists.htm) Are you sure you're sure?

Matt
WFUnix
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack Kanstul recommends Pro Oil Hybrid. That's what I use on my Kanstul valves and they work great.
JAZZ-PLAYER-COLLECTOR
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a possible sollution for you. Put a few drops of woodwind type key oil into your bottle of valve oil. Try more and more if needed. This just thickens the oil a bit and often works miracles. (Can often help some older horns too, whose valves have lost some of their compression.)

Just an old instrument repairmen's trick... Tom in Texas
8 Yamahas, 5 Committees, 2 Edwards Gen X
4 Marcinkeiwicz, 9 Harrelsons, and 4 Eclipses
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 7:04 pm    Post subject: Zig Kanstul... Reply with quote

...recommends Roche-Thomas oil.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
jgadvert
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hilgenboogie:

Jerry never suggested Zaja to me. Does he use it on his "own" horns.
He specifically directed me to a local private vendor with a premium natural oil. I was using stuff like Blue Juice and 5 Star and he didnt think those were best. He didnt seem to like most of the stuff on the market.

Oh yeah, ...he was also against "my" changing the springs idea. The ones on there are already perfect for the design. Maybe having a valve procedure is the only way to solve the problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: